Mid Suffolk Railway's GE Horsebox returns to rails

cnw6847

• RMweb Gold

Lovely looking job although it's a shame about the wheels (but Mansells are no doubt on a  par with hens' teeth if you are looking for a couple of spare axles worth).  The one thing which I do wonder about is having done such a good looking job how/where are they going to keep it - it would be a great shame if it's left exposed to the weather.

A lovely job. I guess the whole chassis is from something else. But I would have thought that a small price to pay for making such a rare vehicle a runner again. Most of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway 4 wheel coaches are running on shortened CCT chassis, as the originals and anything like them are long gone. It is one of those subterfuges that are part of the preservation scene unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

The original chassis was wooden but they had only the body to work with.

I think they said they used a modified conflat chassis and installed vacuum brakes so it could be operated as part of the passenger train.

Storage is a problem there, the loco is undercover but that's the only undercover storage.

I understand they are getting some covers.

A very nice looking wagon there, but maybe another Tigger's broom? :no:.  I'm currently doing a 1939 Bristol bus; the only original bits on that will be the chassis, front and back bulkheads and the ceiling hoops!

BTW, the IWSR have recently built new wooden underframes for their LBSCR bolster wagons.

Well done to the restoration gang there.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is looking for the bits of wood to make Mansell wheels, Milton Keynes Museum has a huge stack of them, one of the Museum blokes offered them to me as firewood, and didn't know what they were. The pile is about 5 foot high and about 3 foot deep!

Lovely horsebox BTW!

Andy g

Archived