Peco double slip - Bonding stock and closure rails.

irishthump

Guys, can anyone help with this?

I'm planning on using a Peco SL-90 on my new layout and I'm wondering are the stock and closure rails already bonded on the double slip? A quick look at the under side of the slip shows that they may be, does anyone here know?

Sorry, Anthony. Just saw you're question!

By bonding I mean soldering a small jumper wire between the two rails which means the point blades do not have to rely on contact with the stock rail to conduct current.

It improves conductivity and allows you to paint the side of the rails without losing connection.

There's no bonding needed on any Peco slips.

Absolutely . . . but to perfect the reliability of operation, make sure you fit insulating fishplates on both legs of the crossing "V" at both ends of the slip and switch the polarity of the frogs. Did this on my DCC layout and it has been 100% reliable.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely . . . but to perfect the reliability of operation, make sure you fit insulating fishplates on both legs of the crossing "V" at both ends of the slip and switch the polarity of the frogs. Did this on my DCC layout and it has been 100% reliable.

For Electrofrogs yes, but the OP is using the SL-90 which is Insulfrog and does not need polarity switches or IRJs. 

For Electrofrogs yes, but the OP is using the SL-90 which is Insulfrog and does not need polarity switches or IRJs. 

Yes, sorry missed that he was using Insulfrog.

Agree with RFS, I have four SL-90 (code 100 insulfrog double slips) on my layout with metal fishplates on all rails and no frog switching and they work very reliably. The advantage of the electrofrogs is an extra 2mm. of conductivity on the frog (always an advantage) however if the track on the SL-90 and loco wheels are kept clean even my Hornby 14XX (0-4-2 with traction tyres on the drive wheels) passes over the slips without stalling.

Archived