Millom Model Railex September 6th & 7th

cheshepe

Millom Model Railway Exhibition at The Palladium Theatre, Millom, Cumbria LA18 5DW.

Saturday 6th September 10am - 5pm & Sunday 7th September 10am - 4pm.

Admission Prices: Adult £3.50, Concession £3.00 & Family £8.00 (2+2 but we are flexible if talked to politely!)

To be Officially Opened by Mayor of Millom, Felicity Wilson.

Show Guide 50p, includes a free draw with chance to win a set of three OO Gauge Wagons, courtesy of Bachmann Europe.

At least ten working layouts in all many scales including award winning models:

Bassenthwaite Lake (N - Lake District CK&PR Don Annison's wonderful lake scene - As seen in BRM)

Beamish Colliery (G - Minimum space G Scale with fully illuminated & detailed buildings by Maurice Bramley & Jack Burnard)

Hawes (N - Eric Farragher's wonderfully scenic model - As seen in BRM)

Irgendwohm im Allgau (N -  southern Germany by John Brady of the NGS World Wide Group - As seen in Continental Modeller)

Iron Street Mills ((EM - Andrew Wright returns to Millom (where he once worked as Bus Station Manager) along with a model of the much loved 'Snipey'))

Loch Dour (OO - DCC, Kevin Pearson from FMRC.  Scenic Scotland with DCC Sound.  BR Blue Era)

Millom (N - Millom circa mid 1950's to early 1960's, giving us scope to run a large variety of locomotives and stock)

Parkhouse (N - recently bought by Millom member, this is Steve Farmer's brilliant minimum space North Staffs in BR Blue)

Shasta (Z - Kevin Smith returns with a scenically completed version of the California plains)

Thomas & Friends (OO - Philip Tuer returns with the kids favourite, which they can operate)

Vic Crossman Static Display - (Vic returns to Millom with a display of his scratch built working 5" Gauge Locomotives

South Lakeland Model Engineering Society - The lads from Ulverston return to provide Free rides behind their working 5" Gauge Steam Locomotives and display their superb miniature engineering.  Weather Permitting!

Traders: Crafty Hobbies (Barrow in Furness - New OO & N Gauge Hornby, Bachmann Farish & Dapol Gold Dealer) & L&S Models (Lancaster New & Pre-owned OO)

Licenced Bar, Light Refreshments available in the Café, FREE Parking, Grand Raffle with the chance to win a brand new N Gauge Class 27, wagons, OO coach kits and more (Sponsored by Dapol Model Railways).

The Bridge Café is just 100 yards from the venue for those visitors requiring a hot meal.

Millom Model Railway Exhibition has built a reputation for being a small, friendly but high quality show over recent years!  Please come along, see these superb layouts and support your local show!

Show Sponsored by South Copeland Community Grants

There's usually a couple of traders,but more important is, a barrel of real ale on the bar!!!!

Cracking little show,your well looked after by Pete (sorry Pete MBE,main brewing engineer :jester:  :jester: ) and the rest of the gang.

I'll be there helping on Hawes or making sure the beer's ok!!!!

Ray

Thanks Phil, I am very late organising this year, due to hospital radio commitments.  There are two traders, now listed on my original post.  If there is something special that you particularly want such as adhesives, paint, brass, plastics, etcetera please let me know and I will pass comments on to them.

Thanks Ray, for your kind comments.  As usual, we have changed the layouts and attempted to bring something different but high quality to Millom.  We are limited by hall size in the town but we feel that the high quality of all our layouts makes this is special smaller show.  This year we have modellers exhibiting from Doncaster and Bolton in addition to our friends from Barrow, Ulverston and the West of the County who all keep expenses to a minimum to assist us.

If you have never been to the Millom show, please come along, you'll be surprised at the high quality of our exhibitors and unlike some larger shows, we value our customers, traders and exhibitors because without you, there would be no show!

Hawes and Bassenthwaite Lake are worth the entry money alone!  I could spend hours admiring Don Annison's lake and Eric Farragher's stinky sewage works!  :no:

All accompanied by the sounds of Baby Sulzer's 'chugging'!  I'm trying to get my latest sound project finished in time, recorded from 27 024 at Haverthwaite, adding another local connection!. Kev.

Great Kev, I've always been a fan of the 25, 26, 27 classes, such a useful size loco for everything from shunting, freight and passenger workings.  Not long after we started Green Road, BR Preston Divisional Manager gave us a day out with our 'own' train, class 25 and an ex LMS inspection saloon.  We stopped at Green Road for them to inspect our gardens and do the PR bit then onwards to Carlisle and down to Settle.  I could kick myself, if I had two legs that worked, for not taking any photographs.  I bet that was the only time that a special train stopped at Green Road!

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the class 27 on Loch Dour.

Not long after we started Green Road, BR Preston Divisional Manager gave us a day out with our 'own' train, class 25 and an ex LMS inspection saloon. 

Jealous me? Never! lol. Kev.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Kev and Ray for bumping this topic!  I have been ill and busy with Radio Lonsdale commitments!

Anyway, everything is fine for next weekend and I have updated the main topic with a few bits of additional information.

The show is just a few yards from the Northern Millom station, which by the way is featured in this year's show following a lot of scenic additions and partial signalling, but be warned there are no Sunday trains on the Cumbrian Coast Line!!!  If coming by train from the South (Barrow & Preston) simply walk up the steps to the road and turn right.  The Palladium is opposite the Shell Garage and there will be a large banner on the fence!

If coming by train from the North, walk out of the station exit and cross the road to the Shell Garage (Wharton's) and cross the road, you'll see the large banner on the fence!

If coming by car from the South, the banner has been put up at the Whicham Valley junction, follow the sign for Millom.  On entering the town you'll see the board advertising the show on the bridge.  If you miss it simply turn right at the Shell Garage, we are then on your left.  If travelling by car from the North follow signs into Millom and we are on the right, about 20 yards before the Shell Garage.

Look forward to meeting you Phil!

Good news for our exhibitors!  Our caterer has offered to put on a curry one day and hot soup the other, as many exhibitors prefer something hot!  I don't mean a woman, Ray!

Please come along and support your local show!  It's been hard attracting sponsors this year so we need as many as possible to attend.  We have a great line up of layouts and some great model railway gear for grabs on our raffle!

There's something for all with American, German, NCB Steam, BR Steam & BR Blue Period layouts on show!

Already running around like a headless chicken like I always do before a show!

Thank goodness that my wife and daughter are organised!  They've got the raffle and tombola sorted as usual, some great prizes thanks to Bachmann, Dapol and our local businesses who have supported the show once more!

Been down to the Club with the lads today and Millom and Parkhouse are ready for loading into the van once Alan gets home from work shortly.  Many thanks to Alan's employer, City Electrical Factors, for giving us free use of the van over the weekend.  Very generous gesture!

Having a quick rest of my bloody gammy leg which is now killing me, before we start again with tonight's setting up.  Then the headless chicken really gets going!

So, now it's up to you folks!  Come along and visit a small but high quality and friendly show in one of the most scenic parts of the country!  We've once again brought together some great scenic and operational layouts for your benefit.

For those with a penchant for real ale, we've got the Bear on the Square, the Hardknott on Track (Millom Station) and the Prince of Wales (Foxfield) all close by!  The Hardknott Brewery is also the Club's close neighbour down on the Industrial Estate so come along, see our show and then enjoy a tipple (or two) afterwards!

Well that's it, the layouts are in and just the South Lakes Model Engineers track to go in around the back tomorrow morning!  Back home and shattered so our travelling exhibitors must be really shot at, especially poor old Andrew Wright who was suffering with Sciatica, must have been a long trip from Bolton!  Our furthest exhibitors award this year goes to John Brady and his wife who have travelled from Doncaster!

Thanks to all our exhibitors for coming to Millom, many after a hard day at work!

So come on folks, lets see plenty of support at the Millom Show this weekend!

• RMweb Premium

I've been to the exhibhition today, my first visit to Millom and recommend you go. It's not big, but has top quality layouts you can see without having to fight through crowds of people.

My version of the show guide!

Shasta - American Z gauge. I'm not really into American trains, but I have to admit I did like this. The Z gauge trains are dwarfed by the scenery.

Bassenthwaite Lake. As it says, its just a train set oval! But the trains run at scale speeds through stunning scenery.

Millom - now I know what the station used to look like.

Iron Street Mills - atmospheric industrial shunting layout.

Loch Dour - watch and hear Sulzer type 2's and 37's in the Highlands. Happy memories.

Beamish Colliery - there are so many interesting details to see, I could spend hours looking at it even if no trains are running.

Irgendwohn Im Allgau - nice to see a continental layout at a local show. Good to see a class 218 in action.

Parkhouse - only 6 foot by 10 inches, but probably the best N gauge layout I've seen.

Hawes - Settle & Carlisle line, very nice.

Shame you can't get there by train tomorrow as there are no Sunday services on the Cumbrian Coast line, it has to be one of the most scenic lines in the country.

Wow!  Colin and Phil, many thanks for your kind remarks about the Millom Show.  A colleague from Radio Lonsdale in Barrow also visited the Exhibition for the first time ever today, he stated that our committee should be proud of this small show and that he was amazed at the standard of the layouts!

We have improved the show year on year and are especially proud of this year's line up of award winning, magazine featured layouts!  Such a great bunch of exhibitors too!

As stated earlier, we have struggled to attract external sponsorship this year so please come along and see these great models to ensure that we keep this great attraction for future years!!!!

Thanks to all those who attended today and to those who purchased raffle or tombola tickets.  The raffle will be drawn at approximately 3pm on Sunday so good luck to all.  Perhaps you'll be the lucky winner of the Dapol sponsored Class 27 locomotive, OO Coach kits or N Gauge RTR wagons!   There are also bottles of wine & spirits on offer to the lucky winners!

Remember that the lucky programme draw winner will receive a set of three Bachmann OO Gauge Wagons tomorrow afternoon.  Well worth the 50p, it has layout details and contains the advertising that helps to maintain the show!!!

For the exhibitors, three trophies will be handed out to the best scenic layout, visitors favourite layout or display and best operating layout at approximately 3pm.

Millom Railway & Scale Modellers welcome constructive criticism along with positive comments regarding our shows.  We understand that many would like to see more OO Gauge, the most popular UK scale, at our show.  However, many of the OO Gauge layouts available would take all of the room available at the Palladium Theatre and we prefer to provide some variety for all visitors.

Therefore if you own or know of a smaller sized good quality OO layout that may be available for September 2016 please let us know and we'll certainly look into this.  In the meantime we are about to start an end to end model of our own as we realise that any club should really have a OO Gauge layout for exhibition use!

Kevin Pearson's Loch Dour is a great example of a very high quality OO Gauge layout that does not take all the space at a smaller venue.  Beautifully modelled, well operated, authentic BR Blue period models with DCC sound, superb scenery and a station setting that is very obviously set in Scotland.

We also struggled to get a decent narrow gauge layout for the 2014 show.  Again we would like one for 2016, if possible.  Of course it keeps costs down if we can hear of good quality models that may be available within the County but as our regular visitors now know, we will go further afield if necessary to keep our high standards.

It's another glorious day here in Millom, so please come along and enjoy the steam train rides with the children in the sunshine today!  They're included in your entry fee and you can ride as many times as you like.  Well behaved parents are also welcome to ride!  Take the kids for a ride whilst you can, it sure beats them taking you for a ride all of the time!  Ha! Ha!  Otherwise you can simply enjoy a cuppa on the grass whilst the gang enjoy the rides!

Many thanks to Adrian, Maurice, Billy and the team from South Lakes Model Engineers for providing this service at short notice and to Copeland Borough Council for the free use of their land this weekend.

If you like overseas models we have a couple of cracking award winners this weekend in Shasta, Kev Smith's beautiful scenic model set in the California Plains and Irgendwohn im Allgau, John Brady's superb rendition of South West Germany where the German & Swiss borders meet very close to the Austrian border, complete with overhead catenary and track machines!

Cracking show guys. The most friendly show we have exhibited at for many years! A good mix of layouts, and help loading/unloading the van too! But for me,and many others,the star of the show was Heather, she never stopped with the tea and coffee, and always had a smile. Did you notice she got the biggest cheer at the end too! Kev.

all back home safe and well and slowly drying out from a rather WET weekend (beer that is),another cracking show by Millom gang with some great layouts.

I'd like to echo kev about the show and Heather, she never stop all weekend, a big thanks from me and the Hawes crew,it was much appreciated.

Pete slowly getting the hang of using a microphone too,keep going, you may get on the radio one day!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Please call me Chesh or Pete!  We don't have a show every year.  It's biennial, so the next one is the first weekend in September 2016.  We've not finalised dates but it will probably be 3rd / 4th September 2016.

I'd be most interested in reasonable quality layouts, not too big in either of the scales that you mentioned.  We have had some unusual scales in the past.  Indeed our own Manx Electric Railway was 12mm gauge track and 4mm scale.

Please pass feel free to make inquiries on our behalf and we'll take a look at these if the owners are willing to come.  Especially interested as they've not been seen in Cumbria and it would help to minimize costs for the club.

We local clubs all try to help each other to keep costs down but it's always nice to get the first shot at one not seen in the county, such as the German layout at this weekend's show.

Thanks for coming to the show and we're glad that you enjoyed it.  We actually made a small loss this year, first time ever, as I was unable to get sponsorship partly due to my commitments at hospital radio.  I will not make the same mistake twice!

Archived