The H&BLR - SM32 Narrow Gauge in the Garden (Coarse Scale 'O' Gauge) & SM32 Related Workshop Thread

CME and Bottlewasher

It was great chatting to you on Sunday and have spent time reading through this thread, I love your railway and am envious of it.

It blends into the garden really well with a great blend of modelling and planting, very impressive.

Best wishes

Simon (Hobbiton End)

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the kind words - we really love your layout too, skilled modelling and a great subject too.

With the permission of two mags I hope to re-publish my history for the H&BLR here in due course.

Keep in touch.

Kindest,

CME

• 1 year later...

Hi All, :)

Some readers may have noticed that I have updated the OP/Header Page to include a Workshop Thread - under 'one roof'.

Its been a long time since I have Posted anything on the Thread and I am progressing, with my ten minutes here and ten minutes there approach to model-making (which is all that I have time for at the moment), from my 'kits to build' stash an IP 'Lucy' (the all steel version). In the main although I am super-detailing this chunky, fun and yet marvellously mundane loco in a robust and freelance pragmatic way, such is less taxing (most of the time :mosking: ) than my 7mm work (and thus allows me to indulge without too much effort or prep/research). I am currently deciding whether or not to go manual or RC.....We have built, completed and fettled several IP Punch locos and they really are a freelance joy to build, own and run, so the Lucy version is a nice variation on the theme.

I have painted the loco black whilst adding a sandy beige colour to the cab interior - assembly and further finishing details are to be added soon.

Photos to follow too!

Kindest to all,

CME :)

PS

I havent forgotten about the resin van kit, but I need some decent weather so that I can finish the weathering process - we dont seem to have had a week without rain, for months on end, let alone a full week of sun!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Still finding it hard to find time for model-making and have rather neglected the H&BLR, dad has done some maintenance, yet he has some challenges with his hands and eyesight so some of the jobs befall to me - which is okay as and when time permits

After 14 years of garden railway use, several of our H&BLR SM32 (Peco Switches) Tie-Bars (Stretcher-Bars) have given up the ghost along with a few of the rivets too, so the first live-steam special of the year ended (yep the first opportunity to run the railway) up falling foul of these issues - so two SM32 Switches are on order, with a view to repairing the others - so that dad can keep the basics of the H&BLR running whilst I work out how to fit some new Tie/Stretcher-Bars (probably using copper clad/GF sleeper strip I suspect). TBF I am surprised that the Peco Tie-Bars lasted this long as in SM32 they use the same Tie-Bars as on their 7mm Switches and others had complained of breakages within 2-4 years or so of fitting outdoors, so 14 years is good going  :imsohappy: - we have maintained the track well though - and NOW they are popping/splitting/breaking, all at once, all over the layout  :help: . I shall Post details of any repairs and modifications on our H&BLR Thread. 

The smell of steam oil and hot engines has spurred us on!

Here is a bit of eye-candy.....dont think I have Posted this before.

Hopefully more photos of H&BLR and track repairs to follow.

Kind regards to all,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer of this Post 2010-2016 etc

post-11256-0-02280400-1470852259_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

We have received the two Peco Switches - excellent service from Hattons - and I shall update the Thread accordingly as and when we fit them - and fettle/repair the remaining Switches.

In the meantime three events for the diary (Perrygrove/Alan Keef and Steam);-

http://perrygrove.co.uk/dates-prices/calendar-train-times

http://www.alankeef.co.uk/open-day

Not strictly NG, but a nice day out;

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/events/Pages/Swindon-Railway-Festival-2016.aspx#

Kindest regards,

CME

• RMweb Gold

We have received the two Peco Switches and I shall update the Thread accordingly as and when we fit them - and fettle/repair the remaining Switches.

In the meantime three events for the diary (Perrygrove/Alan Keef and Steam);-

http://perrygrove.co.uk/dates-prices/calendar-train-times

http://www.alankeef.co.uk/open-day

Not strictly NG, but a nice day out;

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/events/Pages/Swindon-Railway-Festival-2016.aspx#

Kindest regards,

CME

Well since the Broad Gauge will be featured you can regard all the rest as Narrow Gauge ! I haven't been to the first two since moving from the Forest. Have a good time.

Don

Well since the Broad Gauge will be featured you can regard all the rest as Narrow Gauge ! I haven't been to the first two since moving from the Forest. Have a good time.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks, nice to hear from you - I live about an hour or so away from RFoD and haven't holidayed there for awhile yet we like to get back when we can, two charming events with recollections of autumn sunshine and steam.

The Broad-Gauge? LOL! :jester:  :mosking: yes I hadn't thought of it like that!

Kindest regards,

CME

• 3 years later...

It's been awhile since I posted here.

Running sessions have been few and far between, but fun when they have arisen.

At nearly 18yrs old the railway is showing signs of its age.

Several points have had to be repaired and remedial repairs to the baseboards have been made too.

The future of the railway has a '?' over it, over the next year or so - all good things come to an end?

A photo to demo the remedial Pt Way works (sadly the 10mb allowance means I shall have to post more photos over the next few days).

IMG_20190915_160207.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Ade,

Thanks for the kind words and posting - it was finished in late Sept in reality, the upload limit delayed me somewhat, with posting the photos. There is one more point that needs refurbishing but at least the line is up and running again and the baseboards patched up. The line will be 18yrs old next March - which is scary!

Ever since Sept, except the odd day here and there, it seems to have rained. That stopped work on my layout Down Ampney and if fact foreshortened lots of outdoor jobs.

I think many of us - wrongly - assumed an 'Indian Summer' as in previous years, such weather often extends to window of opportunity for works - not this year though.

ATVB

CME

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words/asking.

To answer your question, sadly not, the weather, the rain, stopped works and play, also on Down Ampney too. I was hoping for an Indian Summer, but it's been mainly rain in these parts, since September. When the weather has been okay we've not been able to work on the line (plus we much prefer working in the warmer weather these days).

Father and I have not been in the best of health either.

Another set of points needs replacing and some tidying of the outdoor structures.

We also lost a lot of conifers to a fungal disease. So there's been some replanting over the past 18months.

We have a running session planned for the end of March - so fingers crossed.

Kind regards,

CME

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed we are.

I managed to venture into my garden before dark today, we are on clay, I've never seen it so wet/sodden* I'm a bit concerned about the section of the line that runs just above ground level.

Time will tell.

ATVB

CME

* I really feel for those poor folk that are flooded out, luckily we are not.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Mike,

Yes indeed we are.

I managed to venture into my garden before dark today, we are on clay, I've never seen it so wet/sodden* I'm a bit concerned about the section of the line that runs just above ground level.

Time will tell.

ATVB

CME

* I really feel for those poor folk that are flooded out, luckily we are not.