Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

The top hatch is for loading; presumably there are a couple, as the 30' ones (UBC/IBC/IFF) I've seen elsewhere have 4. I see the Dow trains near the Channel Tunnel- there seem to be a few blue boxes in most trains as well. The bigger boxes used to be tripped down from ADJ; has that traffic ceased now?

These were the pictures I refered to.....

I took them back in August this year there is a good clear shot of the small vents/hatches on the top of the 20' boxs, the shame is the shadow of the clown on the side. Ha.......

post-9901-0-12284200-1415743084_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I've a shot of one of those Polybulks, taken at Dover about 20 years ago, with the my shadow in the same position as yours..

That sort of container exists in a couple of basic styles; apart from the differing lengths (I've seen 20', 30' and 40', depending on the product), there are options for a two-part upper door, so it can also be used as a 'normal' container, or a narrow door on one side of the end, simply for access for cleaning. This firm's site has some interesting views:-

http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/products/containers

lots of planning work on at moment, so busy busy busy, which I know is a good thing, so modelling is crammed into short slots, tonight an hour on the track work for the shunting section received its basic corrosion colour to the track sides, I use humbrol Matt 119. As a basic start, painted on prior to installation, make sure contact areas for key electrical areas are kept clear. Here is the track with some of the tank stack taking shape in the background.

post-9901-0-37895800-1415909806.jpg

Received an enquiry to take Ranelagh bridge to the BRM exhibition in Doncaster in February today, checked with the important people and looks like it's ok to go, so will return the forms and see what happens, it it compares to the model rail live exhibition we exhibited at last year, this could be a cracking weekend.

Might have saved a bit to buy the polybulks by then. Haaaaaaaaaa

Ebay crazy prices at the moment, so will bide my time and await the new batches, been told that Bachmann had a large container of gear arrive in the last few days, wonder if any of it will filter up to Warley? Hoping the real track Arriva train Wales pacers wil be there.

Planning a trip with 2975 and my buddy Mac. Would normally dodge it like the plague.

Oh..... Can I hear weatherspoons calling..... Ttfn.

Hi Paul, I have a couple of poly bulks I I could lend you if you get really stuck. I've also ordered a 143 and think they are due January.

Cheers Ben, at this time, I will take you up on your offer, I won't need them till next October for the cardiff show, as long as it's finished, or for a few photos if I try to plug it in a magazine.

But at least I can budget the cash on other parts of the layout instead, so here comes more detailing for the chemical works.

Cheers and thanks a lot.

Guess that will entitle you to a free hour operating at the show........

• Like 1

................................. wonder if any of it will filter up to Warley?

Planning a trip with 2975 and my buddy Mac. Would normally dodge it like the plague.

In preparation for Warley,I've already stopped showering, ceased changing my underwear, dug out an anorak I bought in 1974 that has never been washed and has a collar you could fry chips in; and have bought an army surplus Bergen to put on my back so as to knock other punters out of the way as I (impersonating the rush to the stern of the Titanic) join the stampede to the Bachmann stand ! 

Brian R

This is not the Barry that I remember!  My grandparents lived at the top end of Park Avenue.  I'm afraid I'm old enough to recall coal being tipped and exported and Geest bananas being imported - oh, and the endless stream of excursions to the Island.  Before he retired Gramp was head of the mineral accounts office based in the old Barry Railway HQ building by Barry Dock station.  Sadly it is not he that is commemorated by the statue outside.

Sadly over 90% of the track that used to be in the dock area has been rationalised out of existence.  How fortunate we are that there is still something to model.  This is looking good!

Chris

• Like 1

Now the top picture just allows the slightest glimpse of the the famous premises of BRUNOs timber, in the woodham style corrugated iron warehouse on the right, locals are invited to sample the yesteryear atmosphere, where the customer is right, and the proprietor, Mike, is the keenest bloke on the planet to please every customer, the place just raises a smile as I type this.

And I do believe br2975 sourced a substantial amount of his shed timber here.

Nice shots brother..........

Sourced more tubing and figments for the chemical plant. Called wattsy the man who can, and he is going to cut me some card polo discs to make walkways around the towers,

Work is now well underway on four 4'x2' boards. Hopefully next weekend will see the official start no.7

Like the progress on the containers Paul. Looking forward to the start of the built. Hopefully I'll be starting my new layout in the next couple of weeks, once the railway room is emptied of the rest of the house lol. I'm gonna build two 4"x2" for it. (Unless I can pinch two of yours lol!)

Glossed the containers two nights ago. Set about the transfers tonight, pleased with efforts so far, rails of Sheffield dispatched two Dapol container fret pairs, not prototypical I know, but they are capable of carrying three 20' each, which the Bachmann twins won't.

So these may be the standard units.

Still considering Warley on Sunday, Saturday is already booked, so no work on the baseboards this weekend,

Started collecting bits and bobs for the chemical plant.

post-9901-0-42495300-1416431632.jpg

post-9901-0-18027200-1416431652.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just found these containers full of fine ground decorative stone, ballast to you and me, in IKEA, for £1.75 a 750g over 1 1/2 lbs in weight.

Other colours, sand coal etc are there, but I cleaned up on the grey and black.

post-9901-0-39118500-1417365536_thumb.jpg

Couple of progress pictures of the start of the chemical plant, thanks to Baz for the 30mm fax paper tubes that make up the towers, sourced a load of laser cut mount board discs and rings to make the walkways, from simon of course.

Finally found a use for the old TEA tanks that have lounged in the scrap box for over three years.

post-9901-0-48112400-1417384133_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-35750900-1417384182_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-68295000-1417384201_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-54003200-1417384229_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hmmm, better get down to IKEA - I think I might be driving in to work in Cardiff on Wednesday ;)

Go through the market place, and when you get to the indoor plants, just before the main warehouse with all the carcass boxs,s

There is a section with vase,s , the sand gravel and crushed glass tubs are all there on a pallet.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally something to report. I took delivery of four base boards yesterday from Wattsy, I would be lost without his help, and he thinks we,re all odd.......but still helps out, 4'x 2' in old money, ply sides and an MDF top, I will glue some Sundeala under the track sections and then some 25mm celotex around the built up areas,

The garage is dripping like a -----ed fridge, so no more building in their so over the holiday period I'm flooring the loft and installing a new loft access hatch, the materials all come Saturday morning. So layout building can begin in earnest over the festive period, yippee.

Work on the chemical plant continues well the basic frame is three walthers sketatal tower block frames, and a lot of plumbing pipe of various dia.s

Pictures to follow on weekend.

Roughing out the chemical plant which will hide the fiddle yard siding.

Still plenty to do but you can get a feel for it from this shot I hope.

The chemical towers will be sprayed in a DOW Corning beige, and the steel framing will be a

A blue colour, pipe work will be in an off White colour,

Handrail on order from the laser cut card man........Wattsy...

This is the focal point so the painting and detail will take up some time.

post-9901-0-68059300-1418582748_thumb.jpg

• Like 8