an austerity 2-10-0

Would anyone be interested in purchasing a 3D printed body and chassis unit for an Austerity 2-10-0, I'm considering drawing this up and printing it as a Christmas present to me.

Given that I can currently buy the driving wheels (£16 + £2 postage) and various other components like the entire tender directly from Bachmann or on Ebay if you're lucky. I know DJH make a kit but I fancy trying this.

The £250 cost of the DJH model complete with postage is an extra incentive if ever there was one.

It would be an interesting project, but suggest keeping body in one piece, preferably something to fit a propriety chassis. I built a Austerity 2-8-0 a few years ago, based on a combination of a Hornby 8f with valvegear and tender drive from a Hornby A3/4.The boiler was a piece of old piping.  Bachmann were promising their model , and it was at least a couple of years wait so I thought I would have a go. I had a letter about it published in BRM at the time under the title 'Recipe for an Austerity', and my model could pull a lot more than the Bachmann model.

The 2-10-0 is not a complex loco, I had thought that if I had the right chassis I could repeat the exercise.

Was the 2-10-0 , just a stretched LMS 8f or is it nearer to a BR 9f in size?

The wheel spacing between driving wheels is not the same 9fs have 5' - 5" the austerity is 5' - 3" (though I doubt any of us could really tell as that only adds up 0.6mm)

The parts that I have figured out are of use off the Bachmann model are the driving wheels 2 sets, the pony truck and wheels, cyclinder block, valve gear and the front portions of the coupling rods again 2 sets of them.

The wheel spacing front three wheel sets on the WD 2-8-0 is 5' - 3". The spacing between all the driver on the 2-10-0 is 5' - 3", this means I should be able to make a set of 5 equally spaced wheels from the two sets I'm ordering. We shall see when santa brings them.

It does not surprise me that the 9F is close to same size, given its origins. When I built my 2-8-0, it was interesting to see how cloise it was based on the 8F with LNER valvegear and tender. I was originally bothered about using the 8F wheels, but Norman Wisenden told me some Austerities ran with 8F wheels, sometimes a mixture, as I have also seen on some French locos of that period.

Archived