Relax and enjoy operating your lovely little layout...its yours and you can run whatever you like I reckon. Photos give nice feel to the layout.

regards, Andy R

Hi Andy,

Thank you for such kind comments! They are much appreciated :)

Normally here at Berry Pomeroy the branch terminus is operated with GWR authentic stock and locos but sometimes a regional interloper does creep in from time to time...

Thanks again, Andy.

Chris

Evening everyone,

Just grabbing some time here in between duties marking a pile of maths books from work (urgh) - a toss up between marking equivalent fractions or doing some modelling has no contest I'm afraid...still, I suppose it acts as a reward after doing my "homework".

Anyway, I began experimenting with an era change over this weekend into late GWR period which is taking some getting used to but I'm sure it will come in time. The new coal bunkers in the yard have had some extra detailing around them since this photo was taken but I much prefer this area now with the improved space and is more visually appealing.

post-19925-0-18267500-1454962352_thumb.jpg

Also, the goods yard area has had some minor additions since this previous shot was taken but I do like this very much. The grainy image setting on the camera does add some age quality to a shot sometimes, especially helping in poor lighting conditions.

post-19925-0-52395500-1454962367_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to work before some modelling can be done...

Enjoy your relaxation therapy in your modelling,

Chris :)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone,

I have to say how cold it has been over the last few days. Perfect weather for brisk walks in the glorious low winter sunshine and for keeping warm with a spot of modelling indoors.

The scene here at Berry Pomeroy couldn't be more different with warm summer sunshine hazing through the sky to keep everything warm. Building on my previous post, I had a dabble last week at an era change over and reverted the layout to more of a late GWR style to appearances and running. Other than changing the stock and vehicles around, not much needed changing over. The colour schemes were the same and the grubbiness could still be kept on from weathering. I mean, despite many rose tinted ideas and what we sometimes read in books about the wonderful GWR of old, stations, locos and stock must have accumulated a fair amount of "road dirt" and "muck" as anything does.

However, no rusty engines with missing cabside number plates and steam leaking all over the place in these days.

So, I changed over the station poster boards with GW ones from the excellent trackside signs range (I actually prefer these designs over the Western Region ones).

post-19925-0-08844800-1455655709_thumb.jpg

And the change of era did allow me the perfect excuse to run this gorgeous loco. It has been suitably weathered with some "road dirt" but not overdone. The 'B set' has also gathered an amount of dirt and needs a wash down in the yard pretty soon but adds nicely to the 'off the beaten track' branch line scene.

post-19925-0-68605200-1455655714_thumb.jpg

post-19925-0-50225400-1455656509_thumb.jpg

All in all, I did enjoy the era change. All frieght wagons were suitably weathered as well and frieghts were handled by 6757 pannier tank in the same GWR livery.

The layout has now entered this week back in the 1950's with everything changed over just as easily. Success! A nice change of scenery...sort of for a week!

Enjoy your modelling out from the cold,

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

The last time I posted on here it was bitterly cold and even more so today. Groundhog day indeed!

Hurrah! The new signalman has been appointed (since last update on here) and will soon be found on or around the signalbox in situ in due course. I am looking forward to getting round to including this important chap on the layout here.

Also, an order has arrived with some new luggage trolleys and barrows to sit on the platform to add extra detail. Unfortunately, I ordered some directly from Cooper Craft way back in JUNE last year (Yes, I gasped as well when I searched for the email order confirmation date) and they still haven't arrived. There does seem to be issues with production of certain items after speaking to the owner so I managed to find some alternatives. Just beware if you do or have ordered anything from Cooper Craft, there may be leaves on the line...until further notice. However, I do hope it gets sorted soon as they do make some excellent products indeed and I have missed seeing them in stock at the local model shops around the area.

However, to keep things ticking over, we have a shot here of 4666 engaged in a spot of light shunting around the yard with some containers. I do love pannier tanks, particularly the later variants with the remodelled and enlarged cabs and this fine model is one of my favourites. Lovely and smooth for shunting and nicely detailed externally. A perfect pannier indeed!

post-19925-0-36394500-1456421200_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hello Chris,

very nice pictures of the latest goings on at Berry Pomeroy, I have just recently updated my blog on Sproston, and also like panniers,I have three.

Afraid you will be waiting a VERY long time for Coopercraft - I had a run in with him last year, after waiting over six months for a few platform accessories, in the end I obtained them all from either Ebay ,or from Gaugemaster.com.

I cancelled the order with Coopercraft and demanded a refund - he grudgingly obliged- you will only get hold off him midweek (afternoons) and by phone- there is a long running thread on here detailing peoples problems dealing with him.

I hope you are successful,

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

very nice pictures of the latest goings on at Berry Pomeroy, I have just recently updated my blog on Sproston, and also like panniers,I have three.

Afraid you will be waiting a VERY long time for Coopercraft - I had a run in with him last year, after waiting over six months for a few platform accessories, in the end I obtained them all from either Ebay ,or from Gaugemaster.com.

I cancelled the order with Coopercraft and demanded a refund - he grudgingly obliged- you will only get hold off him midweek (afternoons) and by phone- there is a long running thread on here detailing peoples problems dealing with him.

I hope you are successful,

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info about Cooper Craft. I understand your predicament fully and I am so glad that I have finally found someone else who knows the problem I am on about. Even at exhibitions as an exhibitor and as a punter nobody seemed to know what I was on about when the subject did arise. I'm glad you have managed to obtain your refund and this is definitely on my hit list for next week after the arrival of some new platform trolleys and barrows from the excellent Dart Castings.

I have contacted the guy at Cooper Craft before a few weeks back and he wasn't particularly helpful, nor did he sound as if the broken machine is going to get fixed anytime soon. I did mention that the website does need to be altered to refrain from taking payment for orders that are never really going to be fulfilled if he is clearly moving at a glacial pace. I'm not sure how that business is surviving in all honesty.

By the way, I cannot believe that I haven't managed to catch your blog thread on here up until now. Very lovely indeed! Do you have a thread within the 'layout topics' area that I can follow?

Kind regards,

Chris

Hello again Chris - all I have is the blog - I believe you can" follow"" it on here by clicking on a tab at the top of the blog page, and so be informed of any updates to it.

With regard to the guy at Coopercraft, you will have to have dogged persistence and keep on hassling him,-  he doesn't do email, so the only answer is to keep calling him midweek (afternoons) and when you get hold of him ask for a FULL refund and get him to do it THERE AND THEN - he can do this via his third party payment app on his website - keep him on the phone while he does it, and get him to confirm when it is done.

You should get an email confirmation of the refund from his third party web payment app.

As I said there is a topic on here that runs for more than seven pages, (Coopercraft/Blacksmiths Models) detailing peoples woes when dealing with him and the general perception is don't....He seems to have no intention to fix his machine, nor alter his website and is simply running out the stock he still has.

You will need to be brusque with him - otherwise he will simply try and brush you off....

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

Edited by sigtech

Hello again Chris - all I have is the blog - I believe you can" follow"" it on here by clicking on a tab at the top of the blog page, and so be informed of any updates to it.

With regard to the guy at Coopercraft, you will have to have dogged persistence and keep on hassling him,-  he doesn't do email, so the only answer is to keep calling him midweek (afternoons) and when you get hold of him ask for a FULL refund and get him to do it THERE AND THEN - he can do this via his third party payment app on his website - keep him on the phone whist he does it, and get him to confirm when it is done.

You should get an email confirmation of the refund from his third party web payment app.

As I said there is a topic on here that runs for more than seven pages, (Coopercraft/Blacksmiths Models) detailing peoples woes when dealing with him and the general perception is don't....He seems to have no intention to fix his machine, nor alter his website and is simply running out the stock he still has.

You will need to be brusque with him - otherwise he will simply try and brush you off....

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

Hello again, Steve,

Thank you for the additional info. I seem to remember having to call him as he does not respond to emails. In all honesty, my partner and I have our own online model shop and we considered Cooper Craft as a possible supplier, however, the answer to this is definitely "no". I'm not sure what the guy actually does all day as, apparently, he is only in the office from 2-4pm. Bizarre!

Anyway, I shall let you know what happens next week and I'll have a search to find your blog.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Chris

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in an earlier posting, we have our signalman here at last at Berry Pomeroy. Thanks to some kind advice from Nick (the kind, skilful gentleman who owns Much Murkle), I managed to source an excellent model who looks the part here on the 'box and finishes the scene off nicely. For now at least...

So, here he is! Being such a warm and sunny afternoon, Albert 'Bert' Draper has taken a breather from a flurry of activity in the yard and stepped outside to rest on the balcony of his 'box.

post-19925-0-22790100-1456695316_thumb.jpg

I rather like this photo as the lighting effect is nice to give some June 'sunshine' and also highlights the detailing inside of the box too. It always makes me smile when I glimpse the levers inside the box during a running session as I really do like the detailing such as this.

Finally, the lighting works well here too to give the effect of strong summer sunshine making shadows on the bridge of the signal arms.

post-19925-0-66914400-1456695318_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I really must invest in a decent Signalman, your old Guy looks spot on Chris, Berry Pomeroy wasn't far from us when we lived in Buckfast and had our business in Buckfastleigh, a Lovely part of the Country.

Hi Andy,

Thank you. I agree on both accounts here; the signalman does look spot on now and finishes off the scene very well and I also have to agree about how beautiful the South Hams region of Devon is. I love holidaying down there! I think in many years to come, retirement beckons in such a location.

Kind regards,

Chris

• Like 2

With regard to the guy at Coopercraft, you will have to have dogged persistence and keep on hassling him,-  he doesn't do email, so the only answer is to keep calling him midweek (afternoons) and when you get hold of him ask for a FULL refund and get him to do it THERE AND THEN - he can do this via his third party payment app on his website - keep him on the phone while he does it, and get him to confirm when it is done.

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve)

Hi Steve,

Just to update you...I telephoned the guy at CooperCraft yesterday and asked for a refund on the non-existant GWR luggage trolleys and workman's tools that I ordered way back in June 2015. I must have chosen the correct time to telephone (during my dinner hour at work after teaching all morning and dealing with some pupils who had been little rascals all morning) as I didn't allow him much opportunity for excuses and fobbing me off. Success! I achieved a refund. Job done!

Incidentally, I've since purchased some GWR luggage trolleys from Dart Castings and I believe that they are of better quality as they are white metal as opposed to plastic.

Once again, thanks for the advice earlier this week.

Kind regards,

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

Well, the weather has warmed up outside at least and the days are starting to get longer. Hurrah! I do love Spring time and listening to the bird song beginning to chorus again.

I took a couple of nice shots last week during an afternoon of modelling and running services.

On a lazy summer's afternoon in between trains, the quiet, serene atmosphere around the yard allows a mischievous magpie the chance to perch on Mr Dobson's scarecrow in his nearby allotment. The weather must be grand given the state of his broccoli and sunflowers! July, 1956.

post-19925-0-64166600-1457639925_thumb.jpgpost-19925-0-99948200-1457639929_thumb.jpgpost-19925-0-50410300-1457639934_thumb.jpg

Enjoy your modelling and moving, progressively, into Spring,

• Like 13

Many thanks for the kind comments from John and Andy plus the 'likes' from the other kind folks too.

I really enjoy photographing the layout in the evening lighting conditions just as much as modelling and running trains too. A decent camera makes a difference and, even though I am by no means an expert photographer, I rather like how layouts contain 1000 stories by focusing on small areas, scenes, people, animals or just objects.

It's rather like having many small dioramas knitted together.

Many thanks, once again guys,

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in an earlier posting, we have our signalman here at last at Berry Pomeroy. Thanks to some kind advice from Nick (the kind, skilful gentleman who owns Much Murkle), I managed to source an excellent model who looks the part here on the 'box and finishes the scene off nicely. For now at least...

So, here he is! Being such a warm and sunny afternoon, Albert 'Bert' Draper has taken a breather from a flurry of activity in the yard and stepped outside to rest on the balcony of his 'box.

attachicon.gifDSC_0358.JPG

I rather like this photo as the lighting effect is nice to give some June 'sunshine' and also highlights the detailing inside of the box too. It always makes me smile when I glimpse the levers inside the box during a running session as I really do like the detailing such as this.

Finally, the lighting works well here too to give the effect of strong summer sunshine making shadows on the bridge of the signal arms.

attachicon.gifDSC_0359.JPG

Brilliant Stuff!

Looks like Bert is just also checking no one has nicked his bike!  :mosking:

Brilliant Stuff!

Looks like Bert is just also checking no one has nicked his bike!  :mosking:

Thanks Bob for your kind words.

Yes, I agree about Bert. Perhaps at the same time he is wondering when the chap who has been cleaning/repainting his box will shift his ladder? Apparantly, he disappeared for a quick tea break...2 hours ago! :dontknow:

Chris

Good morning everyone,

Easter is almost here which means (hopefully) increasingly brighter and sunnier days as well as the changing of the clocks, hurrah!

As it has been fairly decent weather of late I haven't tinkered about quite as much. However, today is rather drab, so perfect weather for keeping dry and doing some modelling bits and bobs.

I thought the platform here at Berry Pomeroy needed a few more figures to add to the population. The Monty's Models range from Dart Castings is ideal and highly detailed so here we have a painted and assembled selection of station staff. Unfortunately, the photos didn't come out as sharp as I'd have liked but they're acceptable for now.

The spring steam gala at the SVR last weekend was wonderful, especially with so many gorgeous GW tank locos in steam, 4566 and 1450 being very photogenic. I always have a soft spot for these two beauties. I may post some pics from the event in due course should anyone be interested to see.

In between trains can be a quiet and relaxing time, especially in summer. So relaxing, in fact, that Ted the porter has found time to doze off at the far end of the platform away from the watchful eye of the stationmaster!

post-19925-0-94773600-1458813599_thumb.jpg

As yet, John, the stationmaster, doesn't seem to have noticed with him being in conversation with Sam, the other porter on duty. Now what could the conversation topic consist of? Football results from Saturday? The wife? Or perhaps some chap called Beeching? Who knows, but we're too far away off the beaten track for anyone to bother with us...

post-19925-0-90568100-1458813614_thumb.jpgpost-19925-0-99476700-1458813628_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your kind words. Yes, they do look very realistic and the mouldings are superb. The luggage barrow sat on the platform next to the stationmaster and porter is also part of the fabulous Dart Castings range. Simple and quick to paint up using just acrylics. I really like how some of the models have querky features such as sleeves rolled up and hands in pockets.

I always tend to see figures on layouts at exhibitions just standing around looking as though they aren't doing anything. In reality, people tend to either stand in groups or if they are on their own it is usually for a particular reason, such as the porter here. The Dart figures are superb to give the impression that a conversation is underway if they are placed just right.

Kind regards,

Chris

Happy Easter!

Nicely painted figures and positioning.  I think Ted has the right idea!

I have a few of these to paint, unfortunately painting figures is not one of my favourite tasks so it keeps getting put off.

Keep up the good work and updates

Jules

Happy Easter!

Nicely painted figures and positioning.  I think Ted has the right idea!

I have a few of these to paint, unfortunately painting figures is not one of my favourite tasks so it keeps getting put off.

Keep up the good work and updates

Jules

Hi Jules,

Happy Easter to you too and many thanks for your kind comments.

I do often enjoy painting figures and small detailing items, especially ones as well detailed and fascinating to look at as these. I've just finished painting up and detailing a cable drum attached to a 1 plank wagon which should make an appearance in the near future no doubt.

York model show beckons this weekend and, oh look, Dart Castings have a trade stand... *purchase, purchase, purchase*

Enjoy the bank holiday and some relaxing modelling if you get chance,

Chris