Vopak Chemical Complex, Barry docks terminal.

naturol

Im sat in hotel room at the Folkestone show, about to pop to bar.

And just looked at the link above, brilliant.

As I want to contain the layout between a lighting valance/pelmet and side screens/ view blockers These could actually be stuck on the front of a scenic break panel.

Will be printing them off asap,

Cheers Mr. Goldfish.

• Like 1

Struggling to upload pictures at the moment, since I uploaded the latest iPad version pictures just won't upload as they did previously, so so a quick verbal update on progress.

Recent purchases have seen an order for a Broadway ltd trackmobile, hopefully will arrive by Wednesday,

Also bought a big box full of styrene kits of C rail containers, 20' box containers, tanktainers, and spider tanks, all are now part built ready for spraying, and then transfers, found some bargain Bachmann container frets on eBay, so the only stock that is now missing is three or four polybulks,

Spent a few hours this week taking pictures again of shunting operations on the dock.

Great but can't share them....... Thursday saw three polys, a short rake of frets and clear blue skies,

And the environment agency enforcement officers all over the recycling / tip site,

Oh joy....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so now I know that the pictures can once again be uploaded, i can bring the thread upto date,

Following a show at Folkestone, then cardiff, and Finally Birmingham, my weekends have been filled with my girlfriends pet hate right through October, I will not make that many commitments again, my domestic life really suffered.

Modelling has recently been concentrated to the odd hour in the spare room assembling the containers, they are now all ready for painting,

I recently acquired a large surplus spray booth fume extraction unit, from a local school, and have connected it up in the garage, a selection of halfords aerosols will do the bulk of the work,

I have Also acquired a DCC track mobile from ebay for £50 which I think is a top bargain. Stock has been sourced in the form of various contain frets, and will soon be extended with some Dapol b sets, various proprietory containers have been sourced as to has a couple of walthers kits, one being the steel frame skeleton of a sky scraper which will form the basic of the chemical plant,

Baz, the builder and operator of shepcote lane steel terminal layout, ( please seek it out and watch in awe at his tippler and traverser, all scratch built, ) gave me a large amount of plastic items whilst we were at the cardiff show, these are to further add to the plant, chemical

towers etc,

Timber has also been set aside to start the base boards, as is all the track and cobalt digital motors.

I was loaned a sound fitted Bachmann 66 from the limited run of 66050 from Lord and Butler, to demonstrate at Folkestone, whilst it was not the weathered version it is a fantastic model, toward the end of the show it ran on Ranelagh bridge with my high output ballast cleaner and was a great talking point.(see attached image) , but it reinforced the fact that one will be needed for the layout in due course.

Also attached is a model found on the Internet of a chemical plant similar in structure to what I want to replicate, the steel skeletal frame is to be built from styrene section ordered from an ebay trader in the Far East, 60 odd lengths 600 mm long of caring size for bladders, should be here in the next week or so.

Some Pikestuff buildings will be sourced as the internal building elements of the skeletal frame.

post-9901-0-11423500-1415397948_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-15604300-1415397991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I intend having the layout displayed as high, if not slightly higher than that of Ranelagh bridge, so that you look into the layout, at eye level, and across the tracks, which means the chemical plant will dominate the back scene, and will be the industrial heart of the model, an operating diorama basically,it will be open from above and will be set in daylight, but the actual site at night is a camera enthusiasts dream, and to those of you who have an engineering bend, the following picture just says it all. Let's hope I can deliver on my vision.

post-9901-0-79829000-1415398753_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Amended track plan (again) very conscious of potentially taking this on the exhibition circuit, so costs of transportation need to be kept low, as typically the layout will be sole operated sometimes by two, the individual sections need to manageable sizes, so straight long and simple logistics, so I guess this is close on the final draft.just need to create a run round loop on the left hand end of the layout. Long enough to get a pair of Dapol FEA-b sets and a class 66 in the engine release. So guessing on around 1200mm long track lengths.

post-9901-0-10448800-1415479206_thumb.jpg

Stolt tank tainers, suttons, and some DOW, some of the unlabelled yellow ones as well.

The 20' boxes, Hapag Lloyd, genstar, CMA, OOCL. And a few others..

Started hand painting the support frames by hand, and suddenly realised how much work I have in store.

And that's befor I embark on the transfers. Doh.

Baseboard construction continues tomorow.

Aren't containers fun ;) is it just 20s that run to that location?

Not always, but they are the norm, of late, the bulk of the containers are a 20' type with amended end doors that open both to the side, and have a drop down lower section to let granular material flow straight out when tipped up, they also have a top hatch which I assume is for filling or to balance air into the box when it's emptied. These are typically green, I have some photos on another camera which I will upload this evening,

There are some 30' and 40' boxes there as well, but they never seem to move and act more like a large wind break / wall at the end of the stack.

Ttfn.

• Like 1

Not always, but they are the norm, of late, the bulk of the containers are a 20' type with amended end doors that open both to the side, and have a drop down lower section to let granular material flow straight out when tipped up, they also have a top hatch which I assume is for filling or to balance air into the box when it's emptied. These are typically green, I have some photos on another camera which I will upload this evening,

There are some 30' and 40' boxes there as well, but they never seem to move and act more like a large wind break / wall at the end of the stack.

Ttfn.

The top hatch is for loading; presumably there are a couple, as the 30' ones (UBC/IBC/IFF) I've seen elsewhere have 4. I see the Dow trains near the Channel Tunnel- there seem to be a few blue boxes in most trains as well. The bigger boxes used to be tripped down from ADJ; has that traffic ceased now?

Hi Paul, some great stuff going on there. Gutted I missed the Cardiff show, work commitments (playing with the black stuff at Portbury). I built one of the tanktaners a few years ago, it's hand painted at the moment (quite badly at the min thou) need to sort it out. Really need to sort out a viewing of ranelagh bridge too .

Hi Paul, some great stuff going on there. Gutted I missed the Cardiff show, work commitments (playing with the black stuff at Portbury). I built one of the tanktaners a few years ago, it's hand painted at the moment (quite badly at the min thou) need to sort it out. Really need to sort out a viewing of ranelagh bridge too .

I wish you'd mentioned the painting prior to me buying and assembling the box full I ordered, I will be lucky to paint one in a session, so I'm just painting them in six,s at present, as an aside, when you buy the kits, you get around 50% extra mouldings on each fret, but your missing the 30mm dia tube, for the tank,

I ordered a 500mm length of Perspex tube and cut it down to 65mm lengths on a lathe, that gave me an extra 9 tanks on top. Great.......but now the painting is a daunting task.

How is FLHH ? When are you across these parts next?

• Like 1

I wish you'd mentioned the painting prior to me buying and assembling the box full I ordered, I will be lucky to paint one in a session, so I'm just painting them in six,s at present, as an aside, when you buy the kits, you get around 50% extra mouldings on each fret, but your missing the 30mm dia tube, for the tank,

I ordered a 500mm length of Perspex tube and cut it down to 65mm lengths on a lathe, that gave me an extra 9 tanks on top. Great.......but now the painting is a daunting task.

That's useful info, there's some frame containers with generators in that I fancy having a go at, so spares that come with tanks sounds a way to start. Cheers.

That's a great money saver that idea. They are a pain to paint but they look good in a rake. Yeah FLHH is good, been really busy last couple of months. Usually on weekends I'm not working I'm around. Got a house move next weekend and my railway is already being planned in the spare room!