Marklin - Loco - Serie Re 4/4 II

adew

As much as I'm pretty much wedded to British outline (being a Brit, though I live in Switzerland), I saw this beauty in my local model shop yesterday:

http://www.maerklin.ch/de/produkte/detailsh0.html?page=&perpage=10&level1=4653&level2=4655&level3=4657&art_nr=37348&era=0&gaugechoice=2&groupchoice=1&subgroupchoice=3&backlink=%2Fwww.maerklin.ch%2Fde%2Fprodukte%2Fspur_h0%2Flokomotiven%2Feloks.html

What a beautiful model, absolutely incredible in the flesh (even Marklin's photos doesn't do justice to the detailing). "Only" an eye-wateringly staggering CHF 395 (that's about 260 quid)... However, compared to the Hornby/Bachmann RTR I'm used to, these Marklin locos seem to be in a different league altogether and are tempting me despite the price. :O :)

• RMweb Gold

Marklin persist with their stud-contact system, I think. It is typically followed by well-heeled folk. But Marklin often release the same model in 2-rail format under the Trix banner, which tends to be 10% or more cheaper. Might be worth looking out for.

Thanks for the link, Dutch_Master.

Roco and Trix prices are a little lower than Marklin's, but still pricey in Switzerland. Prices seem to be better in Germany, thanks to the big difference in VAT rates (8% here versus 19% there), even after taking into account duty and delivery. Stop it, guys! You're tempting me into something when I'm supposed to be starting my first attempt at a P4 project... :lol: 

Thanks for the link, Dutch_Master.

Roco and Trix prices are a little lower than Marklin's, but still pricey in Switzerland. Prices seem to be better in Germany, thanks to the big difference in VAT rates (8% here versus 19% there), even after taking into account duty and delivery. Stop it, guys! You're tempting me into something when I'm supposed to be starting my first attempt at a P4 project... :lol:

a tad off-topic but there are ways of circumventing the VAT issue.  you can PM me for my experiences here.

regards

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Archived