Stewarts & Lloyds 30t IU & 20t Mainline Tippler

My copy of Turton vol. 7 arrived today.

Good photograph and a very usable drawing, thanks for the info. Mark.

I'll scan it and see if I can reduce it to 4mm.

So, for a chassis, would Parksides LNER 12' chassis, from the 21t hopper, be a reasonable starting point? I wouldn't be looking for perfection but as close as possible.

My copy of Turton vol. 7 arrived today.

Good photograph and a very usable drawing, thanks for the info. Mark.

I'll scan it and see if I can reduce it to 4mm.

So, for a chassis, would Parksides LNER 12' chassis, from the 21t hopper, be a reasonable starting point? I wouldn't be looking for perfection but as close as possible.

I believe that this would be as it has the internal framing and the ability to cut and shut but still remaining square! I look forward to see the results!

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Couple of other projects and a holiday to clear in the next few weeks, gives me time to get some of the chassis kits in, and I'll aim make a start in a month or so. I'll start a thread when I do.

• Like 2

I cannot find the chassis for the 21t hopper available on the Parkside website, The only 12' chassis seems to be this;

PA10, BR 12' unfitted Morton brake from kit PC31 (which is the LNER 21t Loco Coal wagon), is this the same chassis/is it still suitable?

Thanks

I cannot find the chassis for the 21t hopper available on the Parkside website, The only 12' chassis seems to be this;

PA10, BR 12' unfitted Morton brake from kit PC31 (which is the LNER 21t Loco Coal wagon), is this the same chassis/is it still suitable?

Thanks

Arthur

It is not in the catalogue, it is a by request from them; either phone or email!

By doing the same you can get the LNER chassis and 1970's welded two stanchion rebody or an early BR rebody using the early BR welded 5 stanchion body!

Mark

Arthur

It is not in the catalogue, it is a by request from them; either phone or email!

By doing the same you can get the LNER chassis and 1970's welded two stanchion rebody or an early BR rebody using the early BR welded 5 stanchion body!

Mark

Or a 21t MDO, using the LNER underframe and either a cut down MEO body or Chivers' Finelines MDV...They don't advertise the service, but have supplied me with all sorts of individual sprues in the past. Best to 'phone or E-mail; I've always found them very helpful.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Update:

On their way to the paint shop for black and white livery. I've decided two's enough for me, mainly because I've run out of bits to make the brake gear from the odds and sods box. 

post-5089-0-39138100-1492189549_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 5

Update:

On their way to the paint shop for black and white livery. I've decided two's enough for me, mainly because I've run out of bits to make the brake gear from the odds and sods box. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0015 (1).JPG

Paul A.

Black and white? Always grey in the pics I've seen.

Any notes on the build? Assume you started with the park side 21t underframe as mentioned by Mark?

Yes, Parkside chassis as alluded to earlier in the thread. Evergreen strip in I and U profile means it comes together quickly. Other than that, the main structure is 30' thou, and the tapered sides take a few attempts to get right. I think next time I'd form this by simply softening the sheet in hot water.

Buffers/brakes are bits I had left over from other projects. 

Black and white? Always grey in the pics I've seen.

The Lancashire steel ones were black and white. Photograph posted earlier in the thread. 

The S&L ones were not always grey.The official Charles Roberts photo at the bottom of page 1 shows a livery which I believe is sand/light brown/orche in colour.

There was a darker brown livery too (as below). 

post-5089-0-95484600-1492266540_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Paul A. 

They look fantastic.  Could you make me a fleet of fifteen or so!  I do need to make one in due course for my (now starting again) Corby project.  Just getting into things after a hard twelve months work with little time for modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Update:

Paul A. 

Great work Paul.

You've done a great job there. 

I too would a rake of these distinctive wagons.

I wonder whether some wizard of 3D printing could come up with a print for the body and chassis?

Look forwards to seeing them finished.

Cheers,

Mark

Could you make me a fleet of fifteen or so!  

Yes, me too.. unfortunately these two are just an excuse to build more locos to run them with...

Do let me know if you start a thread on your Corby layout!

I wonder whether some wizard of 3D printing could come up with a print for the body and chassis?

I did wonder about batch producing resin castings for these - but they'd be very delicate due to the external I beams.

For the first wagons I've scratch built, they were fairly straightforward. I'd urge anyone reading this to have a go themselves, I and U beam from evergreen and some 30'thou for the bodies. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Yes, me too.. unfortunately these two are just an excuse to build more locos to run them with...

Do let me know if you start a thread on your Corby layout!

I did wonder about batch producing resin castings for these - but they'd be very delicate due to the external I beams.

For the first wagons I've scratch built, they were fairly straightforward. I'd urge anyone reading this to have a go themselves, I and U beam from evergreen and some 30'thou for the bodies. 

Paul A.

How about the compromise a resin body box without the stanchions and add them from the styrene or brass sections of your choice?

Mark

Edited by Mark Saunders

• 3 months later...

Hi All, 

My pair of Charles Roberts 20-ton tipplers are now completed. Not a great photo, but it will do while I move house.

post-5089-0-85238800-1501706087_thumb.jpg

Finished in the livery of those supplied to Lancashire Steel, they will join my three 26-ton Lanc steel example, built from Parkside kits. 

Thanks to Arthur and Mark for the inspiration and encouragement. 

Paul A. 

• Like 4

Paul

These look really good and capture the spirit of the real thing! It is a shame that non of this type survived to be conserved!

Are the wooden wagons in the background Ministry of Munitions first world war 20 ton ore hoppers.

Mark

Hopefully they capture the dimensions too!

No, as unfortunately no such kits exist for the MoM Hoppers, much to my disappointment. They are Diagram 72 and 137 LNER variants. They were used in combination with metal-bodied hoppers on ironstone workings, so make for a nice bit of variation. Of course it was very rare to find hopper and tipplers in the same consist, so they'll be joining my hopper rake instead. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Paul

These look really good and capture the spirit of the real thing! It is a shame that non of this type survived to be conserved!

Are the wooden wagons in the background Ministry of Munitions first world war 20 ton ore hoppers.

Mark

The mines stock was among the first to be disposed of for scrap, they were rounded up and stored in Pen Green sidings before being shipped over to the scrap recovery yard which was set up alongside the strip mills. Most if not all were cut up there although there may well have been some cut up on site at Glendon, there were some stored next to the A6003 overbridge until the track was lifted.