Trams and Trains in Lisbon

rodshaw

If you ever go to Lisbon, be sure to take tourist tram No. 28. It clatters around the hilly city centre, in places missing parked traffic either side by inches. As there are no dedicated tram lanes, the trams also have to contend with the rest of the traffic, and have no priority.

A cracking ride!

post-14205-0-63786900-1384629549_thumb.jpg

More photos of Lisbon trams and trains to follow.

I remember catching a train or tram (would you know?) from downtown out to Estoril in about 1965!!!! Any idea what line that would have been (I was only 14 at the time).

Best, Pete.

Pete

That would be the train we got from Lisbon Cais do Sodre station to Cascais, passing through Estoril. See first 3 photos in post #4. The trams don't go that far.

The Estoriil Railway (Lisboa Cais de Sodre - Cascais) was privately operated until 1976.  .

A history of the line can be read here: http://www.luso.u-net.com/estoril.htm

It seems that the operating company had a penchant for British built rolling stock, culminating in a unique electric locomotive built by North British (Queens Park works, b/n 26683) in 1950. This locomotive is now preserved at Entroncamento, but is seen here after the company had been absorbed into CP, in rather scruffy condition, at Cais de Sodre, 1988.

post-10122-0-95771300-1384722431_thumb.jpg

If you go to Lisbon and are staying more than a day buy a LiboaPass.  It lets use any of the transportation in and around the city- trolleys, street elevator (designed by a student of Eiffel), the funicular that go up and down hill and the metro.  Its definitely a cost saver.

Lisbon is a rail lovers city.  The trolleys are great.  If you are lucky you may get this very funny and a bit crazy lady driver on the #28 in the evening.  We had a lot of chuckles as she maneuvered downhill through traffic and had some "pointed" comments for the drivers in the way.  The other routes are great rides also.

Porto is another great place for trolleys also.  There's also a narrow gauge railway that goes up the Duoro valley.

Dave

Oh happy memories of my short visit there a few years back. I always wondered what stopped the hill climbing street car,  just along from the elevator, from careering across the street at the bottom and planting itself in the shops opposite. The rails just sort of ended in the street. No stops, nothing.

I found it was always a good idea to look left and right before stepping out of a shop door in case of sudden tram / person interface.

Another place that looked  impressive (but unfortunatley had no time to get off my train to look around,) was Lisbon Oriente station.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Archived