3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

On 30/08/2022 at 10:22, Wolf27 said:

I’m sure you have been asked this countless times and I may have even asked the question, but are any of your wagons available in 4mm?

Hi, some of the wagons are available in 4mm.  Chassis for the Cambells and Procor curtain side wagons are available on my Shapeways shop along with the chassis for the TTB CO2 tank and ferry tank.  The Polybulks I can print on my own printers as well as the Blackadder.  I'm looking at making some of the other wagons available in 4mm when time allows.

A wagon finished recently is a 7mm BOC TEA tank (same as the Oliva trains 4mm version).  Shapeways printed Chassis and GPS bogies in versatile plastic with PLA printed tank ends, plastic pipe for the tank and resin details and buffers.  Homemade transfers.

52295406734_486ec30864_k.jpg7mm BOC TEA tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

52295406824_2d9eb5e454_k.jpg7mm BOC TEA tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 7 months later...

An update with some more wagons completed.  Some wagons I actually finished work on last year were the Hydrocyanic acid tanks and their barrier wagons.  

The Hydrocyanic Acid tank has Shapeways Versatile plastic chassis with PLA tank ends and 63mm plastic pipe for the barrel.  Shapeways PA12 printed walkway with resin printed hatches.  Homemade transfer.   Unusually the tank has a flat top section where the loading hatch is which required cutting into the pipe before assembly.

52308731116_f1c277a332_k.jpg7mm Hydrocyanic Acid tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

52309239184_33623b030f_k.jpg7mm Hydrocyanic Acid tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

The PXA Barrier wagon.  High end version used with Hydrocyanic Acid tank wagon.  Shapeways Versatile plastic chassis with PLA ends and ballast weight and plasticard deck.  Homemade transfers.  Versatile plastic air pipe.  Low end version is the same chassis with alternate ends.

52308003852_948c00c463_k.jpg7mm PXA Barrier wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

52308730786_5f8d765307_k.jpg7mm PXA Barrier wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

52309238819_ffeab3872d_k.jpg7mm PXA Barrier wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

52309194758_76403da465_k.jpg7mm PXA Barrier wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

Been a few months since the last post, below are a some tank wagons.  Following the usual method of choosing wagons with a tank diameter around 63mm in O gauge.

First up is a 7mm Air Tip Calcium Carbonate tank wagon. Resin printed chassis, tank ends and details with plastic pipe for tank barrel. homemade transfers and Dapol couplings.  The real wagon used the hydraulic ram to raise the barrel to aid powder discharge.

52330232425_8705bdd6e8_k.jpg7mm Tip Air wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

52330047748_acd60377af_k.jpg7mm Tip Air wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

Next wagon is a 7mm TTA LPG tank. Shapeways versatile plastic chassis with PLA printed tank ends and plastic pipe for tank barrel. Resin printed hatch cover and homemade transfer. Dapol couplings and Accurascale Oleo buffers.  Similar to the Vacuum braked Algeco version build previously.  The Accurascale Oleo buffers are good value with the only drawback being they currently only do the smaller 13" heads.

52330232280_37903638e6_k.jpg7mm TTA LPG tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

52330232305_2a688296a8_k.jpg7mm TTA LPG tank by simon br blue, on Flickr

Another wagon I've been working on recently is a 7mm PAB coke hopper. Body printed in PLA on Ender 3v2, Shapeways printed chassis, walkway and ladders with PLA door and hatch details. Peartree wheels, Accurascale buffers and Dapol coupling.  I started drawing this after seeing the 4mm version and detail pictures on Cazrail's thread.

52833217094_14b91dc60f_k.jpg7mm PAB coke hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

52833442540_61f579bb3e_k.jpg7mm PAB coke hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've been scanning through this thread and WOW! 

I've never really been in a position to do 3D printing until a few months ago when I got a small resin printer and it's blown me away, so I've just ordered myself an FDM printer too. I'm a bit wary about how the layer lines will turn out for the filament but I'm hoping since it's a relatively modern printer and I'm in no great hurry, that I can print finely and avoid the majority without having to go hardcore with spray putty and sanding. 

For example, the sides on that PAB hopper look silky smooth - what was the process to achieve that please?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 08:13, Lacathedrale said:

I've been scanning through this thread and WOW! 

I've never really been in a position to do 3D printing until a few months ago when I got a small resin printer and it's blown me away, so I've just ordered myself an FDM printer too. I'm a bit wary about how the layer lines will turn out for the filament but I'm hoping since it's a relatively modern printer and I'm in no great hurry, that I can print finely and avoid the majority without having to go hardcore with spray putty and sanding. 

For example, the sides on that PAB hopper look silky smooth - what was the process to achieve that please?

Most prints will need some sort of processing before final painting.  For PLA I normally remove any support and then use a disposable nail file (the type with a different level of roughness each side) to remove any uneven areas,  I will then spay a coat of of primer (sometimes the yellow filler primer) and again sand any rough areas with the nail file.

To get a higher quality of print I tend to print at a slower speed and high quality settings in the slicer software.  Print orientation is also important, the PAB coke hopper body was printed upside down with the top of the hopper flush with the print bed, the top hatches were added after initial processing.  Some of the wagons such as the IVA Cargowaggon and Polybulk wagons were printed in 2 parts with the middle of the wagon flat on the printer bed, the join normally requires sanding and filling if on a flat surface.

A couple of wagons below were printed in different ways.  The castle cement tank was printed in 2 parts with the middle flat on the bed.  The suspension and detail parts were added after sanding and filling.  Layer lines are more visible on curved surfaces and the end of the tank required filling and sanding.  The Cerestar tank wagon was made using a printed chassis and tank ends with 63mm plastic pipe used for the tank barrel, where there is as suitable size and shape pipe is available this will give a smoother finish than printing a barrel.

7mm Castle Cement PCA, 2 part body and chassis printed in PLA, resin walkways, ladders, suspension and details. Accurascale Oleo buffers and homemade transfers.

52796256539_55deb5472d_k.jpg7mm Castle Cement PCA by simon br blue, on Flickr

52796017666_71d9fa1293_k.jpg7mm Castle Cement PCA by simon br blue, on Flickr

7mm Cerestar PCA. Tank ends, chassis and discharge pipework printed in PLA, resin walkways, suspension and details. 63mm plastic pipe for barrel. Elastic used for discharge hoses, Accurascale Oleo buffers and homemade transfers.

52796463948_3acac29c3b_k.jpg7mm Cerestar PCA by simon br blue, on Flickr

52796256559_1e352e013f_k.jpg7mm Cerestar PCA by simon br blue, on Flickr

7mm FV432 test print painted with details added. Printed in 3 parts - body and separate wheels/tracks, details such as lights, mudguards and light guards printed separately. Some layer lines on the front due to printing orientation of the print, with complex angles it isn't always possible to get a smooth finish on every side.  The Warflat body was printed in 2 parts joined in the middle with separate ends/bufferbeam.

52789100260_a16102a73d_k.jpg7mm FV432 by simon br blue, on Flickr

52788707366_13a4d039f9_k.jpg7mm FV432 by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 3

Really very lovely. I've read through the thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. Am I correct in my understanding you're not selling/sharing 3D files, instead going via Shapeways? Your PGA looks fantastic, and the Class 24 bogie would be super handy for a future model-up of a Class 33 - but obviously, it's your hobby!