'Looking Back At Western Region Hydraulics'

Rugd1022

From the Strathwood stable by Kevin Derrick, all colour, 96 pages, ISBN 978-1-905276-39-4.

A very good addition to the colour Strathwood albums.... covers all seven classes, 14 / 22 / 35 / 41 / 42 / 43 & 52 with a good spread of the liveries they carried, some of the pics are actually quite stunning to look at, looking as if they'd been taken only last week. About a dozen have appeared previously in print or online but the rest are all 'new'. The only mistake I've spotted is in the caption to a lovely shot of D849 in blue, it says it's at St. Blazey but is actually Long Rock, Penzance. (It's a stirling shot all the same).

From a modelling point of view there are some fantastic examples of weathering in this book, especially on the D63xxs and Warships which often ended up in a shocking state. It may have appeared too late for Dapol to make use of, but there is a glimpse of what lies behind the access flaps along the solebar of D6307 in one shot.

Recommended!

Nidge O;)

I'll second that. Got mine at the Warley show, and was previously on the look out for the English Electric book too, but I didn't think that was as good as the Hydraulics one, so didn't bother with that. Maybe that was because the Western book's photos were mostly older, and to me, more interesting. That's not to say the English Electric book isn't good, as it will appeal to serious EE fans.

I'm in complete agreement - a whole book of what (to me) are previously unpublished shots.

Especially a 'nine-fiver' alongside Radyr shed in May '65 - just as I remember it.

And the full page shot of a careworn green "six-threer" just begs to be replicated.

Still begs the question, where were the photographers in South Wales - enthusiasts today would think hydraulics were rare west of Severn Tunnel Jct. !

Brian R

I've been pawing over my copy all week! You made a good point about South Wales being 'ignored' in a way Brian, apart from lots of shots of Hymeks at CF, you hardly see anything else hydraulic wise.

[bTW Phil, I haven't forgotten that disc of pics I promised....tis now done and will be on its way to sunny / snowy Wakefield as soon as I can get to the GPO. I think you'll be well pleased mate ;O)]

Nidge

• 2 weeks later...

Archived