Industrial railroad yards

GWR88

Evening all,

This may seem like a rather broad question but...dies anyone have photos of any industrial rail yards in the mid 60s to the late 80s as i'd like to see the sort of state they were in so i can mak mine look more realistic. Also, any photos of cobbled rail yards would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd

I have a few for your inspiration, but of older images. NY harbour 'pocket terminals' are smallish. Regret I don't have images of mid-60s rubbish strewn terminals. Trash is noticeable in the images of rail-yards. by this times the yards seem immense. Here is W 26th St on Manhattan.

post-22849-0-92951900-1408096018.jpg

post-22849-0-02971300-1408095992_thumb.jpg

post-22849-0-83908100-1408095995.jpg

post-22849-0-67132400-1408096004_thumb.jpg

post-22849-0-85742600-1408096006.jpg

post-22849-0-11075800-1408096010_thumb.jpgpost-22849-0-25576400-1408095994_thumb.jpg

post-22849-0-97514900-1408096014.jpg

post-22849-0-41468400-1408096017.jpg

post-22849-0-92951900-1408096018.jpg

post-22849-0-49383800-1408096052_thumb.jpg

post-22849-0-08091400-1408096013_thumb.jpg

Another load of information about the small railroad yards of New York is here http://teamtrack.soforums.com/t451-NEW-YORK-RAIL-MARINE-OPERATIONS.htm   This is a French site for French modellers of US practice - if you don't read French put it through Google translate - although some of the translation is a bit odd to UK eyes ( I  can spend quite a lot of time on this site!) - again you may be gone for some time!

You may also like   http://teamtrack.soforums.com/t100-EAST-SIDE.htm  - - and note that in the section http://teamtrack.soforums.com/f15-LAYOUT.htm you will find 3 pages of VERY nice US model layouts - well worth a look

Cor thanks phil! Those photos and drawing are brilliant!This reminds me to build a freight house for my layout. The photos of the man on the horse is interseting, i take he is there to warn people to get out of the way of the rails?

Shortliner, i had the perfect day of modelling planned and now you send me these links...Oh well. I was only laying some cobblestones. :jester:

Hi Lloyd,

Check out SeattleRailFan on YouTube, in particular GE44 tonner switching Nucor Steel should give you the idea.

Nick

Really interesting to see the ol' gal in action, the 44-tonner. Nucor is adjacent to Terminal 5, which is part of my workaday beat in the Seattle Terminal.

If you Google Earth the location, Nucor is just southwest of Harbor Island. You can see one of the GEs in the satellite photo.

That reminds me, I need to upgrade the software for the details protecting the West Seattle drawbridge!

Prof,

I'm modelling the union pacific/southern pacific (depends what mood i'm in) in Chicago and Illinois in the sixties, seventies and eighties. Its a VERY small yard that serves the "Great Lakes freightliners" shipping company.

Thanks signalmaintainer.

My layout was originally based in Utah but there weren't many industrial areas that looked like what i wanted to model! Also there wasn't much scope for different railroads to model.

The track diagrams shown, served by a car float, are pretty much a New York thing,

Compact industrial areas like that are an East coast thing, pretty much between Baltimore and Boston with a few pockets in the major older industrial cities (Kansas City to St Louis east to the Atlantic).

What you are looking for are areas that were major industrial centers in the pre-WW1 era.  That's stuff east of the Mississippi mostly.  Maybe a few spots in San Francisco.  Most of the western industrial areas were WW2 era and so are a different design.

The majority of "industrial yards" I have dealt with in the Western side of the Mississippi don't necessarily have industries at them, they support industries in a 10-20 mile radius.   They are an actual yard.

About the only place the SP and the UP were jointly in 1960 that might have something like what you want is Portland Oregon or Salt Lake City (maybe Provo).  By the 1980's the SP and met at Kansas City and San Francisco.

Weren't many Great Lakes in Utah, neither.... :lol: (pedant alert - yes there's the Great Salt lake, but that's not considered one of the Great Lakes... :D )

Hope this isn't too picky, either, but Chicago is in Illinois, rather than "Chicago and Illinois".

I'd suggest an interesting bit of general research - which Railroads went where; and when. Even for fictional layouts it does help to have some credence for the location.

When I first got interested in the Soo Line I thought I'd locate my layout around the borders of North & South Dakota and Montana. It would have been a big no-no, and even if no-one else knew or cared, somehow it was much more satisfying personally to know where the Soo ran and where I could safely say my layout was meant to be.

With the Internet now around, such research is easier than ever. ;)

Thanks dave, luckily my layout is very generic so i can move the location rather easily. When i say industrial, i mean it in a "british" sense; just lots of warehouses and maybe a factory or two. I hope that makes sense. Also, i said about it being a SP and UP interchange but i can easily change that aswell but its only because SP and UP locomotives i have (and a BNSF one but thats not used often!).

F-unit, i try to do as much research as i can but it can be difficult sometimes! Also, what i meant by Chicago and Illinois is that i was modelling Chicago and Illinois in general. Sorry it wasn't that clear but sometimes its hard to describe what ideas are in your head! :dontknow:

I have a few for your inspiration, but of older images. NY harbour 'pocket terminals' are smallish. Regret I don't have images of mid-60s rubbish strewn terminals. Trash is noticeable in the images of rail-yards. by this times the yards seem immense. Here is W 26th St on Manhattan.

attachicon.gifmar W26th n zooit.jpg

Not being at all 'picky' - but where is the connection to 'the rest of the world' on this track plan?

Some great images there.  Plenty of inspiration.

Archived