The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

My last commute by train

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Given the number of loops put in during WW2 it could also carry a reasonable amount of freight to the Midlands and onwards, although not high cube containers. Not to mention that we wouldn't have the A34 as we now know it. No Battle of Newbury, no Swampy.... I cycled it from near Newbury to near Micheldever in 1965; it was quite quiet really. There used to be a severe zig-zag where the road passed under a railway bridge. Drifting off topic, sorry.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

That wouldn't have been much use on my last 3 trips up that way, with the queue for the M40 starting before the River Cherwell bridge, before the Thames bridge and between Christmas and New Year, just before Abingdon !!!!!

If the traffic is moving by the time you reach the B430, it might be just as quick to stay on the A34 for the last mile to J9 of the M40.

It might be useful going the other way though, to avoid the southbound queue on the M40 waiting to leave at J9 ? 

I'll have to check that out next time I'm up that way.

I have done it southbound on a couple of occasions Ron and it worked quite well  ( I subsequently found it even better to join or leave the M40 further south but that wouldn't help the OP).

• RMweb Premium

So far the drive has been OK, no traffic disasters or endless delays. The positives of driving are that the seat is more comfortable, the heating/cooling is set to what you find comfortable and you can listen to music or the radio. The disadvantages are it is less relaxing, you can't snooze, read a book or work/study the way you can on a train. On the whole I'd prefer to commute by train really as whilst I like cars and driving I did find the commuting time both a way to wake up or unwind (as applicable) and also an opportunity to do stuff which I miss when driving.

As another member of the rail-employee club, I also have the perks of rather heavily discounted travel... Which is how I do a 90-mile round trip each day between Derby and Birmingham.

To be honest, it doesn't run too badly and, after nearly three years of doing it, I have got myself into a fairly reliable routine of regular trains, staff and even seats. 

As was stated above, it's funny how it settles in as part of your regular life. A working day doesn't feel like a working day when I go directly to London and back with EMT without observing the scenic delights of Burton and Tamworth.

Archived