American O Scale: "Portway Terminal Short Line, MN".

F-UnitMad

On 19/04/2020 at 17:06, F-UnitMad said:

20200419_154509.jpg.c6a40c8fea9bec4e8c9ae30f00e36184.jpg

Then two came up on ebay this week!!  By the time I saw them, bidding had already started on the one, but the other still had the Buy It Now price up, and for a "must have" model it was too good to miss!! :good: Received it yesterday.

At time of writing the other one is still listed & bids are low, so I'm keeping my eye on it as well. But even if it sells to someone else for less than the B-i-N price I paid, still a Happy Bunny!! :yes:

The other one of these hoppers just sold a few minutes ago for £83:00.

Makes the B-i-N price I paid look even more of a bargain now!! :sungum:

Very Happy Bunny indeed!! 

sorry, no gloating intended. :blush:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

I presumed it was a Canadian car.  Like wot it sez on the label.

Andy

Ah you're on about that one still..!! I thought you were talking about the chassis. 

It might have Canadian Pacific written on it, but it has SOO reporting marks ;) and on sites like RR picture archives, it's in the Soo Line stock lists, not CP Rail.

7 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ah you're on about that one still..!! I thought you were talking about the chassis. 

It might have Canadian Pacific written on it, but it has SOO reporting marks ;) and on sites like RR picture archives, it's in the Soo Line stock lists, not CP Rail.

Silly me, I only noticed that later.  That's what comes of being uninterested and hence ignorant in the finer details of more modern US freight cars.  I'm still just getting used to the appearance of the 36 ft "Sheds on wheels".  But the PE did handle freight and so I must have a few around for the cute Juice Jacks to move about ;)

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

Silly me, I only noticed that later. 

The Soo Line was very closely linked to Canadian Pacific for most of it's existence, not just because they met at 3 places on the border - Portal ND, Noyes MN and Sault Sainte Marie MI ('Sault' being pronounced 'Soo', the origin of the name), but also CP was a majority shareholder even when Soo was an autonomous Company. In the early '90s CP Rail took full control, & Soo Line shares were removed from Wall Street, but Soo rolling stock in particular stayed listed under that name.

Sorry, "Soo Line Anorak/Bore Mode" /OFF.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

The Soo Line was very closely linked to Canadian Pacific for most of it's existence, not just because they met at 3 places on the border - Portal ND, Noyes MN and Sault Sainte Marie MI ('Sault' being pronounced 'Soo', the origin of the name), but also CP was a majority shareholder even when Soo was an autonomous Company. In the early '90s CP Rail took full control, & Soo Line shares were removed from Wall Street, but Soo rolling stock in particular stayed listed under that name.

Sorry, "Soo Line Anorak/Bore Mode" /OFF.

Some of us are rather vague on all these links between the various companies. So it ws of interest to me. Most of my knowledge of US railroads comes from reading Model Railroader and RMC. I had a load when a teenager which my mother kindly gave away while I was at college. I did wonder whether that justified matricide.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...

Another "long term" project of mine makes a teeny bit more progress.... this is a Weaver GP38-2 that I detailed up & posted about a while back; but with the warm weather today a bit more progress has been made with painting.

Amazingly I have forsaken the One True Livery of White and Red for something slightly more up-to-date which took my fancy - CSX Bright Future.

This is what the model is based on....

000060715520.Jpeg.247eac3d15f93f2076b861270e571cd4.Jpeg

....and this is where I am at the moment, with Halfords rattle cans (again posted several pages ago!) and some inept masking on the frame, where yellow has blown through gaps onto the blue.

The main body shell has just received the grey top coat, "Ford Polar grey".

20200506_170431.jpg.abb465806a439c4bc600c9db1a50e419.jpg

• Like 12

Andrew, not intended to make life any more challenging(!), but if the particular GP38-2 you're modelling has the later close fans at the end of the long hood, Des Plaines Hobbies may well have some appropriate etched overlays still in stock.

Jason

I've just replied to a plea from Jordan about DCC, so I'm ready for anything!!  Anyway, I've got a couple of  Weaver GP38-2s to get right and, as you've found, EMD jazzed the line up some.  I believe(!) the toolmakers close to Weaver's factory went down the local Lehigh Valley yard and measured/photographed either a LV GP38AC, (late GP38s) or early -2s which had the 2 spaced out radiator fans at the end of the long hood.  Later 38-2s had the close together pair.  Page 141 in the MR Diesel Cyclop. shows this in the L&N and Conrail locos (top left). 

Happily for me, the ex-RDG 39-2s the D&H acquired at Conrail formation had spaced out fans with minor roof changes at the front of the long hood and I acquired a nice conversion from the late Chis Iverson.

You're working from photos so you'll have seen the variation in radiator screens.  On the real thing they could be flush or have panels over, depending on climate, etc I guess.  The later 38-2s have a single panel where the Weaver shell has 2 side-by-side.  As the man said 'the more I know, the more I find I don't know'!!

Photos please!

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My understanding was that Weaver copied an early GP38, which may or may not have been -2.

Despite my current problem with the drive on mine, I do like that drive system, as the trucks have a bit of in-built equalisation, so they cope very well with rough track ( :whistle: :angel: ) and there's only one motor for the DCC decoder to worry about, instead of two as per the Atlas "China drive", where one motor is always just slightly out of kilter with the other... :banghead:

9 hours ago, andrew's trains said:

F-Unit;

The big problem here in Aus is the shipping cost. If something costs $10.00US in Australia by the time we pay shipping and GST (Sales Tax on imports) it will cost out at around $25.00 AU. I can spend my time making the thing for less. Not economical in small numbers.

Yes, we suffer the same in the UK. I think it's one reason why modelling US Outline has dropped off somewhat here, too.

I think I got those grills as part of a 'bulk bits' order to try and save a bit on shipping costs.

• Agree 1

A light-hearted diversion that's been waiting on the Shelf of Doom too long....

My third (& probably last) old Atlas/Roco O Scale Plymouth Switcher:- Number 30 gets a bit closer to joining the Portway Terminal Short Line roster....

20200525_225116.jpg.782630f17581ac3a8f3a4cecbcd5b3c1.jpg

Today it's had a Digitrax decoder fitted, Kadee couplers fitted, bodyshell painted, and numbers/lettering added.

Still to do - matt varnish the shell, add glazing, fit headlights & beacon, fit handrails, and find a driver.

The three of them consist up quite well together, but don't need Sound - they make enough racket between them growling around the layout!!! 

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Stuff GP 38s, Atlas Plymouths are where it’s at.

I thought it was Beeps?? :scratchhead:

Oh no, of course - it's only Beeps when they have an Atlas chassis. ;) :mosking:

2 hours ago, JAMO said:

Ha, ha, ha: that's right. They have a "Caterpillar diesel" sound track included from Roco :D

Yes you're right Jacky!! Cat 2-stroke does almost sum them up!!

I like this one on YouTube, as it has sideframes like the Atlas one, albeit 0-4-0 rather than 0-6-0.*

*Edit - of course the one in the video is also 3ft gauge, rather than standard....

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I thought it was Beeps?? :scratchhead:

Oh no, of course - it's onle Beeps when they have an Atlas chassis. ;) :mosking:

Yes you're right Jacky!! Cat 2-stroke does almost sum them up!!

I like this one on YouTube, as it has sideframes like the Atlas one, albeit 0-4-0 rather than 0-6-0.

Nice sound! I like the 2 stroke motors' sounds.

16 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

IIRC Cat engines are all 4 stroke engines Detroit diesels were two stroke.

D'oh!! :blush:Yes you're probably right.

I expect Plymouths probably had in-house engines too, and never saw a Cat. Wikipedia is rather vague, and only says that some early gas-powered Plymouths had Chysler engines, which I take to mean petrol.(?)