The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

All good down this end of the Hwy Bob sorry for slow reply we had a massive storm cross and lost power here. Just came back on at 3 in the morning and the thunder/lightening is cracking around us so no sleep for me.

The 57 wasn't fazed by the down poor being 3/4 solid Aluminium.

Being DCC fitted now, I have the decoder set up to limit the top speed so there was no chance of speeding it up to get it out of the rain any quicker, top speed is set as a scale 35 mph. The Slaters wheel have enough oil on them to stop rusting so should be all OK.

As you can see in some of the photos there is still some wet spots so we weren't put off by the weather just made the decision the gusty winds may be the end of any lighter items of rolling stock, as in some spots it's a long way to the ground.

Peter has proved a sloping site is no issue to running out side just means the legs that support that section are quite long only issue its a long way down to a sudden stop if something goes wrong, also being a bush site there is no grass to cushion the landing.

Peter runs several scales-- O on the top, Garden gauge 45mm on the bottom. And until recently also had HO/OO but has gone indoors again with a small layout for his HO under construction.

This photo makes the O scale DJH Garret look like a HO model its amazing how big O looks in side but take out in the garden it doesn't seem that big any more.

.post-14985-0-93372900-1449679197.jpeg

• Like 7

My 59 wheels are rusting as I watch them ..and they are still inside :>)

A lot of O gauge here was part or fully outdoors in years gone by (toy sets excluded) as the average household was never big enough to run a suitable size train. Mine certainly isn't!

regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Chris, it nearly got wiped out by a tree branch a bit earlier in the day.

I'll be pleased when it has some headlights and numbers. There will still be plenty to do after that but those jobs can be done when I feel like it.

It does run nicely now after some teething problems.

I wondered if my 49 class lighting issue was a one off, obviously not!

I am hoping for a bedroom to be cleared enough to start building an indoor layout before winter.

Probably won't be O gauge due to lack of willing participants when it comes to shunting layouts. I'll probably settle for a double track continuous run in HO again.

regards

Bob

Thanks Chris, it nearly got wiped out by a tree branch a bit earlier in the day.

I'll be pleased when it has some headlights and numbers. There will still be plenty to do after that but those jobs can be done when I feel like it.

It does run nicely now after some teething problems.

I wondered if my 49 class lighting issue was a one off, obviously not!

I am hoping for a bedroom to be cleared enough to start building an indoor layout before winter.

Probably won't be O gauge due to lack of willing participants when it comes to shunting layouts. I'll probably settle for a double track continuous run in HO again.

regards

Bob

The perils of outdoor running I guess Bob.

The 41 class You weren't tempted To paint it in green?

I'm planning on doing the next Atlas RS4/5 to 40 class conversion in green as I think the lined green just looks the business much better than the brown on a 40 class.

HO looks really small when you start back in it after O scale modelling you probably like me couldn't give up al your HO Ozzy models when you went O you knew at some stage that they may be useful again. Esp in the winter month's up your way when there is icy weather outside having a room in the house nice and warm will be nice.

Re the 49 class have seen a few that were still DC models with inop lights etc.

I recently notice after your post about it that my number board lights are no longer lighting up will have to look at when I modify the bogies.

A question Bob re the drive shafts on your 49 did you use RC air craft fuel hose to replace them when they failed, as I plan to replace all the tubes when I fix up the bogies.

Ah, the 40 class conversion. About 9 years ago I went ahead and bought an Atlas RSD-4/5 and put a scale ruler over it to see if it was possible. Turns out that it basically makes a 1:45 scale 40 class, as the Atlas model is a little over-scale for 1:48. In the end I never finished the conversion because I realised that I wasn't interested in mainline diesel locos. Sold the project on via Bergs Hobbies.

Look forward to seeing your 40 class when it is done Chris.  I have a MTH RS3 to make mine from.

If you had got in and completed the job Marty you would have had something to run on Stringy Bark or Arakoola, Those wheels might even have got through the points on the yank thing in the centre of the 7mm layout at AMRA.

I remember the 40 in all colour schemes, just like the 41. I'm a tuscan and russet man but would be tempted to have a second one in green of either class.

You are spot on with the HO Chris. The outdoor layout is too cold in winter, even with a kero heater in the garage. Our group meetings are in the evening from 8 to 12.

I did indeed keep enough HO to start another layout if the O gauge proved impractical.

I did use aircraft fuel tube Chris. Some hard Chinese made variety if I remember correctly.

regards

Bob C

• 3 weeks later...

Today the 'short' diversion from the build of the 59 class is finished.

Given it was started before Bergs Hobbies announced their kit it is about time!

I present 4108.

1534455116_41weathered.JPG.2b6c0a2076cafe837c940921f93c8cff.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 5

There are some aspects of the prototype I hope to avoid Marty.  (grin)

It pulls its load of half a dozen bogie wagons up the ramp Chris. No weight added at this stage.

I would like to have the storage sidings at the same level as the track one day as some of the trains need my assistance to get up the hill.

Lowering the layout is not practical so raising the sidings and coming in via the outer track  has been on the plans for some time.

It will have to wait until I can move stuff from the garage to the shed to empty the shelving that is currently in the way.... and that will have to wait until I throw a lot more stuff into landfill!!

regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter Valley Mining did not have the services of a suitable engine to back the 'coalie' up the grade to the main lines this morning. It had to rely on the services of its ancient shed shunter ( a former NSWGR N67 class of 1875 vintage) to assist the old Fowler.

2081131208_72andfowleroncoallie.JPG.8f5ef6a470ac955de5b3b8dd79435c37.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Yes, my best guess was that it was a Roxey w/m kit originally.

I bought it when it had been done up as a 3-rail 1/4" scale NSWGR 18 class. I am assuming that is why the roof doesn't correspond with any of the kit photos.

The conversion as it stands is very close to scale for a 7mm N67. it is really only the upper part of the cab that is the major deviation.

The original was  based on Stroudley's Terriers. Perhaps the  'engineer'  of the works had copies of plans from his former employers in the UK. It paid to have friends in the drawing office. :>)

regards

Bob

That is almost definitely a Roxey Mouldings P class and not a "Terrier" kit. The P class were basically an attempt at making a smaller version of the A1 "Terrier" type.

The NSWGR N67 were built to roughly the same General arrangement, but a number of differences exist. The frames are a different design, being longer and a different shape, a larger cab and bunker, and the tanks extend further forward and for half the class are also taller than the terrier. The chimney is shorter, buffers longer, sandboxes, larger, etc, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I hosted a friend's grandchildren. Brother and sister;10 and 11 years. They spent an enjoyable afternoon shuffling about in the sidings while avoiding the trains circulating on the main lines. Only accident was down to me.

Instruction on use of the radio DCC throttles and manual point control took less than a minute and they were set.

My friend and I watched, drank tea and yarned while they had a ball.

Wish I had taken a picture.

regards

Bob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished populating the layout with a variety of utility poles today. Very much outdoor scale in construction.

Here is one.

1080583938_utilitypole.JPG.ec0c2474f9764fd47fa59d9e04da34cb.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is the test vehicle for my intended battery/radio control system to be installed in a loco (not built yet) to be used on both my DCC system and a city club 3-rail layout.

Soon to be vHunter Valley Mining's ex 4F. :>)

1973350421_4FBPRC2.JPG.40d2359c4a145a9926843441481037c2.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best of days to be outdoors running trains, so some small projects that have been put off for some time are being attended to.

First cab off the rank is the installation of the missing ventilators on my steel carriages.

They are made from guitar string ferrules and Peco track nails.

Not strictly correct but cheap and robust.

1670863611_mushroomventilators.jpg.52b1364531d685760e4366132adfc77c.jpg

Now to the next job. Fix a Kadee draft box that's moving about on one wagon.

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc

• 2 weeks later...

Today I am test running my token British train. Battery radio controlled....Deltang.

Sadly I can't convert these cheap 4F's into something NSWGR. So as we come across them, I will add more cheap wagons to the consist.

Kadee's are really out of place and 3 links would be a nightmare so I am using Powerline HO 'dunny seat' couplers. Call them 'stick assisted' auto couplers... no chance of buffer lock backing down my access ramp and they are unobtrusive.

P1030242.JPG.63b4b3bae206d887f4078c5e8d1618c5.JPG

regards

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 4

Hi Chris, I took this after the ice melted. Didn't take long for the rain to return unfortunately. -7C chill factor when I was taking the photos. I watched it run from inside the house   :>)

No snow yet, too wet.

I must get started on the indoor layout so I can have somewhere to run when rain stops play outside, the 59 class might have to wait a little longer.

regards

Bob