Minicraft Drill Transformer MB730

DayReturn

Hello

I have a couple of Minicraft MB150 low voltage drills, and a while ago I blew the transformer.  Minicraft are no longer with us, so I replaced the transformer with a Maxicraft 820121 unit, which is just as good, arguably, better, except for the annoying need for an adaptor for the 13.5V socket.  I would like to be able to repair the blown transformer, it is a Minicraft MB730, mainly because I resent having to bin something that doesn't seem to have much wrong with it (!).  I've opened it up and can't see any visible fault, so I wondered if anyone with better electrical knowledge can advise on what is the most likely component to have blown (and it isn't the mains fuse!).  I have rudimentary knowledge of electronics and a fancy multimeter.

Good enough reason not to meddle.

Hmm, if that was true I'd have given up this hobby when I got bored with my Tri-ang R151 (SECR Class "S")  0-6-0ST No.748 at age 3.  ... A very long time ago.

These turn up fairly regularly on eBay for around £15-20 if you don't fancy disassembling the blown unit, you may need to give it a couple of weeks for the sales to pick up after Christmas.

Thanks Corax, I'd noticed - no I've already got a replacement in the Maxicraft unit, I want to repair the Minicraft MB730 if that's possible.

• 10 months later...

Hello DayReturn and Corax67,

May I ask whether you had any joy attempting to repair your Minicraft 730 transformer?

I have one here. The red light comes on and (as it always has) the light flickers when I rotate the power wheel, but no power is getting to the two-pin socket.

Like you, I'd like to repair it, if possible. Corax, you said you'd had experience of the voltage regulator blowing; but, I'm thinking that would preclude my red light coming on?

Any thoughts? Do you still have the broken 730, DayReturn?

Thanks,

Rick

Archived