West Midlands Metro Tracklaying in Brum

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Now the Metro Extension is fully open with just a bit of street work tidying up to do I thought I would post a few shots of trams in operation.

Celebrity tram 37 "Ozzy Osbourne" (at left) and No. 20 pass in Corporation Street:

post-6208-0-62941900-1465684977_thumb.jpg

"Ozzy had named 'his' tram at this stop one week earlier.

Close up of the rather insignificant name transfer on No.37:

post-6208-0-91542200-1465684939_thumb.jpg

Two trams No.s 31 & 26 side by side in Stephenson Street:

post-6208-0-75012900-1465684852_thumb.jpg

Tram No. 23 entering Snow Hill stop heading towards Wolverhampton:

post-6208-0-80987200-1465685936_thumb.jpg

Tram No. 22 at Snow Hill heading towards Grand Central:

The site to the left of the stop is now, at last, being devloped after the failure of the previous hotel/apartment project.

A "Snow Hill 3" to match the other two blocks is to be built there.

post-6208-0-00861400-1465686007_thumb.jpg

Panorama of Snow Hill stop without trams:

post-6208-0-58356400-1465686068_thumb.jpg

The old route passed behind the glass screen on the right before disappearing under the car park!

Note the wiring poles have pointy top finials now compared to the red plastic wedge of the existing route in the background.

The previous day flooding had disrupted the Metro as seen by this notice at Snow Hill:

post-6208-0-75606300-1465686391_thumb.jpg

There is movement of the strip that delineates the rail from the grass in the green section:

post-6208-0-93448400-1465686468_thumb.jpg

Finally

What passes as a rumble strip for tram drivers:

post-6208-0-06592900-1465686778_thumb.jpg

It's a bit of chequer plate that has been recently welded to the end of the track by the LOS sign.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That edging strip next to the expansion switch seems to be badly thought out. As the switch is there to allow expansion it goes without saying that there will be movement at that point, so the strip should have been put in in such a way to allow it to move too....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Additionally to my pictures I spotted that tram 17, the first of the Urbos trams delivered to Midland Metro, was out on the route on test last Thursday.

Up until now it hasn't been used on the route apart from very limited testing a couple of years ago.

Maybe it's about to be accepted for passenger service at long last?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned earlier Tram 17 has at last started test on the route, here are a couple of pictures taken today.

Waiting at Corporation Street/Bull Street traffic lights:

post-6208-0-86125000-1466104464_thumb.jpg

And again approaching Bull Street tram stop:

post-6208-0-12989100-1466104779_thumb.jpg

The destination reads " Test Tram - Not in Service" and there are notices stuck in the windows telling that it is not for public use.

I wonder how long it needs to be tested before it is passed for service?

Whilst it was waiting at the lights to change the previous service tram was still at Bull Street stop and at one point they were both in Corporation Street together!

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sorry what is special about tram17 as its on test at the moment

It was the first of the new fleet, delivered in September 2013 but has never been put into service.

AFAIK the reason why has never been given officially but there are rumours of it being a "Christmas Tree"

The rest of the fleet, generally, entered service shortly after they were delivered whilst 17 stayed in the depot with very limited testing done.

Now it is out and about accumulating mileage  I thought it worth a couple of pictures.

Keith

It was the first of the new fleet, delivered in September 2013 but has never been put into service.

AFAIK the reason why has never been given officially but there are rumours of it being a "Christmas Tree"

The rest of the fleet, generally, entered service shortly after they were delivered whilst 17 stayed in the depot with very limited testing done.

Now it is out and about accumulating mileage  I thought it worth a couple of pictures.

Keith

I did hear It would be the first fitted with the Batteries etc. but may have to go back to be fitted, the rest it is said will be done at Wednesbury but if it has escaped on test plans maybe be changing.

From BBC News Website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36590999

Wolverhampton tram extension gets green light

Plans for an £18m extension of the tram service in Wolverhampton has been given the go-ahead by the government. The Midland Metro is set to go along Pipers Row, to the city's bus station and on to the railway station which is being redeveloped. The secretary of state for transport's approval meant preparatory work could start later this year, said West Midlands Combined Authority. The route is expected to be competed in 2019. The work is part of a £120m redevelopment of the city centre.

Roger Lawrence, Wolverhampton City Council leader, said the extension "can play a key role in unlocking further investment and jobs". "If we are to succeed in revitalising our city then we must have the right transport infrastructure in place to open up new areas for redevelopment and underpin our long term ambitions," he said.

Edited by dcroz

Two additional bits of news regarding to the Wolverhampton Extension, both from the gov.uk website:

1) The Midland Metro (Wolverhampton city centre extension) order: decision letter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-midland-metro-wolverhampton-city-centre-extension-order-decision-letter

Explains the Secretary of State for Transport’s decision to authorise Centro to construct, operate and maintain an extension to the Midland Metro tramway system in Wolverhampton city centre.

And here's the link to the pdf file of the letter itself:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/530686/midland-metro-wolverhampton-decision-letter.pdf

2) The Midland Metro (Wolverhampton city centre extension) order: inspector's report

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-midland-metro-wolverhampton-city-centre-extension-order-inspectors-report

The inspector’s report of the public inquiry into the Midland Metro Wolverhampton city centre extension order. The inspector recommends that approval should be given. The public inquiry sat for one day. It opened and closed on 9 June 2015.

And again, here's the link to the pdf:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/530693/midland-metro-wolverhampton-inspectors-report.pdf

Looks like Keith will be busy with his camera for a little while longer!

Edited by dcroz

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Keith will be busy with his camera for a little while longer!

Only if I have a trip to Wolves!

I'm waiting for the next bits of work in Brum to start.

That won't happen until Paradise Forum has been cleared, although the demolition is coming on well.

This all that's left of the old library, taken about a week ago:

post-6208-0-19084600-1466705301_thumb.jpg

(looking back from the Hall of Memory over the bridge link.)

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Me and no2 granddaughter thought we'd sample the new tram ride across brum last week. Got on at New street station end of line and across to Snow Hill tram station. Found it don't connect with the railway station at all, at all, very miffifying. Tracked back up past all the grass, and in at the top end. Completed the circuit by train back to Moor st. What's Snow Hill tram stop for???

Me and no2 granddaughter thought we'd sample the new tram ride across brum last week. Got on at New street station end of line and across to Snow Hill tram station. Found it don't connect with the railway station at all, at all, very miffifying. Tracked back up past all the grass, and in at the top end. Completed the circuit by train back to Moor st. What's Snow Hill tram stop for???

You're not very familiar with Centro are you? If you were you wouldn't ask such questions.

• RMweb Gold

Hi If I recall correctly the snow hill tramstop will connect using the Livery street end but works on this seem to be at a fast snail pace if a hole in the wall by the tram stop is the access point - it has been a worker viewing point for several months . Hopefully somebody can confirm? 

cheers

Robert 

• RMweb Premium

My question about the purpose of snow hill tram stop is about the here and now. A couple of years ago it made perfect sense, people got out at an integrated transport centre and started hiking into town. Since its been shifted sideways a few feet, isolated from the station behind a barrier, and people can ride a bit further into town...??? Sorry I don't know enough about centro to get the meaning of it all.

• RMweb Premium

My question about the purpose of snow hill tram stop is about the here and now. A couple of years ago it made perfect sense, people got out at an integrated transport centre and started hiking into town. Since its been shifted sideways a few feet, isolated from the station behind a barrier, and people can ride a bit further into town...??? Sorry I don't know enough about centro to get the meaning of it all.

I understand that there is to be a combined access to the tram stop and the North end of Snow Hill station which will obviate walking to the front of the station and back in again.

This is the entrance as it stands but without access to the trams:

https://goo.gl/maps/YVDNobwhWSt

There needs to be a lift down to ground level from the tram stop to connect with the walkway through from there, quite why it wasn't in the recent works is anybody's guess.

This is a view from the other side showing the tram stop under construction and the open arch, which I think is the other end of the current entrance. You can see a lift tower for the station platform above it:

https://goo.gl/maps/xVbVFhbYT472

A sideways connexion is out of the question as there will be (eventually) a Network Rail track in the way.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

OS aren't bothering to show it:

Possibly because it wasn't open when the OS was last updated?

New Street & Corporation Street aren't shown either!

Bull street opened first which is shown.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

As you leave Snow Hill station you pass the closed entrance of the old tram stop and the signs direct you to the Bull Street stop to connect with the trams. A bit like Canary Wharf Underground station being closer to Heron Quays DLR than to Canary Wharf DLR.
Personally, if I am changing between the two I use Jewellery Quarter or The Hawthorns but I agree having a tram stop called Snow Hill that is very hard to get to or from when changing at Snow Hill is a little bit of planning madness that is not confined to Birmingham.

Edited by Chris116

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the discussion about Snow Hill tramstop there is work recently started to construct an exit/entrance to street level north of Great Charles Street bridge.

post-6208-0-51617000-1469202234_thumb.jpg

According to the chap you can see in the picture there isn't any plan as far as he knows to connect with the station entrance. :scratchhead: 

Next

Proof that the extension to the ICC has officially started with the work in Pinfold Street:

post-6208-0-64172800-1469202378_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-98327000-1469202436_thumb.jpg

I was a little concerned that Centro hadn't told us that due to restricted clearances this section will be narrow gauge! :no:

post-6208-0-14346300-1469202518_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Keith

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I've had an e-mail from NX Metro to confirm that thare are no plans, at the moment, to have direct access to Snow Hill station from the tram stop and have amended on board announcements such that Bull St. is now the stop for passengers for Snow Hill Station.

Shame, another opportunity missed.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I went and had another look at the under construction north exit at Snow Hill tram stop.

post-6208-0-95753900-1471558995_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-19933300-1471559016_thumb.jpg

And a street level view from St Chad's Circus:

post-6208-0-02273200-1471559063_thumb.jpg

Not a lot of change in 4 weeks!

This was the reply I had regarding direct access to the main station at Snow Hill:

Good Afternoon Mr. Nicholls,

Thank you for your email regarding Snow Hill tram stop.  This has been passed by my colleages at Transport for West Midlands (TfWM, formally Centro) to me to answer as Customer Service Manager for Midland Metro.
Whilst in the future, there may be development of a footbridge offering direct access into the railway station at Snow Hill, this is not yet planned.  
Considering that Moor Street Station and New Street Station have both received refurbishments recently, I'd expect that TfWM will hope for the same for Snow Hill railway station and this would hopefully include the aforementioned walkway from train to tram.
Since opening and gathering customer feedback, passengers using the trams who work in the business district have expressed that the Snow Hill tram stop is useful for shortening their commute as well as good for visitors to their premises.  
However, we equally recognise that for some customers, especially those carrying heavy bags etc. Bull Street might offer a better interchange with rail as it is a more direct step-free walking route into the station.  We've recently changed our audio on tram to point to this fact. We have similarly ensured that on tram teams are briefed on these changes to help with wayfinding.
Thank very much for contacting us and your interest in our services.  We are very grateful for your custom. 

Regards

IMHO A missed oportunity especially as the Livery Street station entrance is in the third arch along and extends 2/3rds the way through!

Meanwhile the green section alongside Snow Hill station is stating to look a bit brown through lack of rain:

post-6208-0-56916100-1471559142_thumb.jpg

(The soil under the grass is very shallow so the grass doesnt have any reserve of moisture to draw upon.)

Notice however the green wall alongside is still nice and lush but is automatically watered.

Keith

• Like 5