3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

I've recently had a delivery from Shapeways including a 4mm class 04 tram printed in HDA.  This model show the good and bad points of HDA, the detail is as good if not better than FUD with out the problems of the support material. The side valances look much better than the separate FUD versions pictured on the Bachmann model (which also came in this order).  The cow catchers printed well and some parts are very smooth.  

04%204mm%20HDA_zpsvwpnmp59.jpg

04%20skirt%20and%20cab_zpsde4lsx6r.jpg

The bad points of the model are the layers visible on the back of the cab and nose front which may be hard to remove without damaging the rivet detail.  The model also has some marks where it looks like the support material had been removed with a knife (including some marks on the bonnet top).  I will be interesting to see what the model looks like when it gets a coat of primer on it.

04%204mm%20HDA%20cab_zpsaq7l3fuu.jpg

04%204mm%20HDA%202_zpsdpoykls7.jpg

Another couple of prints arrived- 

A 4mm version of the FUD grain elevator- the lower version designed to sit on a platform.  (Brush type 4 - I can make either version available in 7mm - which type would you want?)

Elevator%204mm_zpsiatmd7pk.jpg

A 4mm version of the new style conveyor also arrived - printed in WSF - one issue with this version is that it wants to tip over so will need weight adding to the back/bottom.

4mm%20conveyor%20new_zpsqu0d43gs.jpg

I also got a 7mm old style elevator printed in 7mm to see what it looks like and what detail was visible.

7mm%20conveyor%20old_zpsv0xdhmsl.jpg

Simon.

• Like 4

I'm surprised that your 04 didn't get reject as those cowcatchers look like disallowed sprues. :winkclear: 

Are there any signs that there were supports added inside the cab?  I'm wondering if they can print a boiler as part of a tank engine.

Edited by Penrhos1920

I've attached a photo of the underside of the 04 below.  As can be seen there are some support pips on the underside of the running plate, bonnet and cab roof.  Also shown in this view are a couple of supports left on the cowcatchers by the cab.  HDA feels stronger and stiffer than FUD, the cowcatchers are more robust than the FUD ones on the J70.

04%20underside_zpsruqaz0q3.jpg

On the subject of HDA also got a picture of a 4mm 25/3 printed in HDA.  It didn't look much better than the FUD print except without the support material scars.

class%2025.3%204mm%20HDA_zpsceklc1oz.jpg

On the subject of Toby and Mavis it would be quite easy to modify them as the 04 was drawn without a radiator grill so mesh could be added.  No plans to make a model of either but hopefully I'll end up with a layout of the Wisbech and Upwell tramway.

• Like 1

Thanks. Do you have a Shapeways shop?

A Toby and Mavis I would like to build at some point in the future, your 04 and J70 are undoubtedly the best I have seen to date for what I have in mind so maybe one day if they are available I'll nab a print or two. Liking what I see. That particular variation of the 04 looks more suitable to me mainly due to the windows. For my own preferance I also run engines without the faces. On my own current range of loco's I make the smokeboxes seperate on sprue for people to make their choice. As to my own modelling though It is usually a mix of pre-Grouping and Railway Series as they are my main modelling interests at the moment.

The only issue I can see would be adding the FQC text on the side plates due to the relief. I'd find a way though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109759-shapeways-high-detail-acrylate-hda/page-3

Steam loco boiler in the above HDA link.

I did some BHDA prints, you can see thrm in the original HDA thread I made but you may see I didn't get such good results!

Edited by Knuckles
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I've not sorted out a shop on Shapeways properly yet only a couple of items on it but when I finish decorating the house i'll get it sorted out.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/brbluemodels?li=pb

Again I've not done much physical modelling recently but have done some drawing and had a Shapeways delivery.

Having trouble uploading from photobucket today but a picture below is of JCB 520 printed in 4mm in WSF.  The model has all the pistons and arm fixed in place but in FUD or WSF in 7mm it would be possible to position the boom.

JCB%20520%204mm_zpsj1qt3uz6.jpg

Another test was a couple of 4mm fruit boxes in WSF and Prime Grey.

fruit%20box%204mm_zpstmr3sbtj.jpg

I'll upload more when I can get photobucket to work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

Good to see shop coming along - hopefully you will get trade. I did wonder how you got on with the 37/4 cabs in 1/32 - After a pair of cabs with centre headcode to allow a 37/4 large loco - mated to a brass body shell I want to modify...

As ever amazed and impressed with work you have devleoped - I really would not know where to start

Thanks  

Robert 

• 2 weeks later...

The other model I got printed with the last order was a S scale (1:64) class 20.  The body was printed in Prime Grey, the nose and grill was printed in HDA and the Bogie in WSF.

20%20cab_zpsb94jxc3c.jpg

The bodyshell looks good with a little bit of stepping on the roof, the sides, grills and solebar have turned out well.

20%20nose_zpsq0xn3bkv.jpg

The HDA nose looks good with a nice finishand good definition on the light surrounds and horn grill.

20%20nose%20close_zpscutbyb8z.jpg

20%20nose%20close%202_zpsiijknp1n.jpg

The grill has also turned out well and is nice and smooth.  Some of the pips on the grill are rivets/ bolts and some are from the support material.

20%20rad%20grill_zpsud3yhpwf.jpg

The bogie was printed in WSF using the print it anyway option on Shapeways.  Looking at the print some of the details and pipework haven't come out well but they were under the minimum thickness for WSF.  It is also has a bit of a 'woolly' finish, I'm not sure if it was the orientation of the print or is Shapeways produce it in lower quality for print it anyway.

20%20bogie_zps4myegu1z.jpg

The separate inner frame is fitted in the pic above and was designed to fit some S scale wheels I purchased.  I was thinking of using a Heljan '00' class 33 chassis as it scales down to the correct chassis and bogie wheelbase although the only problem might be the width of the chassis block in the 20 body.

• Like 5

Sorry to sound so negative, but whilst your work is admirable and very clever, Simon, the quality of 3D prints doesn't seem to have improved in terms of visible layering/frosting much over the years they've been available. (looking like they are either made of carbon fibre or snow depending on the medium) I was hoping that 3D printing would have improved significantly on this over time.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

You are entitled to your opinion GoIKB but I am not sure as to the point of your post. Ultimately those printing out their designs get enjoyment from their efforts and although they may not be 'perfect', technologies are moving on although that may not be in the budget at the moment for the hobbyist.

Edited by backofanenvelope
typos

Yes, like I said I don't mean to come over negative, I'm just surprised and disappointed that the quality of prints from the printers doesn't seem to have improved much over the years... yet.

Sorry to go off at a tangent.  I have a great deal of admiration for simon's skill at this - which is all totally beyond me -  it just seems a pity that the technology hasn't improved that much as yet.

Yes, like I said I don't mean to come over negative, I'm just surprised and disappointed that the quality of prints from the printers doesn't seem to have improved much over the years... yet.

Sorry to go off at a tangent.  I have a great deal of admiration for simon's skill at this - which is all totally beyond me -  it just seems a pity that the technology hasn't improved that much as yet.

As some one who at the moment would love a 3D Printer there are different types out there that for some more than most people are prepared to pay can come up with better prints. Others far more in the know will be better able to discuss but I look at the tech I have owned over last ten years and am amazed at the progress maybe its just round the corner.. :) 

Once you have a good CAD you can print them on a better printer at any point so doing the design work is worth it even if you are not currently happy with the print qualities as later the 3D models can turn out better by you doing nothing more than printing on new system.

Think I rambled there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some bogies beautifully design by Simon turned up today.

attachicon.gif15356629_10154042104072256_1636344632432181350_n.jpg

The s7 wheels fit, but the spindle is a bit long causing them to bind. I need to sort that out.

Not sure of the finish though. Looks a bit rougher than I expected it to be.

I'm guessing that is Black strong flexible (WSF dyed black) it does look a bit fluffy in the pic, probably give it a coat of primer/primer filler then black to improve it.  Some of the previous 7mm bogies turned out better in WSF which was primed and painted or best with WSF polished.  The settings in the shop were done before all the material options that are now available.

Regarding the quality of the S scale class 20 bogie.  It was done using 'print it anyway' option which sometimes seems to reduce the print quality (maybe its printed differently by shapeways?)  also most of the details and walls were below the minimum thickness allowed by shapeways and was done as a test to see if it would print.  I have since printed the same bogie in HDA which has come out much better.  The only issue with HDA on hte bogie is the pips from the support structure - although most of the pips are on the smooth top surfaces.  Pic below not great quality but shows the difference.

20%20HDA%20bogie_zpsxanffz6n.jpg

Another HDA test below of some 1/32 scale class 25 grills.

25%20grill%20test_zpstfukmzi7.jpg

Another model purchased on Black Friday was a 7mm JCB telehandler.  The model has a posable boom with working rams (these needed drilling out to remove loose material) and rubber tyres.

JCB%20down_zpsytdqpeyq.jpg

JCB%20up_zpswx59u8bf.jpg

rubber%20tyre_zpsxzuqyhr3.jpg

The rubber tyres were done as a test for another model i'm toying with.  I've drawn a 7mm shunting tractor which I hope i can make operate using a small RC car.  After looking at the results it might be best to make the whole wheel of rubber.  The tractor is based on one of the eastern region tractors used at various grain sidings and wagon works.

4mm%20shunting%20tractor_zpsm7cbewrq.jpg

4mm%20shunting%20tractor%203_zpspodgqlxe

I've also done some more Wisbech and Upwell tramway drawing, below is a Y6 and a couple of coaches.

Y6%20tram%207mm_zpsdi16bagn.jpg

WampU%204%20wheel%20coach_zpsshifcrvv.jp

WampU%20bogie%20coach_zpseudel7xj.jpg

WampU%20bogie%201_zpsq2bkjiex.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm guessing that is Black strong flexible (WSF dyed black) it does look a bit fluffy in the pic, probably give it a coat of primer/primer filler then black to improve it.  Some of the previous 7mm bogies turned out better in WSF which was primed and painted or best with WSF polished.  The settings in the shop were done before all the material options that are now available.

Regarding the quality of the S scale class 20 bogie.  It was done using 'print it anyway' option which sometimes seems to reduce the print quality (maybe its printed differently by shapeways?)  also most of the details and walls were below the minimum thickness allowed by shapeways and was done as a test to see if it would print.  I have since printed the same bogie in HDA which has come out much better.  The only issue with HDA on hte bogie is the pips from the support structure - although most of the pips are on the smooth top surfaces.  Pic below not great quality but shows the difference.

20%20HDA%20bogie_zpsxanffz6n.jpg

Another HDA test below of some 1/32 scale class 25 grills.

Another model purchased on Black Friday was a 7mm JCB telehandler.  The model has a posable boom with working rams (these needed drilling out to remove loose material) and rubber tyres.

JCB%20down_zpsytdqpeyq.jpg

JCB%20up_zpswx59u8bf.jpg

rubber%20tyre_zpsxzuqyhr3.jpg

The rubber tyres were done as a test for another model i'm toying with.  I've drawn a 7mm shunting tractor which I hope i can make operate using a small RC car.  After looking at the results it might be best to make the whole wheel of rubber.  The tractor is based on one of the eastern region tractors used at various grain sidings and wagon works.

4mm%20shunting%20tractor_zpsm7cbewrq.jpg

4mm%20shunting%20tractor%203_zpspodgqlxe

I've also done some more Wisbech and Upwell tramway drawing, below is a Y6 and a couple of coaches.

Y6%20tram%207mm_zpsdi16bagn.jpg

WampU%204%20wheel%20coach_zpsshifcrvv.jp

WampU%20bogie%20coach_zpseudel7xj.jpg

WampU%20bogie%201_zpsq2bkjiex.jpg

Hi Simon,

the O gauge wagons PBA , CO2 where can I buy them from ?

Hi Simon,

the O gauge wagons PBA , CO2 where can I buy them from ?

Finally had time to make some 7mm wagons available on Shapeways.

Link to shop below.  

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/brbluemodels

I've made some of the wagons available because of the current sale Shapeways have until new year on WSF.  I will aim to make other wagons and models including the Wisbech and Upwell items as time allows.  All wagons have been ordered by myself previously so should print fine.

Any questions ask on here or PM me on RMweb or Shapeways.

I've also drawn another W&U item - GER luggage van no.9.

WUT-No9%207mm_zpsliamzjfv.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.  I've not had chance to get the previous prints painted but hopefully the weather will improve and warm up a bit soon.

On the drawing front I've nearly finished another Wisbech andUupwell item of rolling stock GER brake no.16, render below shows current progress but its been harder to find photos and detail compared to the locos or modern wagons I've done previously.

GER%20brake%2016%205.1_zpscoy0ttlg.jpg

Had a delivery from shapeways earlier in the week, mostly W&U items but a couple of WSF items ordered when they had 20% off.

A couple of 7mm items a WSF Y6 tram printed with the boiler separate but with the window frames and buffers attached.

7mm%20Y6_zpstmgsxnhq.jpg

Another 7mm item was GER luggage van no.9, this was printed in one part in SWF polished.  I chose this for a try with WSF polished as it had some detail but the details were strong enough to survive 'polishing'.  The finish is smooth with no loss of detail and will give a good comparison with the finish on the Y6.

ger%20no%209%20smooth_zpsl4cnnfqu.jpg

no%209%20smooth_zps3uq9fqet.jpg

Next up is the W&U bogie coach, this is 4mm and printed in HDA.  As a test I got 2 bogies printed - one FUD and the other HDA - the HDA bogie shows the problems from the join where support material joins the model (lucklily the top surface can be smoothed and wont affect the overall look of the coach).  The sides look good but there will be bit of work removing the support pips from the ends.  i didn't model the interior to keep the cost down but this should be simple to add if made from plasticard.  One thing I didn't do with the model was to check the Shapeways upload and as shown in the photo part of the brake wheels are missing, annoying but something I should have checked before ordering.

W%20amp%20U%20coach%201_zpsyptu28zs.jpg

W%20amp%20U%20coach%202_zps91b6vf0o.jpg

W%20amp%20U%20coach%203_zpsjnyugpxx.jpg

bogie%20FUD%20HDA_zps0zzhn9su.jpg

Last up for this update is the 7mm shunting tractor body I drew before Christmas.  I decided to get this printed in yellow strong and flexible.  It looks smooth and the colour is even.  To go with the body I got a a set of wheels printed in Elasto plastic, unlike the JCB I went for a complete wheel and tyre from the same material.  The second picture shows the difference a good clean makes with the elasto plastic.

shunting%20tractor_zpsm4fjo0tl.jpg

7mm%20tractor%20tyres_zpssfccngjb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another Shapeways delivery today.

I ordered a 1/32 class 25 shell at Christmas when they had 20% off.  The original model had some defects so I got a reprint.  The reprint arrived today, first thing I noticed was that the new model has been printed at an angle.  As can been seen in the first pic the layers run across the model (the lines aren't that visible and had to play with the light to get them to show up).

25%20side%20layers_zps7u8domrr.jpg

The next picture shows the roof detail on the 2 shells, the top original model shows the normal layering that can been seen if the model is printed flat in the Z axis.  The lower model printed at an angle doesn't have any of the layers on the roof, the angle looks about the same as the HDA prints I've had recently.  I'd even be tempted to try to fix the print orientation as a test on a future WSF model. 

25%20roof%20layers_zpsvw9odorp.jpg

The picture below shows the cabs together with the curved layers visible on the right print.  

25%20pair%201.32_zpsbvuidqz1.jpg

The final picture shows the grills that were printed earlier as a test for the body.  I have a set for 25 printed in HDA.  If I can get the faults sorted (contaminated material in the print, a gap between the side and the roof and a bend in the bodyside) I might order a set of grills and mod the 25 into a later air-braked loco.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Looks good - who are you using for the SLA as I'd be interested in getting comparative prices for a few parts to compare with the Shapeways prices.

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair have a look at my post, 3D printed CR parts, and if you are looking to have stuff printed let me know.

Tram coach looks great. What I find frustrating is how they say 'no sprues' and yet that structure in a way is composed of sprues due to all the lattice work. I'm hoping they have improved upon things because my two test prints I did in their test stage proved to me they either couldn't print a basic loco body with only a few sprues or they could print a chassis with lots of sprues but it had lots of mess all over it and was bent as a banana.

Now it seems people are getting good prints and I feel cheated and left out, yet I am still unsure if I should risk trying again as a fail usually means the upload is messed up requiring a re-upload resetting print success rate. Any ideas? Have they improved or moved goal posts or what?

Your models all look really well done I must say.

WSF diesels looks good too, having big surfaces makes it easier to smooth off no doubt.

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the 25 and the grills do look the part. Any thoughts on the underframe and tanks. I have had several N gauge prints where the axis has been skewed and it makes prints look like they are of wood -with a pleasing grain effect ! - much easier to clean up  it has proved.

happy modelling !

Robert  

Yes Robert, I've drawn a basic 25 under frame and bogie side frame for the Steve Beattie body I had. I'll try resizing them.

Knuckles, regarding the HDA spurs- I can't see the difference between the tram coach balcony and spurs, if I'd drawn a pair or buffers spurred between the railing and the top of the coach would there have been a problem or would the model get rejected?

Simon.