Good books on Irish narrow gauge - specifically Donegal lines

CVSNE

Greetings all,

Wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation on some good books on Irish narrow gauge - specifically the lines in Donegal but others as well. I have a two-volume hardcover set that is very informative and useful. I also have a number of books on the history of several of these railroads (excuse me, "railways") - looking for recommendations on not just histories but also the type of information that one might need to model one of these lines - drawings, roster photos, etc... I live in northern Virginia, so information on European railroads is fairly scarce. I'm looking into the possibilities of building a small (by US standards) portable layout as a "someday project" that would be something radically different over here and a nice break from my large HO scale New England based layout.

I stumbled across a reference to a book Modelling the Irish Narrow Gauge.

Is this as good a basic reference as the description makes it seem?

Thanks in advance,

Marty

'Modelling the Irish Narrow Gauge' is a quite slim booklet written by the late David Lloyd and published by PECO. It contains a number of 4mm scale drawings of steam and diesel locos and diesel railcars. Most of the drawings are also available in 1:43.5 scale from the 7mm Scale Narrow Gauge Association. It includes several County Donegal prototypes.

Two other books you might find of interest are 'The Last Days of The Wee Donegal' and 'The Wee Donegal Revisited' published by Colourpoint. Both contain loads of colour pictures and a few track layouts. The second one also contains some loco and rolling stock drawings.

• RMweb Premium

I highly recommend "The County Donegal Railways Companion" by Roger Crombleholme.  Subtitled "A Handbook for Railway Modellers and Historians" it does exactly what is says!

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/County-Donegal-Railway-Companion-Paperback-Roger/2693940259/bd  According to that website its published by Ian Allan, but my copy definitely says Midland Publishing on it.  Or are they part of Ian Allan?

Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Narrow-Gauge-Rolling-Stock-Pictorial/dp/0711031495  by Desmond Coakham is definitely by Ian Allan

Another Colourpoint book is the excellent "Irish Narrow Gauge in Colour" by Norman Johnston  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Narrow-Gauge-Colour/dp/1904242138

Colourpoint Books are at http://colourpoint.co.uk/

Hope this helps, all the best,

Dave.

Thanks to all for your recommendations - I have a few of these volumes and now have a shopping list for some others.

Now to figure out what Mom and Dad were talking about when they mentioned the steam locomotives they remember growing up (in and near Dublin) were blue.....

Marty

Thanks to all for your recommendations - I have a few of these volumes and now have a shopping list for some others.

Now to figure out what Mom and Dad were talking about when they mentioned the steam locomotives they remember growing up (in and near Dublin) were blue.....

Marty

These blue steam locos were from the Great Northern Railway. This covered much if the north and northwest of Ireland. The GNR was split between CIE and the UTA in 1958. The main line from Dublin to Belfast is still open, as is the Howth branch near Dublin and the freight only line linking Drogheda with Navan.

Thanks fir the info - was wondering if Dad was remembering things wrong…he's thrilled to hear he wasn't going nuts!

Are there any RTR models of any GN engines - when I search for "Great Northern" over here I get a totally different answer….

Marty

thanks again to all for the help and suggestions. I've located a few of these through used book dealers here in the States, and the LOC has Dr Patterson's book so I've requested it be pulled and will spend some time checking it out Saturday morning.

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

Archived