Playing in the Rec

MattWallace

Hi all,

So whilst I wait for time to go banging around in the loft and work on Marshfield Junction, I thought I'd put together a small plank to give me the ability to test trains/decoders/weathering techniques/block detection/etc/etc...

Because this is a place to experiment and muck around it doesn't have a name, although "playground" seemed most apt when I did the initial drawing.  It will be set in the present day because it's a test for Marshfield and so it needs to reflect the same era.

The track plan (because everyone needs a track plan!) is as follows:

11235519575_677e28eae1.jpg

This gives me a low-level "shunting yard" (the track lengths should accommodate a loco up to a class 70) with a set of points to test point motors/switching/blade detection, three "blocks" to test block detection and a high level single track for testing simple running back and forth.

My plan is to have a small lift-off tunnel portal to the right of the lower section to test scenics for embankments and tunnels, a wall running along the back of the low-level to play with weathering, graffiti and the like, one track of the low level for "hard standing" techniques and the other for ballasting.

The High Level will be a small station for testing urban/platform techniques and possibly some signals as well.

The whole "layout" (and I use the phrase *very* loosely here!) will be controlled by JMRI via MERG CBUS.  This may seem like overkill for such a small setup, however it means I can swap my various modules in and out to test point control/block detection etc and learn to use JMRI "properly".

I'm hoping to get started on the Baseboard today and should have some more pics over the weekend.

Cheers,

Matt

That's a long 'lunch hour'....

Heh, actually, it took me approx 40 minutes to cut that benchwork out. :)

It took me slightly longer (nearly two hours) to put it together today, but I'mpretty pleased with the result:

11256929413_7b5c22fbb2.jpg

And it looks pretty cool with some flexi track just laid on top of it:

11256857145_6c08aeaf78.jpg

The content of the box electrics-wise is going to consist of the following (all from http://www.merg.org.uk/ !):

1 x CANCMD  CBusDCC Control Station

1 x CANUSB   CBus USB Interface

1 x CANACC4 CBus Solenoid Point Controller

1 x CANACE8C CBus feedback controller

3 x PMP7 DCC Train Detector (connects to CANACE8C to provide feedback to JMRI for Block Detection)

1 x PMP16 Turnout Position Sensor (connects to CANACE8C to provide feedback to JMRI for Block Detection)

Apart from two PMP7s and the PMP16, all are already soldered and ready to be fitted...

More on this as I get a chance to work on it,

Matt

So more time spent on the layout tonight, and some progress made.

The first was to add some brick cladding temporarily - I'd forgotten just how much of a difference it makes!

11343722616_13f71a0886.jpg

and to give a (very!) rough idea of what the plank looks like with track and electronics (not their final positions!):

11343775834_39118dcabb.jpg

And finally, a video of the block detection working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZl2n1U7HU

The block detection is a DCC ToTI (Train on Track Indicator) which works by detecting a change in resistance and feeding that to the CANACE8C which then puts the message back on the bus. The ToTI is part of the new "pocket money projects" range of kits from MERG and costs just £1.50 per kit, meaning that if you add the CANACE8C, you can manage 8 blocks of track for just £22.

Now I just need to build the other three ToTIs and the point position detector...

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I've not had any time to work on this recently due to family events and the like, which is a real shame as this is what was meant to keep me occupied whilst the larger layout was left in the loft until I had time to work on it properly.

I also spent my Christmas money on a remote-control Helicopter so that I'd have something to play with during my lunch breaks at work, but the winds have been too strong to launch it... :(

• 5 months later...

Wow, so I've not posted about this since January, that gives you an idea of just how much "stuff" has been going on elsewhere in my life!

For those of you who are only following this thread and not my other ones, I've renamed and redesigned what was going to be "Marshfield Junction" and I'm building a worktop/test track in the loft that's a continuous loop on a 6x4 so I can run trains in properly after I've tried to repair them.

Progress on this particular layout has been slow however I now have it sprayed grey and the lower track is laid and wired.  I couldn't resist a (very!) small running session last night after I got the track down so here are a few pics of how it currently looks with 20128 and 66701 in place:

14546151281_04e10b68b4_o.jpg

14363100717_3c139504ea_o.jpg

14362958088_37d66edda5_o.jpg

The stop light against the buffer is a Train-Tech BL-1 Buffer light and it just slots in to place.  Apparently I get both lights lit because I'm running DCC, if you're running DC then only 1 light comes on and the brightness varies with speed.  Either way, it was £5 from Pecorama (well worth a visit if you're in the Beer/Exeter area) and it looks great!

• 2 months later...

Loads more time has passed and I've managed to get back to the bench layout today.

I've now go two blocks wired up and here's a detailed pair of videos describing the setup and showing what it looks like once it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ982J_SSfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2GKA4bFC2U

Third block and a dual-aspect signal to be wired up next!

Matt

• 1 month later...

I'm taking what I've learned from this thread and others and I'm building a 16x1ft layout with either cassettes or a traversing FY (I've not decided which yet!) over at  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90847-this-might-even-get-built/

Please do follow the new thread, I might even get track down properly on this one!

Matt

Archived