Redhill station plans or photos?

John Oxlade

Does anyone have any photos of the art-deco station building that used to be at street level on the upside? It was replaced by a fish-bowl monstrosity in the (80s or 90s??) and for some reason photos seem to be a bit thin on the ground. I'm not talking about the original building on Redstone Hill but the one facing the market square.

Although the Skaledale art-deco signalbox is "pretty close" to the Redhill "A" box (north end of station), drawings of it would be good too if available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Oxlade

• 1 month later...

Partly to answer my own question, Middleton Press' "Guildford to Redhill" has a good square-on frontal shot of the art-deco building. Their "Redhill to Ashford" also has a view from more round the side. If no actual plans pop up, it should be possible to work out a "near enough" plan of the building from these photos and working from the height of the door. Between those two, and Middleton's "East Croydon to Three Bridges", there are quite a few good shots of Redhill; but still surprisingly few of the 1930s designed building.

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing it numerous times but never took any photos.It all changed before moving to the area so all I have is a couple of photos taken on platform 1 whilst changing trains one wintry day.

I do have many photos taken in the mid 90's onwards if you need any particular details.

Edited by roundhouse

• 7 years later...

Hi John

Just wondered if you progressed this any more, I too am now looking to build a setup in a shed and too wondered about doing a Merstham to Redhill layout. Some of the old photos are amazing and I had forgotten how much railway usage was going on in the Redhill area.  I was hoping to find more on the Redhill sidings but with not much joy other than the photos in this link.

I too was at Redstone and Springvale, at the same time as yourself!