3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

What an improvement on the original cab front, it definitely looks the part. 

Simon, any indication on when you'll be able to start selling these and how much? I would also be interested in 25/1 cabs.

Adriano

In the interests of seeing which cab fits best I started a second conversion today using the cabs from the mould that is bottom fed. These were a bit easier to fit as the rear of the cab roof had formed better although the roof is rather thin. The damaged cab had broken at the thinest part near where the mould feed is. I have repaired this cab as a spare as I am concious that as these parts are unique if the locos were ever damaged I would have problems repairing it so it is prudent to have a spare.

I thought it would be worth sharing a few photos of the cutting work in progress although it is pretty self explanatory, I started with the roof first using the rivet line as a guide:

post-7400-0-74403000-1421009790_thumb.jpg

The sides are then cut one by one. The old handrails form a useful guide, to cut through:

post-7400-0-49469100-1421009850_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-13519300-1421009864_thumb.jpg

I still needed to add a little filler around the roof join but not as much as the first loco. Just need to add the lamp irons, headboard clips which Simon supplied plus handrails (as well as new Shawplan EE radiator fan grilles) and it is into the paintshop.

post-7400-0-09090100-1421010016_thumb.jpg

Must say even without paint they still look terrific Rob.

Neil

Thanks Neil, It is all credit to Simon for making the effort to produce the cabs, the bit I have done is the easy bit. I am hoping to have the loco's finished in time to use them on Peafore Yard at Cheltenham in April if you want to see them in the flesh. 

Time for another little update on wagon progress.

This time it's 2D printing.  A the wagons have progressed I've been looking for ways to finish them off and only found limited transfers available for the wagons which made me think about drawing my own.

I did this in Microsoft paint - basic but simple program, scaled and printed using Microsoft word onto decal paper bought off Ebay.  First test was some decals for the Dow chemical tank drawn by working out dimensions and colours from pictures.  Picture below show the transfers (printed on clear paper as the tank body is white) on the test tank, not in the correct position but just to see what they looked like and what detail I could get with my desktop printer.

IMG_0204_zpsea75f8b8.jpg

IMG_0206_zpsfecfd12d.jpg

The second wagon tested was the nearly finished CO2 tank, with transfers made up in same manner as before.  both the tank wagons had the stripe painted on but in future I might try printing the stripe.

IMG_02812_zps53cfa114.jpg

The final wagon to test the new method of transfers on was the PBA Tiger.  For this wagon I had previously purchased part of the transfers from precision labels after they had scaled up their 4mm versions.  This had the ECC logo and tiger branding with a couple of other decals but I had to draw some of the extra lettering and also required the blue stripe.  I drew the stripe in 3 parts and added this to the model - this was easier than masking the stripe (which is currently on the other side of the model but didn't turn out very well).  One slight issue with the stripe is the patchy colour of the blue (probably to do with the way I coated the decal paper and maybe the micro sol/set) but when looking at the weathered prototypes it looks ok as most seem to have weathered quite badly in real life.  The tiger only needs a couple more transfers on this side and the other side completing before it'll be ready for some weathering.

IMG_02752_zps04564fb4.jpg

Time for another little update on wagon progress.

This time it's 2D printing.  A the wagons have progressed I've been looking for ways to finish them off and only found limited transfers available for the wagons which made me think about drawing my own.

I did this in Microsoft paint - basic but simple program, scaled and printed using Microsoft word onto decal paper bought off Ebay.  First test was some decals for the Dow chemical tank drawn by working out dimensions and colours from pictures.  Picture below show the transfers (printed on clear paper as the tank body is white) on the test tank, not in the correct position but just to see what they looked like and what detail I could get with my desktop printer.

IMG_0204_zpsea75f8b8.jpg

IMG_0206_zpsfecfd12d.jpg

The second wagon tested was the nearly finished CO2 tank, with transfers made up in same manner as before.  both the tank wagons had the stripe painted on but in future I might try printing the stripe.

IMG_02812_zps53cfa114.jpg

The final wagon to test the new method of transfers on was the PBA Tiger.  For this wagon I had previously purchased part of the transfers from precision labels after they had scaled up their 4mm versions.  This had the ECC logo and tiger branding with a couple of other decals but I had to draw some of the extra lettering and also required the blue stripe.  I drew the stripe in 3 parts and added this to the model - this was easier than masking the stripe (which is currently on the other side of the model but didn't turn out very well).  One slight issue with the stripe is the patchy colour of the blue (probably to do with the way I coated the decal paper and maybe the micro sol/set) but when looking at the weathered prototypes it looks ok as most seem to have weathered quite badly in real life.  The tiger only needs a couple more transfers on this side and the other side completing before it'll be ready for some weathering.

IMG_02752_zps04564fb4.jpg

Hi Simon

Are the PBA and the CO2 tank available to buy yet if so how when and how cheers Garry

Another step forward on the class 25's this week as I have fitted all the bits in readiness for the paint shop. Simon provided me with 3D printed headboard brackets and lamp irons. The Lamp irons handily came with a mounting pin on the back of them so I drilled a 0.45mm hole to mount them in as they would be vulnerable to handling damage.

post-7400-0-19075400-1421533479_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-55544600-1421533494_thumb.jpg

The centre bracket were not included so I used the ones from the donor cabs. The handrails were made up from 0.45 mm wire. The handrails have 4 securing points, so I used 2 short lengths of wire to represent the middle ones.

• Like 1

I pressed post by accident before finishing the last post. Although not related to Simon's cabs I have fitted Shawplan EE fan grilles. Bachmann made the radiator fan grille too smaller diameter, the shots below show the work required to fit the new ones:

post-7400-0-73857500-1421533749_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-52457100-1421533761_thumb.jpg

This photo shows a before and after comparison 

post-7400-0-26431600-1421533771_thumb.jpg

I have applied first coat of primer, I will post some close ups tomorrow but there is some further work needed on the join, especially on the version of the cab where the mould was fed from the back.

post-7400-0-52136900-1421533909_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Umm yes re cabs, hands up here too.

Rob, how are you going to do the marker lights? I've just bought some evergreen 3/32" tube as recommended by James Wells to build the light will try it out first on my Shawplan resin 37 ends.

Neil

Rob, how are you going to do the marker lights? I've just bought some evergreen 3/32" tube as recommended by James Wells to build the light will try it out first on my Shawplan resin 37 ends.

Neil

Hi Neil,

The lights as moulded are pretty accurate, some of the detail perhaps doesn't show up in the photos. I had been tempted to use the lenses from the Bachmann scrap cabs but managed to lose one (spare is on its way) so will wait until the spraying is finished and reassess.

Good to see the 25's coming along Rob, sorry I thought I'd put some centre lamp irons in with the cabs.

Got another delivery from Shapeways on Friday.  This was placed at Christmas when Shapeways had 20 off WSF, sadly A couple one wagon chassis was damaged and part of the 7mm BBA went missing but as usual shapeways customer service is sorting it.

One of the items was a class 37 bogie and a separate inner chassis.  Picture below shows it under the 37 fitted with an odd collection of wheels I had to hand.  It looks OK and will need separate cab steps adding, there is also a clearance issue between the wheels and the end frame but then version one normally requires some work.  Also printed was a bogie mount that fits to the bottom of the door frame and also helps to position the cab interior.

370onbogie_zps273d2c93.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Neil

Please, please remember that class 24 / 25 can only have one marker light on at any time, due to the lighting control in the cabs it is impossible to have two marker lights on like the Bachmann one. So many experts get this wrong ( sorry but it's a pet hate, back to rivet counting now lol )

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay but here is the latest update on the class 25 cab roadtest. The delays have been due to needing to get my layout finished for its first show in the next few weeks and the glazing has proved difficult to make. I experimented with acetate sheet but struggled to get anything remotely passable and with 56 pane's to do, another solution is required. What that solution is I haven't decided yet so in the interim the Bachmann glazing has been modified to fit. Not perfect but not as difficult as you would think.

post-7400-0-04068500-1427835343_thumb.jpg

I need to touch up the paintwork seams and I am still to sort how the buffer beams will secure to the cab but it feels like the end maybe in sight, and there is an outside chance 25191 maybe ready for Cheltenham. 

• Like 3

I have finally got one of the class 25's to a presentable state in readiness for this weekends Cheltenham show. I am really pleased with how these have turned out, Simon has captured the shape well and the picture below shows the modified loco opposite an unmodified class 25/1, note the difference in the rake of the cab windows:

post-7400-0-86928700-1428614030_thumb.jpg

One area that could be improved on the new cabs is the seam line at the bottom of the cab, which is a little overstated this is only noticeable after spraying. Hopefully this is an easy fix to delete from the CAD file, or if not I would consider filling the line and rescribing:

post-7400-0-84509000-1428614155_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of other photos:

post-7400-0-46706400-1428614184_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-56461600-1428614199_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Arrghh! I'm so sorry to say this because I so wanted to be over the moon with the 3d cabs but there's something not right going on there.  The height from the bottom of the windows to the bottom of the cab looks too high to me, and the cab  roof profile doesn't look right to my eyes either I'm afraid, if anything I think the curve is too pronounced now.  I think the cabs are definitely too deep, looking at where the seem is the proportion of the cab looks better.  You did a good job grafting them on and it's a bit better than the Bachmann, but there's still some work to do on those prints I think.  Compared to the Bachmann you can see the buffers are now too low, which indicates the cab is too long, and could the indicator box be a little too shallow too?

• 3 weeks later...

Arrghh! I'm so sorry to say this because I so wanted to be over the moon with the 3d cabs but there's something not right going on there.  The height from the bottom of the windows to the bottom of the cab looks too high to me, and the cab  roof profile doesn't look right to my eyes either I'm afraid, if anything I think the curve is too pronounced now.  I think the cabs are definitely too deep, looking at where the seem is the proportion of the cab looks better.  You did a good job grafting them on and it's a bit better than the Bachmann, but there's still some work to do on those prints I think.  Compared to the Bachmann you can see the buffers are now too low, which indicates the cab is too long, and could the indicator box be a little too shallow too?

Always useful to get constructive feedback.  I had some spare time tonight and I've modified the 25.3 cab a bit - deepened the front windows slightly and raised the base a little, also reworked the headcode box a bit.  Picture of the cab below.  What do you think?

25.3%20cab%20mod_zps5dn0xk5e.jpg

Regards

Simon.

Always useful to get constructive feedback.  I had some spare time tonight and I've modified the 25.3 cab a bit - deepened the front windows slightly and raised the base a little, also reworked the headcode box a bit.  Picture of the cab below.  What do you think?

25.3%20cab%20mod_zps5dn0xk5e.jpg

Regards

Simon.

It looks good Simon, I would be tempted to remove the seam line below the lights as it is in reality not as prominent as it came out on the model.

I think that looks a good deal better, the proportion of cab window to the cab front bodywork under the cab looks right.  I agree with Rob about the prominence of the seam line though - if it wasn't rusty it was very subtle.  Only when it was rusty did it become very noticeable.  Otherwise I think thats good work you've done tweaking the look. 

• 1 month later...