Lowering the Hornby PCA

Following on from me hijacking this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85876-Bachmann-pca-metalair-tanks/

Regarding the new Bachmann Metalair PCA and its height relative to the Hornby PCA, which nearly everyone will need to run alongside each other.

I set about giving my eyes and fingers a break from N and came up with this

The problem

PCABefore.jpg

Using Bill Bedford W-Irons (BBWF083-4), waisted bearings, a Dremel and a Credit to Jim Smith-Wrights article on DEMU on similar mods to a PGA. 

The trick to lowering is to fit the etched W-Iron on top of the chassis dropping through.

PCAInprogress.jpg

PCAuf.jpg

Keeping the same oversize wheels, not through choice but by chance after a dry fit, the result was this alignment

PCAafter.jpg

The Hornby wagon is not only too tall in the wheel/suspension arrangement but also the Barrel mount is overscale. I would challenge anybody to fix the barrel height from the chassis to the top so wheel mods are the best way forward.

I cut off and reused the suspension mouldings but shortened them from the top edge by 1). the fine saw taking off between 0.5 and 1mm and then 2). gradually shaving them to line up the axleboxes with the bearing centre.

Its not spot on but a lot better. Any more off and it would have looked gash.

IMG_20140528_163002.jpg

Also did a Lima Tripolyphosphate while I was at it, which doesnt have the same barrel issue.

IMG_20140528_163041.jpg

IMG_20140528_163016.jpg

Brake discs are from Colin Craig.

Next step is to graft on the rest of the suspension, re-pipe the wagons, fit couplings and probably turned buffer heads.

There are other etched details which will be fitted in the future also

TBC

Rgds

Mark

• 4 months later...

Hi mark, just come across this article whilst researching PCA upgrades. I've got a whole load of these Hornby and lima wagons and also recently acquired a rake of the Bachmann ones. I hadn't placed the two side by side so hadn't noticed the difference in height so this will be a big help when I get round to doing mine.

Do you have any further info on fitting the w irons? Or how to get the article by Jim?

Also what buffers will you be using for these? Some of my Hornby ones have snapped buffers so will need replaced but I have no knowledge on the subject. I'll be needing the main buffer bodies and the heads.

Thanks for posting this.

Cheers.

Hi

The gaps for the W-Irons were chain drilled as per the third pic from the top. Be careful to leave material in the centre of the chassis body to stop the W-Irons just falling through.

When you normally make up the W-Irons there are tabs to be folded across the centre to give it strength, these have to be left flat or it doesn't sit flat against the PCA chassis.

Jim's Article is on DEMU http://www.demu.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18383.0.html, if you're a member

I'll be using 51L buffers when I get round to finishing this, I only need the heads.

I have also picked up some of these http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=173

Rgds

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi

I've taken a simpler (and less accurate) approach to reducing the ride height of my Hornby PCA wagons. I replaced the wheel sets with Kadee HO scale 36" code 110 smooth back wheel sets (product code #522). These don't have the 3-hole pattern and are a direct fit albeit with a minimal amount of reaming of the axle box and a dusting of graphite powder. They are smaller in diameter than the equivalent OO scale wheels and reduce the ride height nicely. Kadee wheel sets are also very reasonably priced. They look acceptable to my eye at least when viewed side on. I've pictured the PCA next to a Bachmann VDA Railfreight van for comparison.

For the couplings, I cut off the Hornby clip in coupler mount as close to the base as possible. Using evergreen strip styrene 1.5mm square, I joined two pieces together and glued these in front of and behind the original coupling mount. The remains of the mount allow these to fit snugly in. I then glued a small piece of 1mm thick plastic sheet to the top of this for a Dapol NEM coupler box to sit on. This comes out at the right height for a Kadee NEM coupler to fit in and has the advantage of being replacable by a tension lock coupler if ever required. Once I'd sorted out the measurements for the first one, it was a relatively quick job to do the two remaining wagons. Additional weights were stuck inside the tanks using self adhesive 1/4 oz. lead weights. The wagons run very well with no wobble and with the extra weight, make coupling with Kadees very reliable.

Hope this may be of some help to someone.

Regards

David

Tauranga, NZ.

post-5225-0-82708200-1452305655_thumb.jpeg

post-5225-0-01463100-1452305683_thumb.jpeg

post-5225-0-13491900-1452305727_thumb.jpeg

post-5225-0-56873800-1452305753_thumb.jpeg

post-5225-0-87224900-1452305776_thumb.jpeg

Archived