Hornby HST Decoders

Nicholas

I apologise if this seems a basic question, I have searched for an answer on here but to no avail. I have recently managed to obtain a Hornby HST DCC ready in East Midlands livery. My question is do the 2 cars require decoders in to make them operate, and do they both require the motor decoders or does the non powered car just need a function decoder? Also are they 8 pin or 21 pin!

Many thanks in advance

Hi Nicholas. Yes both cars need a decoder (both 8 pin) if you want working directional lights in the non-powered car.

Whilst you could use a function only decoder in the non-powered car it would likely be just as cheap (if not cheaper) to use a basic standard motor decoder.

Hi Nicholas. Yes both cars need a decoder (both 8 pin) if you want working directional lights in the non-powered car.

Whilst you could use a function only decoder in the non-powered car it would likely be just as cheap (if not cheaper) to use a basic standard motor decoder.

Many thanks Deltic79, I have been tearing my hair out trying to find out, including a 60 mile round trip to my local stockist who was as much use as chocolate tea pot! Thanks again

Nick

• RMweb Gold

....and if you want something special get two sound decoders and put one in each power car.

Coastal DCC did this for me and it sounds great especially as the end power car starts up moments after the front power car. May be a bit of overkill but the unit sounds great as it powers around the track.....

Keith

....and if you want something special get two sound decoders and put one in each power car.

Coastal DCC did this for me and it sounds great especially as the end power car starts up moments after the front power car. May be a bit of overkill but the unit sounds great as it powers around the track.....

Keith

Thanks Keith that is my ultimate aim

A few years ago,one of my BB lads asked me to chip a train-set HST for him.

Knowing that his family weren't particularly well off, I didn't really want to buy two chips.

However, I discovered that if you remove the outer casing from a 9-way D-connector,it will just fit through a corridor connection (with the door cut out) - so I strung power down the train from one vehicle to the next! (Fortunately he only had one centre vehicle!).

Richard

Guest Digital

Legomanbiffo  does a matched pair of sound decoders for the HST available from DC Kits.

I fitted mine with Bass enhanced speakers and they sound superb.

They also run prototypically with one power car starting shortly followed by the other.

Many features have also been added such as Mark 3 coach wail.

Very impressive indeed.

John

Archived