LNER boundary posts on ECML

Coming back to lineside signs, anyone know what this is for?

About 3 miles N of Doncaster, between Arksey & Shaftholme on the down side of the main line. Pretty old looking concrete with "L Y" . I wondered London | York for some sort of demarcation line, but it's so much closer to York. I've googled without success.

post-6971-0-60199000-1385913593.jpg

and with a train for scale

post-6971-0-77709500-1385913776.jpg

Coming back to lineside signs, anyone know what this is for?

About 3 miles N of Doncaster, between Arksey & Shaftholme on the down side of the main line. Pretty old looking concrete with "L Y" . I wondered London | York for some sort of demarcation line, but it's so much closer to York. I've googled without success.

attachicon.gifLY sign Doncaster area.jpg

I say it's a POST, DIVISION (AREA or RAILWAY) Catalogue number 661./2/35

A super find there Eastwest! I've often wondered if these things were even made let alone survived. This must have been the division between London and York areas of the LNER. Other boundaries are mentioned on the drawing..

post-4034-0-89470700-1385916357_thumb.jpg

My guess is, from looking at the drawing, this is not a portable asset. Occasionally we find thing's on disused lines or even next to open lines that are worthy of preservation. To me this is one of those items. Convincing the NRM of such is going to be a problem.

Aha. Fancy that. How many '000s of people must pass it every day?!

Y/E and E/Y on your scan would be York/Edinburgh divisions presumably. 

I always imagined the regional boundary at Marshal Meadows and that would leave a couple of places out like Darlington and Newcastle. I've heard of one with Y/D on it which must be York/Darlington.

I wonder if now is a good time to hunt these down and record their positions? Due regard must be paid to railway bylaws and personal safety etc. From what i've seen so far they can be noted from trains or outside the boundary fence..

is there any record of those divisional boundary locations? 

I'm wondering if there could be another one L/Y post on the Doncaster-Leeds line dividing the London and York responsibilities?

And if Y/E is York/Edinburgh, how does that fit in with the D for Darlington in post 43 above?

Time for a new thread maybe, as this is hidden among "ECML photos"?

About 3 miles N of Doncaster, between Arksey & Shaftholme on the down side of the main line. Pretty old looking concrete with "L Y" . I wondered London | York for some sort of demarcation line, but it's so much closer to York...

One quick look at my 1904 RCH atlas confirms that this was pretty much where the GNR terminated in a muddy field, a short walk North of Doncaster. Happily the NER had neatly arranged to terminate a line from York there also. Which does rather suggest that the Y | E and E | Y markers might be looked for in Berwick on Tweed the former NBR/NER end on junction.

One quick look at my 1904 RCH atlas confirms that this was pretty much where the GNR terminated in a muddy field, a short walk North of Doncaster. Happily the NER had neatly arranged to terminate a line from York there also. Which does rather suggest that the Y | E and E | Y markers might be looked for in Berwick on Tweed the former NBR/NER end on junction.

Interesting. On the other hand, the big Cobb atlas suggests that the GNR ended in an end-on junction with the L&Y line via Askern in 1848, and the NER didn't arrive via the current ECML until 1871.

Also, this marker was south of the "Smallholme and Tilts drain" (see my marker on the OS map on Bing maps here), while the end-on junction with the Askern was (and is) north of that waterway.

But close enough for a convenient boundary in LNER days. And yes, it does suggest the Y | E markers might be found where you say.

• 5 months later...

There was one just west of Grosmont that was D/Y - Darlington & York boundary, it seems to have vanished in recent times tho

I'm going to be up that way doing some testing soon. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Interesting. On the other hand, the big Cobb atlas suggests that the GNR ended in an end-on junction with the L&Y line via Askern in 1848, and the NER didn't arrive via the current ECML until 1871.

Also, this marker was south of the "Smallholme and Tilts drain" (see my marker on the OS map on Bing maps here), while the end-on junction with the Askern was (and is) north of that waterway.

But close enough for a convenient boundary in LNER days. And yes, it does suggest the Y | E markers might be found where you say.

I always thought the G.N.R. terminated in Bradford, and  Shaftholme was the junction with the N.E.R.

Archived