CLASS 91 N SCALE FRONT END MOD,WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Hi all..

Just finished modifying the front end of my newly acquired GNER Class 91.

An easy but fiddly modification using styrene tube and box section and a little filler.

What do you all think?.....................

post-21540-0-02334800-1406835168_thumb.jpg

post-21540-0-06065600-1406835302_thumb.jpg

post-21540-0-64589100-1406835315_thumb.jpg

I did a similar job on one when they first came out, which is why it doesn't have my detailing bits on it! Still, I added the transfer grille/light transfer detail later. Also put in the small lip at the bottom of the windscreen area in 5 thou." and those two small cut outs to make the front more 'busy'.

post-1877-0-84287300-1498928060_thumb.jpg

The overall shape isn't bad, but the detail was never brilliant (nowhere near as crisp as Lima achieved in the late '60s even) but I can't see them being in a hurry to replace it. At least we have a 225 in N, those wanting to model the contemporary WCML in N don't have an RTR Pendo.

• RMweb Gold

Bernard also produces a set of etched side grilles to "refurbish" the 91 into a 91/1 - ideal if you are modelling GNER and later.

I've got a set that I plan to use with my own vinyls to do East Coast Special 91101 Flying Scotsman.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all..

Just finished modifying the front end of my newly acquired GNER Class 91.

An easy but fiddly modification using styrene tube and box section and a little filler.

What do you all think?.....................

Any chance you could link me to the styrene bits you used? What was the diameter? Never scratch detailed a loco before. Mod looks great, model is so much better than with the bogie mounted valance.

Archived