US electric layouts - What's out there?

Talltim

Yup. That's the class B. I'm not sure if the C's were some modified B's to get more TE, or new locos in their own right. My book collection doesn't stretch to too many non-PE tomes. I don't have much bookshelf space as it is.

I believe C's were converted into D's, but B locos stayed as they were or were converted into snowploughs.

Despite the limited sphere of operation, I think a B class locomotive would make an excellent choice for a RTR subject, after a GE 50 ton Steeplecab and a Baldwin-Westinghouse "B".

The Illinois Terminal C class locos were new builds, and the articulation was, as Andy suggested, to get them around sharp curves in street trackage. In later years there were a few belt lines built to avoid city streets. My traction book collection is heavily biased towards IT and other midwest properties! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

I have several of the PE's own built steeple cabs, (Baldwin close copies) and I find their compact shape and low steeple cab body style rather pleasing. Light and LCL freight was handled by a large family of various box motor classes. But those had considerable open freight space between the cab ends.

As far as having any other Mid West models,  I did catch a couple of new NS Electro-liners left over from a manufacturer' overstock at a ridiculous give away price. My quandry is to whether to have them in their blue-green NS livery, or PE red as free-lance imaginary PE/SP  LA to San Diego (and/or Santa Barbara) SP high speed inter-city service which ordered additional cars from the NS's manufacturer.

Their outward appearance is rather reminiscent of the APT-E. . . .

All this talk of Chicago has reignited my obsession with Wells St Terminal.

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/wells_term.html

wellsTerminal02.jpg

Image from http://www.chicago-l.org/

The tight spaces and sharp curves - the slight curve to the platforms - 100 rush hour arrivals etc. Although the Loop is still very atmospheric even these days - places like this must have been amazing in their heyday [or even during their decline] - it was knocked through and linked to the loop as a through station.

If you built a model operators would have to dress as apartment buildings to stand behind.

architects.jpg

regards 6

The North Shore Electroliners (only 2 ever built) were pretty much the APT's of their time. My likening them was more due to their having fixed short train articulation, streamlined (for then), double ended with unique sleek tapered upward sides just two doors, and promoted for providing the highest speed between two cities.

Andy

I think your a long the wrong shore line Tim I think Andy means the North shore electro-liner. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1624337

Although still not so sure about the APT-E though.

Sorry, it was just two posts in one, I'd just seen the photo so added it to the reply but wasn't meaning it was anything to do with Andy's post

The North Shore Electroliners (only 2 ever built) were pretty much the APT's of their time. My likening them was more due to their having fixed short train articulation, streamlined (for then), double ended with unique sleek tapered upward sides just two doors, and promoted for providing the highest speed between two cities.

Andy

I can see your point Andy there is a resemblance not just in the looks.

Archived