SBB launches Starbucks coffee coach

DavidB-AU

A Swiss Federal Railways IC2000 double-deck buffet car has been refurbished and branded as a Starbucks Coffee House. From November 21 it will be used for a nine-month trial period on two daily services from Genève and Fribourg to St Gallen, and the success of the venture will be evaluated before a decision is made on future use

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/sbb-launches-starbucks-coffee-coach.html

Starbucks is a company that I choose not to support for two reasons. First is that it has an issue serving our servicemen when they are in uniform and second is the - apparently legal - manoeuvring of costs to avoid UK taxation on significant sales they make here. Other mediocre coffee sellers are available!

• RMweb Gold

It's bad enough trying to avoid Starbucks on the ground but now to find them taking over a train is even worse.  I wonder if the standard of seating cleanliness will be reduced to that which seems prevalent in our local branch (no, I haven't been in there, they have a very large window with gives an excellent - alas - view of some of their seating).  I think Chrisf i s taking the right approach and with luck a 'No Starbucks' symbol will be appearing in printed and online timetables to allow an informed choice of route or train.

It's not advertising, it's an actual Starbucks on rails.

http://blog.sbb.ch/starbucksaufschienen/2012/11/06/

Much like the McDonald's on rails SBB had in the early 90s.....

Yes, I know, but it is also mobile advertising, and SBB derives revenue from allowing their stock to be plastered in this way. It's been like this ever since the Re460s and Rail2000 stock designs were introduced.

Archived