To’N’bridge West Yard

carlw

The kind postman snuck a few items through the door this morning. That's the great thing about being a driving instructor. You get home for the post before SWMBO finishes work :-)

47734 + 5 BG's for £70 not a bad deal even if I say so myself.

post-7442-0-10140500-1430832033_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Double update today!

First up is the wiring. Next lot of connections completed on the isolation sections

post-7442-0-96401400-1431269933_thumb.jpg

Second is a new addition to the parcel train. Miles from home (not sure if one ever found it down this far) I was not going to miss the opportunity for only £1 as it had no couplings (the coupling boxes are intact the person just lost the springs and couplings)

post-7442-0-95547100-1431270114_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Today's update with the control panel is that I have made a real push this week to get it done and it has paid off with the completion of all the wiring on the panel for the power feed sections.

post-7442-0-23842500-1431861979_thumb.jpg

The next thing to do on this is working out how I'm going to mount the control panel to the layout. I'm thinking Piano hinge so that I can bend it out the way when not needed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

It's looking good, you get a sense of the size of it in the video. No idea if any BG's went south but 47's in scotrail did, even seen a photo of one on the cumbrian coast TPO back in about 91 before it finished. Hopefully see you at showcase over the weekend. Will be stewarding in the brewery centre when not looking around,

All the best

Mark

Hi Carl,

It's looking good, you get a sense of the size of it in the video. No idea if any BG's went south but 47's in scotrail did, even seen a photo of one on the cumbrian coast TPO back in about 91 before it finished. Hopefully see you at showcase over the weekend. Will be stewarding in the brewery centre when not looking around,

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I do have a photo of one of the 47/7's sitting in TWY. Just mot seen any of the BG's but at the price I paid I wasn't going to turn it down. :-)

I'm planning on going to Showcase on the Sunday, there is so many things I want to see and people to talk to so it's going to be a busy day, if only I could make both days. If I see you around I will defiantly say hi.

Cheers

Carl

I visited showcase on Sunday and it was a great show. There has been complaints on here about various parts of the exhibition but for me there is no complaints, reasonable price,lots of high quality layouts, good demos, variety of traders.

For me it was good to speak to several people and I would like to thank Paul Wade, Steve Farmer, Adam Warr and Mick Bryan, for many great chats. I would also like to thank the guys from FMRC for letting me have a play with Loch Dour "hope the wifi is not to broken".

Didn't spend to much money but most was spent with Adam as I brought myself a few side projects for the next few months.

post-7442-0-93385300-1433170928_thumb.jpg

I took several photos of TWY which I will add to Paul's thread.

Now better get back to the wiring!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update, but that's because not much has happened that is really visible.

The wiring has progressed nicely over the last couple of weeks, I have now got it to the stage that all the mains, jubilee sidings and yard tracks are completed. So all I have left is the fiddle yard, yard throats and then debugging (cough cough playing trains).

I have been purchasing stock off Ebay and have a good start on some satlink wagons and a new RES GUV for the parcel stock

post-7442-0-43013700-1435062586_thumb.jpg

I have also been stripping down various coaches in preparation for conversions using Electra Graphics. The next 2 photos are the start of a 4CEP. Stick it's nose in the corner of the last photo is a MK2 which is going to become HSRTC 999550 ( No Mick it's not Yellow!!! )

post-7442-0-70075300-1435062697_thumb.jpg

post-7442-0-62967500-1435062721_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been really busy with work this week so not much has happened.

I have completed the wiring for two roads of the fiddle yard.

I have also been working on HSRTC 999550. I have used Electra graphics for the body sides and repainted the two ends yellow. I not sure but I think that I need to add a shoe beam to the bogies but I haven't got any good photos of them.

post-7442-0-54500300-1435759948_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

These just turned up in the post this morning so I can crack on with the 4CEP. Getting hold of the TPM cabs for these are almost impossible, I think that the resin casting on these is much better than the white metal ones BHE produce.

Thank you Steve Farmer for providing them.

post-7442-0-51113100-1435842628_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This weekends work has consisted of counting bricks on photos and matching them to drawings the Paul provided. The plan for the signal box that Paul provided is not to scale as Paul had to adjust the size of the box to get it to fit on his layout, hence why I have been counting bricks.

The basic construction so far has consisted of 1mm card covered with scalescences brick paper. At the moment they are not connected and are just 2 separate rectangles.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do internally as you would be able to see through the windows. Paul do you have plans or photos for inside?

post-7442-0-09270000-1436722771_thumb.jpg

post-7442-0-83148900-1436722806_thumb.jpg

Edited by carlw
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Having got back of holiday last week progress has been slow again, so I thought I best get back in the loft and move some of the projects on a little.

This photo shows what I have been working on. Both driving cabs for the 4CEP have been painted and attached, also the wonderfully simple electra graphics added. I have also pushed the signal box on a little.

Adding from the last post I have painted the interior black, which seems to have hidden the inners well. All the roof panels have been cut (just need to work out how I going to colour these as my normal Scalescenes paper don't make a Felt sheet.) I guess paint is my only option. I have also painted the blue panels and added a strip of plastic as the lower frame on the control room.

post-7442-0-73796200-1438619290_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

It's been almost 2 months since I have made any progress reports so i thought it best to give an update on what has happened.

Progress is still being made, I have been running trains to test the wiring which showed up a couple of dead spots which have been rectified. I'm happy that at the moment all is working as expected so I have moved onto painting the rails. This has been a slow and labourios task but I would say I'm about halve way through it.

Work on the signal box has halted for the time being while I work out what I'm going to go to represent the felt roofing, I don't think this is going to be a show stopper as I think I'm going to have to just paint the roof to represent it.

I have not done any painting of stock for about 10 years so I have been experimenting with an OBA hand repainting it using Humbrol primer and Phoenix enamels. Seems to be taking a lot of coats for the colours to not be translucent. Is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent 2 hours in the loft this afternoon I have finally managed to complete the painting of the rail sides. It's only took about 5 weeks and almost 2 tins of humbrol 29 paint.

Going to have to start planning line side details now. Getting all cable troughs, relay boxes, hard standings, jubilee sidings walkway supports and anything else that will need placing before the ballast comes out.

Carl

Hi Carl,

Well done getting the rails painted!

For felt roofing I used really fine wet and dry paper cut up into strips, shaped, glued down and then painted.

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

I hadn't thought of using wet and dry paper. But that sounds like a good option, will have to do a trial.

Thanks

Carl

This weekend I have been working out the paths for the cable troughing and it looks like I'm going to need about 15ft worth for the two routes either side of the mainline. Initial plans was to use the Ratio packs but looking at how much I need and the cost, I feel it would be a better option to go for micro strip and score the surface to represent it. I'm thinking of using 2mm box section and I found reference of a website to it being just short of 300mm square. I can't however find reference to how long each section would be. Can anyone confirm there lengths so that I score them correctly?

The second thing I have been looking at is the 3rd rail, I am going to electrify the mains the same as Post 93 so that I can have tunnel traffic and the odd EMU heading from/towards Redhill. The plan for this is to use code 40 and chairs from Finetrax. Again this is the expensive option but I think it will look better than peco code 80.

This weekend I have been working out the paths for the cable troughing and it looks like I'm going to need about 15ft worth for the two routes either side of the mainline. Initial plans was to use the Ratio packs but looking at how much I need and the cost, I feel it would be a better option to go for micro strip and score the surface to represent it. I'm thinking of using 2mm box section and I found reference of a website to it being just short of 300mm square. I can't however find reference to how long each section would be. Can anyone confirm there lengths so that I score them correctly?

The second thing I have been looking at is the 3rd rail, I am going to electrify the mains the same as Post 93 so that I can have tunnel traffic and the odd EMU heading from/towards Redhill. The plan for this is to use code 40 and chairs from Finetrax. Again this is the expensive option but I think it will look better than peco code 80.

According to a previous thread on here, the sections are one metre long:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14555-cable-trunking-dimensions/

Don't forget that, although the Redhill line is electrified, the power supply wasn't upgraded enough to allow electrically-hauled freights. In fact, I believe it's even limited in terms of how many EMUs can use it at any time.

According to a previous thread on here, the sections are one metre long:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14555-cable-trunking-dimensions/Don't forget that, although the Redhill line is electrified, the power supply wasn't upgraded enough to allow electrically-hauled freights. In fact, I believe it's even limited in terms of how many EMUs can use it at any time.

Thanks for pointing me at the thread.

Carl

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow on things that was worth showing over the last few months but I have still been working on this project.

The track work has all been painted and tested and I'm happy with how this has turned out.

After getting to Warley on the Sunday I was able to stock up on several things. I bought a mountain of microstrip and plasticard, some components from MSE for the semi-signal at the Redhill exit, code 40 rails for the 3rd rail ( you can see some of it in the photos below).

Following a conversation with Steve farmer I have completed the roof on the signal box (talc does give a nice texture)

post-7442-0-62798000-1449668382_thumb.jpeg

post-7442-0-12894700-1449668415_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10