Leadie69 on RM web is a very creative small layout builder may be its due to the small room he has to model in or maybe it's due to the regular supply of unique items that he gets regularly from his place of work that could be turned into micro layouts and often do in a variation of scales from N to On30.

I present some photos of one of his more recent larger small layout builds that has been mentioned on another thread

This layout follows the inglenook format with the bonus of a passanger line that has a rail car shuttle.

Ian can follow this post up with more details.

Enjoy the Photo's

Over to you Ian

post-14985-0-36754500-1424772808.jpg

post-14985-0-22391900-1424772853.jpg

post-14985-0-12205000-1424773087.jpg

post-14985-0-89815600-1424773185.jpgpost-14985-0-53170200-1424773587.jpgpost-14985-0-58600500-1424773633.jpg

Chris/Ian,

thanks for that, pleased to see more, it is a cracking little layout! What are the overall dimensions of the layout? I really like the addition of the passenger line. Is the fiddle yard a simple siding setup or somethingore complex?

David

Thank you Chris - that's one way to motivate me to completing some of the pending projects on this layout. :)  I'm constantly amazed at how good the pics from your phone are!

David - If I remember rightly, it is 1.4m x .35m (I'll measure it when I'm in the train room tomorrow).  There is no fiddle yard it the moment - just a basic inglenook but I may add a simple cassette system at the left hand end for the goods line.  The Passenger line is fitted with diode sections at each end just long enough for the railbus and is currently manually activated (I'm waiting on a Gaugemaster shuttle from Hattons at the moment).  Current projects underway include static grass over the ground cover, more foliage on trees and people in the railbus.  I plan to make a partial interior for the warehouse too.

The pic below shows an overall view taken today (pics on my phone don't come out as good as those Chris takes)

post-15735-0-66308200-1424780110_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm almost finished with populating the road and rail vehicles - only a milk truck and police car left to do on the roads and a couple of loco crews for the engines.  I guess I'll get on with the static grass next.

I hope you all like the pics (you might have to zoom in on the road vehicles to see properly)

Ian

post-15735-0-63096100-1425507799_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-93566200-1425507808_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-32330100-1425507818_thumb.jpg

Thank you Chris - that's one way to motivate me to completing some of the pending projects on this layout. :)  I'm constantly amazed at how good the pics from your phone are!

David - If I remember rightly, it is 1.4m x .35m (I'll measure it when I'm in the train room tomorrow).  There is no fiddle yard it the moment - just a basic inglenook but I may add a simple cassette system at the left hand end for the goods line.  The Passenger line is fitted with diode sections at each end just long enough for the railbus and is currently manually activated (I'm waiting on a Gaugemaster shuttle from Hattons at the moment).  Current projects underway include static grass over the ground cover, more foliage on trees and people in the railbus.  I plan to make a partial interior for the warehouse too.

The pic below shows an overall view taken today (pics on my phone don't come out as good as those Chris takes)

Thanks for the information and apologies for the belated response... Definitely gives me some ideas!

David

Great little layout Ian. :good:  Will be looking foward to see further scenic details when they happen.

Inglenooks are great to operate with quite a few challenges as well. I too have built an Inglenook and it will be exhibited this year at Thornleigh in June (Epping Model Railway Exhibition).

Cheers, Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a day out and visited Ian.

Whilst there took a quick Vid of the shunting Layout and some more photos.

Ian has now got the rail bus on an auto shuttle a nice touch as it will passage whilst you shunt just adds a little extra interest.

I will sort through the photos and post some up later

Whilst you wait

Here's the link to the the video enjoy

https://youtu.be/_rOQhzqx4L0

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted anything about this layout so time for an update.

I've finally got all the static grass down.  For those that are interested, I just used straight pva glue, a Noch puffer bottle, a balloon and a vacuum - spread the glue with an old paint brush, puff on the grass, blow up the balloon, rub the balloon on my hair to build up a static charge, hold the balloon over the grass to help it stand up, lightly vacuum to get up the loose grass and help pull other fibres upright.  Thanks to SMR CHRIS for the balloon tip.

I've also made an inside for part of the warehouse - just some pics from the net fitted a little back from the windows but it does the job. Now I just need a basic interior for the large part of the building, a bit more foliage on the trees, a few shrubs and that will be it pretty much finished (although no layout is ever finished).

I hope you all like the pics.

Ian

post-15735-0-49168200-1430295540_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-63419100-1430295570_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-95257700-1430295599_thumb.jpg

post-15735-0-30479900-1430295628_thumb.jpg

Looks good in the photos Ian, looked even better in person.

I had the pleasure of opperating this little inglenook last Friday night and what fun can be had with a little engine and 8 wagons.

Shuffle the wagon cards and draw 5 and make up your train sounds easy but with the true inglenook "sidings" sizes this can be a challenge as you shunt the wagons back and forth. Sometimes it may seem that you just can't get that one wagon to the correct spot in the train as per the card shuffle but with some pre planning, all is possible even with the head shunt limited to 3 wagons

In all I had 3 card shuffles and the Little rail Bus provided a interesting interlude as it operates on an auto shuttle, past the yard.

Next time will have to keep count on how many times the rail bus passes to jus as a guide to how quick the puzzle was solved.

Thanks for a top night Ian

G'day Ian,

The static grass is an improvement, as is the interiors of the factory. Looking good. :good:

I made a static grass applicator for under $30.00 AU. All parts available from ebay/Oatley Electronics and Bunnings ! This may be useful to other modellers.

See here : http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10945&forum_id=12&highlight=static+grass

Cheers, Gary.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update but no pics this time.

I have just spent 3 days tackling some wiring on the inglenook.  I have done away with the control panel and installed a diode matrix so the points are now operated by selecting the siding you want to shunt with just 3 buttons mounted in a box attached to the handheld controller.  I have also connected a DC steam sound card from My Loco Sound.  It is a great little unit and adds a nice bit of atmosphere to playing operating trains.  The Hornby motorised uncoupling ramps are gone too as I will be adding magnets under the track and modifying the tension lock couplers to operate with them - I'm thinking I might even try adding delay arms to the hooks while I've got the soldering iron out.

Watch this space for a video soon (hopefully by end of this week) to show off the sound and new route control box.

Ian

Have you considered going down the Kadee route ?? Makes shunting a lot easier with delayed couplers and magnets. There is no need to rip up a length of track to install the Kadee 308 magnet either. I use 3 rows of five neodymium magnets buried between the sleepers and this works fine. I use this method on Linden Ford and my other shunting layout I'm currently building, Industry Lane.

post-14327-0-86641900-1432119363_thumb.jpg

^ Magnets installed between sleeper (code 75 track).

As for the 'My Loco Sound', is it worth the $$ ?? I have considered this for my son's layout.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Gary,

I've been toying with Kadee's as I already use them on my On30 micro so I may yet go down that path as simply assembling and screwing/gluing in place is certainly more attractive than soldering wire to Bachmann tension locks.

As far as the 'My Loco Sound' goes I am very happy as I predominantly wanted to add atmosphere rather than exacting loco matched sound.  The steam unit sounds great when connected to the layout and running through an amplified computer speaker at low volume - the supplied speaker is great for the 'top end' frequencies but it does need a little help from the powered speaker to fill out the 'bottom end' - that being said, if I hadn't been able to use the extra speaker, I would have still been very happy with the supplied one.  It is very easy to program with the supplied remote and I'm happy enough with it to have ordered a diesel unit tonight.  My pet hate with any sort of sound, be it DC or DCC, is folks having the volume too loud and everything sounding tinny and distorted, so my opinion has been formed by use at low volumes.  The service I have received from Peter of 'My Loco Sound' has been excellent and I would happily recommend his products (usual disclaimer - just a happy customer).

Ian

Hi everyone,

I've just put up a video of this layout on youtube. I need to tweek the sync on the chuff a little but it gives a good idea of what the MyLocoSound steam card can do when hardwired to a small layout with a bigger speaker added.

https://youtu.be/RVWSiCIMHTo

I hope the link works as this is the first time I've done anything with youtube.

Ian

Ian the video works nice work.

Sounds quite good Ian, like you say adds a little more atmosphere to running the railway.

Is that sound boosted through the PC speakers or is it the one that came with the sound card.??

Will see you Thursday

Nice little video Ian, and it doesn't sound too bad at all.  Have you used the whistle yet ?? I watched some of videos on Peter's site and overall, for the money, this is a cheap affordable sound system that does give the layout another dimension.

Cheers, Gary.

Thanks Gary. I have used the whistle and it sounds good - I prefer the single tone over the chime. The diesel card arrived yesterday so I hope to have that operating today - I'll put a clip up soon.

Ian

Hi again everyone,

I have just finished fitting a diesel sound card from 'Mylocosound' to the inglenook so I have put a clip up on YouTube.

Diesel sound on inglenook layout:

https://youtu.be/Wl3B6z5T9xY

I also made another video with the steam sound card using a pannier tank this time.

2nd video of inglenook layout:

https://youtu.be/RjycUjmQ1b0

Hope you like them,

Ian

Archived