Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

SECAG Modular Meet - 27th June 2015

It's not being in the living room as much as the amount of things still to do like 16 pairs of legs...

Does it really need so many?

I know the spec is for each "module" to be self supporting, but RTS is a bit different as it really only comes into its own as a whole unit. So I see no issue with a break with the spec and have boards lean on each other.

I know the concept is "no module is essential" and this is really only going to be a test setup. But I see RTS as being the most "valuable" module from an operational perspective.

Just how much is outstanding? Perhaps bringing it along might enable idle hands to get it up and running?

There are ten boards that make up the module - it's a =O shape, with 8 pieces to make the circle and two forming the junction before it.

The boards are not "to standard" in their own right, only the end of the board which is double track where the junction begins are to 'standard'.

The circle is 6ft centreline (to minimum track radius), 12" wide boards so 5ft 6" inner and 6ft 6" outer radius.

Don't worry about the junction boards - those are easy, it's the 8 that form the circle that are giving me the problem.  I experimented with a pair of legs which are 45 inches (as per standard) high and 12" wide to fit the board, and whilst they held the board up they were not at all steady (although I fully expect once all 8 are connected it would be self-supporting and self-regulating.

I'm more than happy for people to suggest ideas, but be aware that my woodworking skills and tool availability are minimal.

That seems reasonable; I've tested a pair of boards together and the join (it's two bolts, plus the patternmakers dowels) seem relatively self supporting (as long as nobody leans or sits on them of course... so those in each of the four corners of a pair makes it 16 legs total instead of 32, and as I'd be putting bolts through the ends (holes already there) to join the boards it seems a reasonably sensible idea to be able to reuse those existing holes.

Am away at a wedding at the weekend so I'll not be able to experiment until next week but if the principle works then I may well transfer the idea to my other modules.

Woodwork is my weak point - hence the problem with legs :)

For the RTS module, most of it is simply single track through open fields so grass and ballast is sufficient, with a fence to follow.  The hard bit will be the curved station platform, although the platform edge is already down I just need to do the top surface (patience and filler - lots of filler methinks)

Any other suggestions for the "leg problem" before I start fiddling next week?

Not sure where I'd find pictures, but the curved boards I built for the ends of Warren Lane when it was 'full oval' were just supported on single legs at each board joint, literally a length of chunky wood with an adjustable foot at the bottom which could bolt onto the underside of the curved board. Because each board was firmly joined to it's neighbour and it was all a curved shape a single leg was sufficient. Same principle would apply for a whole circle......need pictures really but it works. Single legs sound unstable but think of them as the legs around the outside of a large circular table.

I think - at least if I understand SG correctly - would be for each of the 8 boards to have one leg, not one leg on the whole 6ft 6" diameter circle.

In principle I could see how that would work - the difficulty being that there would be nothing 'firm' to hold anything else up until the circle was complete.  As I can only work on part of the circle at a time conveniently at home, that probably wouldn't be practical in general terms for me.

Four individual "slot in" legs per pair of boards as per Dutch_Master's suggestion above, would probably work though.

Four individual "slot in" legs per pair of boards as per Dutch_Master's suggestion above, would probably work though.

So 4 legs (or six) to support 1 or two modules at home during constrution - and the same 6 or 8 legs (one per module) to use when the modules are in "show" unit mode.

That does mean 1 socket made in each corner o each module but only one of the outer corners actually being used in unit mode. 4 legs per module is just a waste of time and wood.

Just to give an update... the following modules are planned to attend.

Return to Sender (Cromptonnut) - double track to return loop
Estuary Bridge (Cromptonnut) - double track
Shillingstone (GRC) - double track
Linwell St Cleve Junction (Cromptonnut) - double track to single track junction
Devil's Bridge (Satan's Goldfish) - single track LH S bend
Norden Junction (Paul RHB) - single track 45 degree junction
Lulworth Branch (Paul RHB) - single track "filler" plain board
Devil's Bridge Curve (Satan's Goldfish) - single track 90 degree curve
Fiddle Yard (Cromptonnut) - 12ft fiddle yard with 6 x 8ft long storage tracks
Border Curve (Steve-E) - single track 45 degree curve
Devil's Bridge Sidings (Satan's Goldfish) - single track RH S bend with sidings
Badger's Vale (Steve-E) - single track
Kenton's Curve (Kenton) - 60 degree single track curve
Lulworth Castle (Paul RHB) - terminus station.

This gives us approx a 28ft double track run along the top (for some operational interest), trains for the Lulworth branch can reverse at Shillingstone for the branch or fiddle yard, or run along the full length of the layout and then on to the branch.  A train from the fiddle yard entrance to Lulworth Castle (or back to fiddle yard) via Shillingstone, RTS and back through Shillingstone again is an approx 115ft run.

Two more forms arrived today, a double junction and a single track curve, and another station.  So we now have two junctions, four stations (even if one of them so far is just platform edges, I must get my finger out and at least lay a surface) and it's all looking rather exciting, with the longest route available currently about 2.5 scale miles out and back from fiddle yard.

From little acorns...

There'll be enough of us there to manage to work out what's gone wrong if something has ... I think the bigger risk to be honest is the double track boards if people have misinterpreted the wiring or track spacing, single track you can't really go wrong as long as track is at the right level and 90 degrees to the edges of the boards (which reminds me... need to order some adjustable feet).

Archived