Is the lack of standards really a disadvantage?

davetheroad

I posted this over on the 7mm+ modelling forum

You can have different manufacturers products operating on your layout at the same time, especially if you are independant of track power. For someone like me who is interested in basic train control it does not really matter if i have 7 Deltang equipped locos, a few Protocabs and a Bachmann or two. They will still work. This in a way future proofs the product without any agreed standards at all. The only standard you need is that they make the trains go and don't interfere with each other.

Imagine the amazing non-interference standard you'd need to create so that something like a future Warley exhibition would work with all the layouts Radio controlled with their own 200 ft range non-standard systems. And yet no-one able to accidentally take over, or disrupt,  another layout's locomotives.

Andy

Imagine the amazing non-interference standard you'd need to create so that something like a future Warley exhibition would work with all the layouts Radio controlled with their own 200 ft range non-standard systems. And yet no-one able to accidentally take over, or disrupt,  another layout's locomotives.

Andy

You are probably right. Best to use an existing standard then. Say the 2.4 Ghz band with Spektrum technology etc used by the model plane fans. they would be rather peeved if their stuff plunged out of the sky because of interference.

There is always malicious intent of course if someone really wanted to do that.

actually Warley would be an interesting test. If someone had a system that did interfere with others it would harm its commercial viability somewhat!.

I presume the bluetooth solutions being mentioned have robust anti interference?

Andy

Something like the one used on mobile phones?

Archived