The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

Still deciding on total replacement of platform or replacement of sides with plastic and new top layer Chris.

I had just done a small touch up on the top when I decided to take that photo.

cheers

Bob

p.s. some positive comments on Arakoola at Telford on the Guild site

Edited by robertc

With the rain pouring down these days, it is indoor work time.

I hate ballasting but it has to be done so the sooner I get it done the sooner I can stop whingeing.

Here is a small part. Ash ballast for the sidings and rock for the mainlines.

attachicon.gifballasting 2.jpg

cheers

Bob

Your making good progress Bob

I'm guessing with the Dodgy weather there will be a good deal more soon

Some progress on the line Chris.

They finally got some of the spray paint I use on the track back in stock so that has speeded things up. Brush painting it all would have sent me mad ( or madder than I am already ).

Did have a break in the weather two days ago to do some outdoors chores. Hope to have the track all ballasted and back in running order in another week or so.

Some of the new Asian ply has warped, no issue with the old stuff from day one.

Another job to do or have a roller coaster siding.... decisions,decisions!  :>)

Was reading some old AMRA journals last night. Lines brothers offered to supply all service data to AMRA as well as all parts and bodies without the Triang name embossed on them to Australian customers. Not likely to see anything like that happen again !!

Hows things your way?

regards

Bob

Hi Bob the indoor layouts looking good in that last photo

Everything's good down my way

It looks like the seasons changing so it will be back to outside running up you way

We just had a Friday running night on Moonan Flats with a timetabled session train orders etc for the shunt.

4 trains on the layout

CPH 11 rail motor

3213 on goods No1, 6 wagons + BHG Guards Van

3108 on the passenger service BR independant + ACM branch line Sleeper.

1903 on goods No2, 6 wagons + BHG Guards Van

It's interesting to watch others do the shunt in the limited space of Moonan Flats I worked out the minimum number of moves/ quickest way etc only to see the minimum number quickly suparsed and the number skyrocketing.

It's interesting to see the combos others go to in the shunting of 12 wagons and then you can see them get stuck with one wagon in the wrong spot.

It really is a puzzle that you need to plan all your moves to get the out bound train Assembled and the incoming wagons positioned correctly.

Tonight was a much improved shunt time, last time we did it one Goods took as long as the entire sequence took this time.

Hi Chris, yes will soon be outdoor layout time again. I managed to get some outdoor scenicing done yesterday (lawn care) and ran a train or two later in the afternoon.

After weeks of rain I had to add a drop or two of Wahl oil to the track after I noticed some hesitancy in a couple of spots. While indoors powdered graphite always won the argument between 'nothing, oil and graphite', outdoors I am undecided. I guess both methods work, meaning I don't have to charge batteries!

I am impressed; all but impossible to get operators here. My regular group are all train watchers and you might as well hand them a tiger snake as a throttle :>)

cheers

Bob

Indoor weather again so I have done some scenery work in one corner

attachicon.gifshed scenics 1.jpg

cheers

Bob

Nice little scene Bob

The little X class looks right at home.

Re operators it seems more common now that they just want to watch trains rather than "Run a railway" up at the local Club layout they have to actualy "run a railway" due to the single line with passing loops design but they seem to forget that and (Adams family) head ons are not unusual (consequence of DCC) as they just set there train off with out looking what else is going on on the railway.

I visited Liverpool exhibition with a friends Small OO shunting layout and it got lots of interest but I did note a lot of "board looking" operators sitting behind big tail chasers layouts and that was only Saturday afternoon how would they be by Monday, we didn't get a chance to get board with the shunting plank plus all the questions from the lookers at the show as we operated from the front so as to interact with them as well.

It's good to see you have been able to get a running session in on the Out side layout as well Looked like a nice day.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Chris. good to hear you had a good time at Liverpool. I'll make it again one day.

The gauge one? 38 looks nice as do the 5"? gauge 48's.

I looked through some of your photos....Where does one buy a pith helmet these days? :>)

Which layout were you operating?

cheers

Bob

Doing some wood product structures at the moment.

The coal loader is first of the rank. Based on a small skip fed one in the Hunter Valley.

Scrap balsa and some corrugated cardboard ( not designed for modelling) are the main ingredients.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Plenty of atmosphere Bob

A really good way to make the most effective use of a small space use the corners.

We always did it with HO and with the larger radius of the Oscale curves there is a a comparably large amount of space that becomes very useful for sidings and industry scenes like on you new layout.

Thanks Chris, I am trying to block in the scenery at the corners. Next will probably be a wagon repair area.

How's things progressing your way?

regards

Bob

The corner treatments look just right Bob and also add to the operational potential.

Not to bad at the moment I'm doing a revamp on a O scale Plank at the moment I should put up some posts about it on my thread.

It's just a single line with a siding it came with some other items from an Estate auction last weekend

I picked up a little O scale tank loco 2 LCH hoppers and they came with a 2.4metre (8ft) scenic plank it's no wonder no one else bid than me so got the lot for the starting price, as you had to take the lot and the 2.4m length just fitted between the dash and the tail gate of the wagon, I'm giving the scenic's a once over and have split the layout in two so now have 2, 4ft sections much easier to transport the a 2.4m long piece, also had to cut a peco point in two as was across the middle of the new join between the two boards the little layou can then find a new home at least the size won't put people off now.

I made up a couple of locating dowels to help line up the joint and they work well and there has been no miss alignment of the point I also made the Point DCC friendly and added a few feed wires to a DCC bus

post-14985-0-59214600-1476885291_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 1

Good pickup Chris, however there are not many O gauge NSW modellers so we can't afford to be losing them.

If the joiners are tight there should be no issues cutting the point there. Probably will get more interest if the plank is wired for DCC.

regards

Bob

No we can't be loosing too many of them however it's a sad fact many modellers choose to switch to Oscale very late in life, A mistake I think, modellers should do it earlier, if you are ever considering it, you will get a lot more out of it over time slowly building a collection of Locos and stock and building a layout rather than a big change and then try and build a new layout before they fall off the perch,

Here's the little loco and the 2 LCH hoppers

Been busy painting the rails this morning

post-14985-0-84706200-1476924683_thumb.jpeg

Haven't tested it yet looks like it has been sitting for some time though will need a good clean and lube before any running and then DCC installed. I will also try a Keepalive in it with its short wheel base a few other Locos in the que in front of it though.

Edited by SMR CHRIS