Sound decoder info needed.

Hue Jarse

Hi. I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. Please make allowances for my stupidity if there is a more relevant section I should have posted this in.

Does anyone recognise the decoder pictured here, or more to the point know where I can find any info on it?

It is the one fitted to 37418 in Bachmann's 'The Highlander' set.

The instruction leaflet tells me that it is a Loksound Select (as suggested by the markings on the pcb) and says that a full CV list can be found on Bachmann.co.uk but all I can find there is a link to the ESU site and none of the decoders there look quite like this one.

I realise that this particular decoder will have been specially programmed for Bachmann and specifically for the class 37 but even allowing for this I can't find a CV table that anything like matches this decoder.

I've emailed Bachmann and hopefully they will eventually get back to me but if anyone can help in the meantime it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

post-22423-0-04973700-1413022874.jpg

post-22423-0-30771200-1413022884.jpg

Hi. I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. Please make allowances for my stupidity if there is a more relevant section I should have posted this in.

Does anyone recognise the decoder pictured here, or more to the point know where I can find any info on it?

It is the one fitted to 37418 in Bachmann's 'The Highlander' set.

The instruction leaflet tells me that it is a Loksound Select (as suggested by the markings on the pcb) and says that a full CV list can be found on Bachmann.co.uk but all I can find there is a link to the ESU site and none of the decoders there look quite like this one.

I realise that this particular decoder will have been specially programmed for Bachmann and specifically for the class 37 but even allowing for this I can't find a CV table that anything like matches this decoder.

I've emailed Bachmann and hopefully they will eventually get back to me but if anyone can help in the meantime it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It's a Loksound 21pin SELECT.  See here for the full downloadable user manual : http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

What are you trying to do/change etc ?

HTH

Ken

Interesting that Bachmann are now using LokSound Selects in the UK for UK outline models as ESU make them available to N American and Australian dealers only and aren't available to dealers outside those areas. Probably it allows Bachmann to charge less for the loco/set as the Select is cheaper than the LokSound V4.

The Select is a special version of the Loksound V4 with limited capacity for reprogramming with new sounds. You can only load new Select Sound files to it, and you would need a LokProgrammer to do that. Unlike the V4 LokSound it does NOT have Railcom or Railcom Plus, probably to keep the price down. It has its own manual, distinct and separate from the LokSound V4 manual. You can, however, use the ESU Stay alive PowerPak (54670) with the Select.

Interesting that Bachmann are now using LokSound Selects in the UK for UK outline models as ESU make them available to N American and Australian dealers only and aren't available to dealers outside those areas. Probably it allows Bachmann to charge less for the loco/set as the Select is cheaper than the LokSound V4.

>> That's exactly my thoughts also.  I was surprised to find a Select in L/L 37 418 and not a Lok 4 - see my other posts the DCC sound section on this

The Select is a special version of the Loksound V4 with limited capacity for reprogramming with new sounds. You can only load new Select Sound files to it, and you would need a LokProgrammer to do that. Unlike the V4 LokSound it does NOT have Railcom or Railcom Plus, probably to keep the price down. It has its own manual, distinct and separate from the LokSound V4 manual. You can, however, use the ESU Stay alive PowerPak (54670) with the Select.

>> The possible ? non reprogramming capability with UK sounds is my main concern.

It's a Loksound 21pin SELECT.  See here for the full downloadable user manual : http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

What are you trying to do/change etc ?

HTH

Ken

Thanks for the replies.

I had actually found the Select manual given in the link but as I said it doesn't really seem to match with this decoder.

For instance I had no luck trying to use CV32 as an index register for CV257-511, although I shall try again when I get the time.

As to what I was trying to do, I was simply trying to remap a few functions in order to make them work similarly to my other non-sound Bachmann 37s and 47s on which I have made slight modifications to the locos pcbs in order to give independent control of the tail lights and the cab lights. (I didn't like having to have both cab lights on at the same time nor having to lift the loco off the tracks to switch the tail lights off when pulling a train).

Thanks for the replies.

I had actually found the Select manual given in the link but as I said it doesn't really seem to match with this decoder.

>> IIRC the manual shows only wired examples of the Select, and not the 21 pin option, but it's the same decoder.

For instance I had no luck trying to use CV32 as an index register for CV257-511, although I shall try again when I get the time.

>> What DCC system are you using when attempting to change CV257-511 ?  as some systems can't read/write higher CV's, including the EZ controller that came with the set.

As to what I was trying to do, I was simply trying to remap a few functions in order to make them work similarly to my other non-sound Bachmann 37s and 47s on which I have made slight modifications to the locos pcbs in order to give independent control of the tail lights and the cab lights. (I didn't like having to have both cab lights on at the same time nor having to lift the loco off the tracks to switch the tail lights off when pulling a train).

>> These changes are possible, but changes to the existing wiring circuits will also be necessary.

Yes, as I explained I have modified the electronics of my other Bachmann locos to give the desired effects. (I am an electronics engineer by trade and the required mods are in any case quite simple to apply). It is just the re-mapping of the decoder functions using this particular decoder that I am having a bit of difficulty with.

I am using an NCE powercab to read/write CVs.

Thanks for the replies.

You may get some answers on the "loksound" group on Yahoo. There are a lot of US users, and also the US importer who comment there, and they will have more experience of the Select. I believe the CV structure for function mapping is similar between the Select and the V4.

You may get some answers on the "loksound" group on Yahoo. There are a lot of US users, and also the US importer who comment there, and they will have more experience of the Select. I believe the CV structure for function mapping is similar between the Select and the V4.

Thanks Nigel, I shall have another play around with it tomorrow and if I'm still struggling I'll try the group suggested.

Are you able to connect a computer to the programming track (via your DCC system)?

If so, Decoder Pro may offer an easier solution to remapping the functions. It has an easy interface that allows you to tick or untick a few checkboxes for which functions do what, and the program takes care of the actual CVs involved.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to this, I worked out where I was going wrong.

If you are already familiar with the V4.0's workings then you won't have any trouble with the Select, but as someone new to Loksound I assumed the Select manual would tell me what I needed to know. Not so!

The Select does indeed have much the same CV structure as the V4.0 but the Select Manual is somewhat inadequate at explaining it all. For instance there is no function output table like the one on page 52 of the V4 manual, and so I was trying to work things out from the table on page 24 (of the Select) which is not much more than a table of defaults.

It was only on reading through the V4.0 manual that it all started to become clear. Once I understood the concept of the paged CV memory and of the 40 mapping lines I was  well away and found I could easily do what I wanted to do, (and indeed more, thanks to being able to logically AND the functions together).

So to anyone who's got a Select as their first Loksound and wants to play around with the CVs I would say skip the Select manual until you've read through the V4.0 one. You'll save yourself a lot of head scratching!

Thanks to those who replied to my original post and especially to Nigel who's posts on other threads here on RMweb have helped me a great deal in understanding all this.

I would stay clear of the Hornby DCC System as it is Non NMRA compatible, and will probably cause you issues.

Charlie

Charlie, I think you may have the wrong "select" for this thread.

The ESU LokSound Select is a sound decoder primarily targeted at the North American market. Competes with the Soundtraxx Tsunami models. Unlike the LokSound V4, the ability to load new sounds into a LokSound Select is limited. It appears that Bachmann is now fitting ESU LokSound Select decoders to some "DCC Sound Fitted" models for the UK market.

Also an early warning of "fun/grief" at your reblow service when customers present their Bachmann locos fitted with Selects....

- Nigel

I would stay clear of the Hornby DCC System as it is Non NMRA compatible, and will probably cause you issues.

Charlie

Not strictly true. The Select has been upgraded and the Elite has no real issues with NMRA compatability which are very basic anyway. There has been volumes spoken on here about the early DCC system offerings including signal noise and waveforms but i think the dead silence proves that Hornby have sorted most of the issues.

You still need a lot of button pushing to operate a sound locomotive but that is a different subject.

• 1 year later...

As a follow up to this, I worked out where I was going wrong.

If you are already familiar with the V4.0's workings then you won't have any trouble with the Select, but as someone new to Loksound I assumed the Select manual would tell me what I needed to know. Not so!

The Select does indeed have much the same CV structure as the V4.0 but the Select Manual is somewhat inadequate at explaining it all. For instance there is no function output table like the one on page 52 of the V4 manual, and so I was trying to work things out from the table on page 24 (of the Select) which is not much more than a table of defaults.

It was only on reading through the V4.0 manual that it all started to become clear. Once I understood the concept of the paged CV memory and of the 40 mapping lines I was  well away and found I could easily do what I wanted to do, (and indeed more, thanks to being able to logically AND the functions together).

So to anyone who's got a Select as their first Loksound and wants to play around with the CVs I would say skip the Select manual until you've read through the V4.0 one. You'll save yourself a lot of head scratching!

Thanks to those who replied to my original post and especially to Nigel who's posts on other threads here on RMweb have helped me a great deal in understanding all this.

Most interesting - did you manage to get Aux 3 & 4 function outputs to work on the Select  ? if so how ?   Using a Lokprogrammer I could not get them to work on any F key, see this thread for more details etc

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102861-loksound-select-problems-using-aux-3-4/

Archived