(Maybe old ground...) Re-wheeling and re-rigging Dublo breakdown crane?

eetype3

Hi again :-)

I'm attempting to make my old Dublo breakdown crane compatible with my Code 75 00 trackwork; hopefully via a 'minimum necessary mods' route because I like the ex-factory Dublo condition. I've found a supplier of replica decals (my example needs a repaint, having received poorly hand-painted wasp ends at some point in her history!), but so far I'm stumped on replacing the wheels.

Can anyone guide me how to fit replacement finer-scale 00 wheelsets to Dublo wagons and cranes please? Mine has the retaining clips holding the axle ends in place - I'm not familiar enough with Dublo products to know whether or not this was de rigeur.

Also, my example (acquired for peanuts from an "antiques" (sic) centre) has the inevitable sisal string replacing the original factory rigging, but at least the original hook is still present. Can anyone point me towards an original-spec rigging diagram please, and give me an idea of the material which was originally used for the cable(s)?

As always, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks & best regards,

Jim H

Hi again :-)

I'm attempting to make my old Dublo breakdown crane compatible with my Code 75 00 trackwork; hopefully via a 'minimum necessary mods' route because I like the ex-factory Dublo condition. I've found a supplier of replica decals (my example needs a repaint, having received poorly hand-painted wasp ends at some point in her history!), but so far I'm stumped on replacing the wheels.

Can anyone guide me how to fit replacement finer-scale 00 wheelsets to Dublo wagons and cranes please? Mine has the retaining clips holding the axle ends in place - I'm not familiar enough with Dublo products to know whether or not this was de rigeur.

Also, my example (acquired for peanuts from an "antiques" (sic) centre) has the inevitable sisal string replacing the original factory rigging, but at least the original hook is still present. Can anyone point me towards an original-spec rigging diagram please, and give me an idea of the material which was originally used for the cable(s)?

As always, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks & best regards,

Jim H

Re-wheeling - ideally, get some old-production Romford Jackson wheels with non-pin-pointed axles; the axle retainers can be released on one side by bend up the securing tags.

If you can't source old wheels, see if Markits can supply the necessary wheels on plain axles - it's always worth asking.

Rigging cord - green string as used in Meccano sets. Thick waxed thread as used by shoe repairers should be fine - though whether it is available in green is another matter; I used brown thread.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Surely the crane uses special 12 ish mm plastic wheels on metal axles, flanged outers and non flanged inners and the match trucks use standard all plastic 12mm ish wagon wheels.

The match trucks will need romford/ jackson non pinpoint axles unless you fancy fitting Romford pin point bushes to the H/D axle holders to allow the use of Hornby pinpoint axles. You remove the retainer by easing up the tags so the retainer and axles drop out. You need to file the bushes flat and flush with the back of the retainer so it will fit back in, which is a fiddle.

I would have thought that modern Hornby wagon wheels would have fitted the H/D axles, if not you have a big problem as the crane is top heavy and will not tolerate the axles being a sloppy fit in the pressed tin inner chassis. the centre axles have elongated holes but it ought to be all right on R2 curves with all wheels flanged.    I am away from my crane at present but I think the pressed tin subfame is riveted in so may need drilling out if you need to bush the axle holes.

It is possible if the Hornby axles are too small then Lima Wheels may fit.

It might be easier to relay the entire layout with code 100 rail

The Cord is standard green  Meccano cord, and the jib lifting cord goes around a rod towards the top of the jib, not sure where the hook cord goes.  The winding handles foul all sorts of things so I replaced mine with gear wheels once part of clocks on shortened winding handle spindles which mean the crane can still be operated.  I used model ship rigging cord from Cheltenham Model Centre which is my local model shop for jib lifting and hook.

With mine repainted black over 20 year ago, i found the HD ok for code 75 track prehaps the wheels are worn a bit, as mentioned the old handles stick out quite a bit but with mine someone had replaced them with gear wheels. As the chassis is metal be carefull with metal wheels due to shorting.

I used fine chain and a scale hook, the chain sits better.

Have you the jacks ? you can get replacements though HRCA these are often lost.

Its a nice model stands the test of time

Thanks folks! I'm on a 'restoration' tip with this one; looking original, but capable on my Code 75 trackwork and, in particular, pointwork. Minimum radius is 27", so sharp curves (in train-set terms) aren't a problem. Eventual plans include adding the Dublo tool van and mess coach, if I can locate examples of each; power will be my Dublo 4MT 2-6-4T :-)

Anyway... overcoming my 'Code 75 blindness' which had persuaded me that the original Dublo wheels didn't stand a chance, I've just test-run the crane set on the layout - without problems. It coped fine with Peco Code 75 medium-radius (36") pointwork including 3-way points, and negotiated 27"-radius Code 75 curves without problem and without riding on the rail chairs.

Hence, green Meccano string it will be; and no need to swap the wheelsets after all!

Just for the sake of completeness, my example is fitted with the following original wheels:

• Match truck/jib carrier: 12mm-dia plastic spoked wheelsets

• Load-spreader bogies: 12mm-dia plastic spoked wheelsets

• Crane, outer wheelsets: 13.5mm-dia plastic spoked wheels on 2mm metal axles (supported by "tin" inner chassis)

• Crane, inner wheelsets: 13.5mm-dia, unflanged plastic spoked wheels on 2mm metal axles (again, supported by "tin" inner chassis)
  • Like 1

Glad it worked on 75 code track

Just out of interest and timing this months issue of the HRCA journal has an article of the real thing at work building bridges for the M5, when I first saw it, I though there a damm good model of the HD version, only to be fooled by the real thing at work at night.

There's an article about breakdown cranes packing trucks & mess coaches in a old steam world mag but can't remember the issue what  do remember is that they had problems keeping staff so decided to make trains more attractive, hence bright clean red paint and mess coaches to keep the crews happy.

HD did a special packing van quite rare now.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...