MattWallace

Hey all!

So here's the new thread for the layout that is most likely to be built this year!

Whilst I change my trackplans as often as Coachman changes his track, I think I really have nailed it here (with the help of others on the forum!).

The trackplan for my layout is as follows:

13979153413_5de3f5c106.jpgOilTerminalSectorPlate by ProfFalken, on Flickr

This layout has the following:

1) A traverser (manual to begin with but will almost certainly be motorised at a later date)

2) Sector plates large enough to take a single Bachmann 66 (to allow the loco to pull in to the FY and run around the service)

3) A "half-station" hiding the entrance to the traverser

4) A "tunnel" that will allow passenger (up to 4 cars) and small freight (i.e. LE/ECS) moves to switch from the UP to the DOWN

5) A Fuel Terminal

As you can see from the following picture, I have a single "rare as rocking-horse sh*t" Hornby Fuel Terminal gantry and I'll be looking for more soon!

6608060213_6b29362eb3.jpgClass 92 gantry and buffers by ProfFalken, on Flickr

The layout will use the same electronics as Marshfield/Blockwall Junctions (i.e. MERG CBUS, JMRI) although I may switch from solenoid to servos for the points.

*** DO NOT EXPECT REGULAR UPDATES ***

Those of you who have followed my previous threads will know that time is sparse for me and will probably be so for the next few years (hence the title of the layout!)

I will also be breaking this down into a number of sub-projects to prototype the more "interesting" parts of the build that I will link to here, starting with the sector plates and then moving on to the traverser.

Thanks for looking and I hope to have something worth seeing shortly!

Matt

Hi Matt. The new track plan looks good. Looking forward to following this, especially the oil terminal construction as i'm planning to have oil too.

I know what you mean by time (or more accurately, lack whereof!)....

Happy modelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, so in order to progress the layout, I need to tidy the loft.

In order to tidy the loft, I need to setup some storage for all the things that won't fit around the edges of the loft.

If I have to have some storage in the middle of the loft then it might as well be useful, therefore it should have the ability to "run-in" new trains on it as a "roundy-roundy"

Presenting.... My Loft (courtesy of SCARM):

14504492772_b927c457e6_o.jpg

The black boxes are the water tanks, the purple one is the loft hatch.

The main layout (after which this thread is named) runs around the outside (or at least it will once it is built), the table in the middle will actually be storage with a single loop of track on top and a workbench over that for me to do modelling/soldering/whatever on.

To give an idea of scale, the workbench/cupboard is 6ft long x 4ft wide x 3ft high...

I'm hoping to start on the cupboard tonight.

Matt

P.S. The layout doesn't really float in thin air, I just couldn't be bothered to put in the rafters/beams/legs for it to be attached to!

Thanks, I started the first frame for the workbench last night then ran out of timber.  I'm hoping to complete them over the next week and then start on storing stuff in the loft properly instead of just scattered all over the floor.

The plan is to make four frames that are 3x2 in size and then bolt them together to make the 6x4 cabinet.  I'll then attach the sides and lay the loop of track before fabricating the worktop.

The first frame is almost complete:

14513803952_f87f1bfc32_o.jpg

14514902415_9a53f4a54b_o.jpg

I just need to add another two corner braces to the other side and then I can use this as a template for the rest.

The good news is that it is surprisingly stable and solid considering the frame is from 21mm PSE Softwood, the base is 9mm ply and the top is 9mm MDF!

Matt

Heh, not a stupid question at all - actually, it's not big enough, no.

The main reason I've assembled this outside first is to make sure that the concept works.

It's all held together with screws so I'll charge the electronic screwdriver today and then take this one apart move it up into the loft in bits and put it back together.

It's designed to break down into the following parts:

• End Frames
  • Base (battens attached)
  • Top (Battens attached)

I know that these bits will fit through the hatch as I've had to move the 9mm ply in and out of the loft and all of the above parts are 3ftx2ft.

Eventually, I hope to add some more ply as sides, re-enforcing and providing places to store tools etc. and the final thing should all lock together as follows:

+------+-------+

|         |          |

+------+-------+

|         |          |

+------+-------+

Matt

And here we are - the first unit is in place and assembled!

Take a base:

14332137609_98bf4ca265_o.jpg

add some ends:

14517332744_c350f01590_o.jpg

and a top:

14515353361_48e0458699_o.jpg

Put them together:

14518779805_1711749a11_o.jpg

and fill it with boxes whilst burning your ear on the dangling lightbulb!

14332211018_1b880c34a8_o.jpg

Now to build three more and get the track to go on top, then I'll make the work surface!

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the loop of track today, just need to fix it in place.

My Bachmann 66 has already completed numerous loops around the track and is showing real signs of improvement in current pick up and smoothness of movement with every circuit it does!

I'll post photos/videos later on this week.

• 1 month later...

So it's been well over a week (more than a month infact, but you're all getting used to this by now!) and I've managed to get into the loft and get a couple of circuits done with my converted class 92 and 66071 actually doing some work for once!

The motor in the 92 is horrifically noisy but appears to be getting better with each circuit - I think I need to give it a bit of oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClZXI0882HI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD75ccf-CgY

I still love the sound on the 66, but I do need to look at the 92's motor :(

• 1 month later...

Who the hell am I kidding? This layout was always going to be way too much to get done.

I have a new track plan, I love it, I'm about to post it into the "layout plans" and watch people tear it apart.

It's still 16' long, but it's only 1' wide, making me think seriously about exhibiting it if I'm happy with the quality at a later date.

15203831918_283950fde7_c.jpgSkinny by ProfFalken, on Flickr

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 month later...

Archived