Wheale Valley

robgregson1

After spending my childhood with 00 roundy trainset layouts with very poor quality Lima and Hornby models I have modelled in n gauge for the past few years. I was mesmerised with the sound quality and realism that is now available. I recently had a play with a couple of sound fitted 00 locos and the day after was my 40th birthday so with money I was given I purchased a Hornby A4 "Gadwall" with tts sound. Now I have to start a layout to run it on.

I am limited with space so it is going to be on a board of 6' x 3'. I want a four road engine shed with peco inspection pits in the back left corner. I want a turntable in the centre of the board and some stabling sidings and fuel/coal/water points.

The plan is something on the idea of BarrowHill where they have a mixture of stock on site. This will allow me to have the full range of Hornby tts locos (steam, class 40, class 47 and network rail 97).

The name Wheale Valley comes from a play on words of Barrow Hill.

May I offer a suggestion or two?

I know that engine shed layouts are to 21st Century Model Railway Exhibitions what GWR branch lines were to those of the last Century, but one great drawback tends to be that a lot of engine sheds were dark holes into which stuff disappears. So unless you prefer to model topless might I suggest minimising the amount of engine shed and having it either as low relief or for hiding an entrance to a fiddleyard. Or use the engine shed as the fiddle yard itself, particularly if it's in combination with some Peco Loco Lifts which can easily be slid in or out.

That gives more open space for loco servicing - most of which was done outside (try a Google image search which usually shows most action is au naturale!) while giving more room for track and to show off the models. Plus there is more space for the turntable and coaling facilities etc..

Naturally Rule #1 always applies but it seems a shame to splash out on sound and a decent model only to stuff it away in a smoky black 'ole...........

Good Luck!

Eric

Archived