7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

Hi Marty

That's a shame re your modelling time, even when I was working I would try and make some time at least a couple of times a week.

Even if it was just 15 minutes it usualy made me want to get stuck in to the modelling project which resulted in making more time.

If you are a TV junkie like me do some modelling in front of the TV you will be amazed at how much you get done.

I know this may be a little difficult in the share house.

Congrats on all the gigs that you have booked the wedding ones would keep you busy most Saturday's, sound's like you may actualy be making a living out of it now.

Have you got your Dapol Terrier Tank yet, I see they are out now, the Ozzy $ is a bit of a killer at the moment I wanted to get one but with having the C38's in waiting I have not been able to commit any more $$ to getting one I would have gone for the Blue one that is on the to be delivered list.

Are you going to get a chance to get to Liverpool Exhibition this year.??

I'm doing the station building right now. Waiting for the glue to dry whilst typing this.

post-14985-0-66005900-1442224655_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My net profit as an organist has never been great. Basically it is a self-funding music hobby, with an occasional surplus that helps fund the train hobby. In another 3 or 4 weeks I expect a small windfall which will probably fund the terrier purchase. I would like to acquire two, one to turn into a N67 and another to use keep as a British Terrier. I also plan on getting myself a Peckett E class for Christmas. After that, my acquisitions will be targeted towards carriages. CCA, FO, HCX, CX and working on the FR. The FR "kit" that I got was a discounted set of leftover castings from the production run and some of the parts did not match well enough to make two full sides. I have one complete side, which I will look into having a copy cast so that I can finish the kit. I don't hold it against the former proprietor as he did say that part were not available and he gave me a big discount because it wasn't really a "kit" but more a "scratch-builder's aide."

I have thought about perhaps doing my own scratch-build of a later version of the CPH, seeing that I was broke when the original production run came out and I probably won't have the funds for one if there is another run. Not to mention that I am rather keen on getting another Manning Wardle H class if a second run ever comes out.

I have thought about perhaps doing my own scratch-build of a later version of the CPH, seeing that I was broke when the original production run came out and I probably won't have the funds for one if there is another run. Not to mention that I am rather keen on getting another Manning Wardle H class if a second run ever comes out.

Marty Re the CPH Glenn from ModelOkits has had a second run done and has them Available now if your interested give him a call.

I would guess after Liverpool their wont be any left.

http://modelokits.com/nswgr-cph-railmotor-waratah/

I'd like a CPH, but I'm not prepared (read: able) to part with that much money for one. I can probably scratch-build one for about a third of the RRP of the RTR one and have the satisfaction of doing so.

I agree with you on that re the costs and know your situation re $$$

But for my 2 bobs worth, life is too Short to scratch build something that you could get a very nice RTR version of (provided funds are available) and is possibly a finer model than I could build.

I would choose a prototype to scratch build that no one is likely to do RTR. Say RM No2 that was converted from a end veranda car or No38 Creamy Kate.

I hope you do get to build one when you get some modelling time I'll look forward to seeing it.

For the Non Ozzy modellers some photos of the Railmotor referred too.

Creamy Kate

post-14985-0-09040300-1442379013.jpg

RM No2

post-14985-0-08585900-1442379072.jpg

The RTR model of a CPH

post-14985-0-87520000-1442379532_thumb.jpg

1-1 CPH

post-14985-0-68944300-1442379936.jpg

• Like 7

Don't really know why, but I do seem to like single power car passenger stock. :)

(Railmotors, single unit diesel railcars, doodlebugs, etc.)

Hi Switcher 1

you are on to something with the single unit passenger railcars they are really quite fascinating I have a few US variants in HO scale "Doodlebugs" and an HO & O scale CPH as mentioned above.

I think one of the big attractions is as a single unit they are a Complete Train in one you don't need any thing else to provide a passenger service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all its been a little while since a update

After a bout of the Man Flu and loosing a week of modelling picked up an even worse virus that has knocked me about massively

I Came good last weekend just in time to attend the National Model Railroaders Association ( NMRA) convention I took 2 models to enter in the modelling competition and managed to get, First place in the modelling compertion with my NSWGR 12 wheel Sleeping car.

Also a bonus placing in the non Revinue rolling stock category with a 2nd place, with the shunters truck that I recently built.

Then come the Monday I was hit again by the virus that has left me incapacitated so have lost another week in the layout build 3 weeks in total.

But made some great progress with my wife also getting involved today with the scenic base painting.

The station building is almost complete and the platform edge is taking shape.

Even built a sleeper built Ash buffer stop for the end of the line.

Some photos of the progress.

The buffer stop under construction test fit

post-14985-0-78653700-1443269446.jpeg

Scenic base being painted.

post-14985-0-76023600-1443269468.jpeg

The Tam car in the platform road.

post-14985-0-65957000-1443269620.jpeg

• Like 6

Some more photos of progress

The Ash buffer stop now has had the timber weathered with aged wood wash by Mig products to be filled with Ash tomorrow.

post-14985-0-75112800-1443275400.jpeg

The site Forman was in tonight.

post-14985-0-68223200-1443275599.jpeg

Inspection under way

post-14985-0-31792000-1443275618.jpeg

The station platform timber and brick

post-14985-0-32731400-1443275734.jpeg

post-14985-0-68920000-1443275799.jpg

• Like 5

Only just found this thread, and I must find time to read through it.

Some very nice looking modelling Chris, and the parrots a beauty!

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks Dave the Green Parrot "Wally" loves playing with the trains and has to check out anything that is new.

He just loves to have the sound locos running and always asks for the whistle.

Also will sit there making Chuff Chuff noises

TAM, S Truck and HG. Interesting consist on the branch line mixed!

Hi Martin just replied to your PM re Liverpool show give me a call if you like tomorrow in between playing the organ at services,

I will be doing layout scenic's, lost lots of time over the last three weeks should have been finished by now.

Re the train combo was just checking clearances with the HG's running boards and the TAM length with the curve of the point at the end of the platform. All seems good will have to get some locos out for a quick test too just to make sure I can run a Cheaky 57 class into the branch on a running in turn.

• Like 1

Chris

Congratulations on the wins!

Ope you're getting over the viruses

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon for the kind words

The Competition win was a nice surprise there were a lot of very nice models entered, I think the 72'6" passenger car was just so big in 7mm that it really stood out even with a lot of other O scale US 1/4" models in the comp, the HO models looked so small on the display tables in front of the O scale models.

I'm slowly getting over the virus, it's been many years since I have been this crook. Had the odd sniffle you know the it's going to be a modelling day type to recover, but this has been major illness combine that with the spinal injury getting aggravated due to the virus side effects I'll leave those to your imagination, safe to say not good. Even when I had had major spinal Surgery to fuse my lower spine, after 1-1/2 days I was up and moving, doing physio.and walking about.

For me to not get any modelling done is very unusual however this bug completely floored me esp with it returning after a first bout thinking OK it's past then getting hit again.

Got a lot of stuff done yesterday so its on with today and more scenic work.

Some more pics of the layout scenic's comming along.

A crossing to the goods yard went in today.

Also knocked up a representation of a loading bank for the front edge of the goods yard.this is Low relief in reverse on the front edge of the layout.

The ash filled buffer stop also had a peice of foam shaped as a filler and then covered up with Ash.

All photos show first flocking and earth base with the glue still drying will now get the Static grass out to add some depth to the base scenic's.

Some of the glue is still white as it is still drying.

post-14985-0-47389600-1443343786.jpeg

post-14985-0-76720500-1443343855.jpeg

post-14985-0-37525800-1443343896.jpeg

post-14985-0-36062500-1443343942.jpeg

• Like 7

Congrats on the contest wins Chris, bad luck on the flu though.

I have managed a few hours running in between wind squalls and rain.

I would have liked to have attended the convention but such things are out of reach for an indeterminate amount of time at the moment.

regards

Bob

Congrats on the contest wins Chris, bad luck on the flu though.

I have managed a few hours running in between wind squalls and rain.

I would have liked to have attended the convention but such things are out of reach for an indeterminate amount of time at the moment.

regards

Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the kind words

I'm Getting over the illness now fingers crossed it doesn't return again.

Great that you got some running in with the weather like that, we had that wind and rain during the last week would have blown the trains into the next yard if you were down here.

yes whilst the conventions are some times great to attend the theme was back to basics so you didn't miss much as we are well pass the basics stage.

In my opinion some of the talks missed the mark or were to basic for NMRA standards or in one presenters case he waffled on for 40 minutes about his employment history, Union bashing and trucking accidents he had, had and when told 5 min to go was shocked and said I haven't got to the trains yet.

The Talk was meant to be about modelling the Union Pacific in O scale but we never found out about that. Just saw 5 photos of his layout at the very end. Looked like it would have been interesting 50 car trains etc in O scale but we never found out any thing.

Got a Email today saying that the Awards for the modelling comp would be sent in the post thought it a bit strange to Win a National modelling Competition and just get a bit of hand written paper saying you got 1st place attached to the model.

Got some static grass growing in between appointments today and a dinner invite from Ian RMWeb Leadie69 and a very nice dinner it was too thanks Ian and Steve for the hospitality.

Also got to see the new scenic's on one of Ian's micro Layouts

not O scale but nice modelling link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96403-inglenook-with-more/?p=2021454

Glue is still wet but some more progress photos, it's amazing what you can get done with an hour of time here or there go and do something else whilst the glue dries, then a little more, it all seems to come together like magic.

post-14985-0-95775300-1443455706.jpeg

post-14985-0-29786700-1443455741.jpeg

post-14985-0-49945600-1443455779.jpeg

• Like 5

Finally got the lighting rig into the top of the Layout frame today and what a differance it makes to the visual impact with the black framing picture style around the layout and the two colours of LED's bright white and warm White really make a differance each colour on its own is just too harsh esp the bright white ones. And all up it has cost about $25

The lighting rig is basic two panels of core flute the stuff sign's are printed on with the LED's attached with double sided tape that comes on the lights and a couple of small cable ties to stop it falling down if the tape lets go, I have seen this at shows recently with the LED's tape letting go and the owners having to make a temporary fix, so the ties are a a safety measure only.

Just a few bits to do and all will be ready for the Show come the weekend.

The layout is performing the roll of a demonstration display anyway this weekend, so the items that aren't done will be done for its next Exhibition appearance.

post-14985-0-01858300-1443597396_thumb.jpeg

The lighting rig

post-14985-0-46059200-1443604239.jpeg

Edit added photo of overhead lighting.

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 5

Looking very nice Chris,and in such a short time.

There is definitley something very appealing about early Aussie railway`s,which you capture very nicely.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Thanks for the nice comments

At 41 years of age I missed the Australian steam age but I really do like the late Steam Era of the NSWGR when first gen Diesels were starting.

I do have a nice collection of books on the Steam Era so get plenty of inspiration, also we have a monthly Mag dedicated to Australian Railway History and I have a huge number of back issues they are full of plans photos and info going way back before I was around.

The little layout has been built to demonstrate to Australian modellers that you don't need a football feild to Model in O scale as is the popular way of thinking, down in Oz Bigger is better with many HO layouts at shows being 30 + foot long and you stand there waiting for ever for a train to appear so taking a que from many small British O scale layouts I decided a generic end of line branch station would be a good start then only model 1/2 of it with the sector plate to represent the station approach and rest of the yard.

Re the time of the build.

I Started the build with plenty of time to the Show that it was to be part of the Aus7 Modellers group Demonstration of O scale modelling a demonstration layout anyway.

But a few weeks ago I got very sick and lost 3 weeks of build time being laid up, I haven't been this Crook for years.

So the last week has had to be flat out in the time I have had, to get it to a presentable stage possibly gone a little overboard for a demo display but I intend to exhibit the layout as a stand alone exhibit one I finish it to the standard I want it to be.

Some items have been used from one of my other layouts as I had purchased a few kits etc put them in a safe place that was too safe and only found them on Monday so no time to build but a big bonus is that if modellers see it this weekend at the show the next time they see it will have some different structures and a photo back scene that will give it a different look again.

So the illness has a silver lining.

I will take some photos at the show and post up with the full setup may even get a few videos on Monday of the show as Ian, Leadie69 on RM web will be down to help with the display.

Also, My wife decided the curtains I had for my exhibition layouts were getting tired so she and her mum made some new ones today should look nice and fresh for the new layout.

• Like 1

Looking very nice Chris,and in such a short time.

There is definitley something very appealing about early Aussie railway`s,which you capture very nicely.

Cheers,

Brian.

Early? His models are all circa. 1945-1970!

The NSWGR was well known for rebuilding/refurbishing ageing equipment rather than replacing it. Mostly because it was easier to obtain funds for "repairs" or "rebuilds" than it was to purchase new equipment.

The mainstay classes of our locomotive fleet dated from the turn of the century. The 32 class (P class) were from 1892, 50 class (T class) from 1896 and the 30 class (S class) from 1903. Many of them were still at work into the 1970s. Noteworthy were the light 19 class (A class) locomotives which dated from 1877 - the last wasn't withdrawn until 1972!

!

At 41 years of age I missed the Australian steam age but I really do like the late Steam Era of the NSWGR when first gen Diesels were starting.

I.

Hi Marty.

Steady on jumping at the Early Era comment I'm sure that not every one in the UK is that worried by how early is early or Late steam re us down under colonials. Heck our trains run upside down too there's in the motherland.

I had already indicated the Era that I like see quote above "Late Steam" was my term I won't narrow it down more than that as I do slip a little each way to being un prototypical with all the models on shed. From the blue Caves express set Being Mid era Steam 1929 to the candy 45 being 1980's just a little bit of era slip

The NSWGR was well known for rebuilding/refurbishing ageing equipment rather than replacing it. Mostly because it was easier to obtain funds for "repairs" or "rebuilds" than it was to purchase new equipment.

The mainstay classes of our locomotive fleet dated from the turn of the century. The 32 class (P class) were from 1892, 50 class (T class) from 1896 and the 30 class (S class) from 1903. Many of them were still at work into the 1970s. Noteworthy were the light 19 class (A class) locomotives which dated from 1877 - the last wasn't withdrawn until 1972!

Hi Marty,Chris,

No worries with early comment,it`s all good fun........

Anyway,1972 was a good year for me,i was just being introduced to the world then!!.

So i suppose i could get away with the early comment.....could`nt i.... :tomato:

Like yourself Chris i have a broard era of interest, 1965'- late 1970`s,most of which i have never seen or can even remember,but heck like you say 'early or late', who`s worried,were all here to enjoy ourself`s....... :friends:

Look forward to some more pic`s,and my further edumecation in Australian railways!!.

Cheers,

Brian.

Edited by Tove