2mm Finescale circa 1985

2mmMark

• RMweb Gold

Here's a series of images I've rediscovered of my first 2mm finescale layout Straightsmouth. It was a very simple affair, 3 turnouts - a loop plus a siding.  Built in an initial burst of enthusiasm, I used a lot of converted N gauge stick, although the Drewry tram is a Langley kit on my first ever scratchbuilt chassis. I was quite proud of it at the time, hence it being in a lot of the photos.  These were taken with my 1st SLR, a Practica BC1, using a very nice 35mm fixed focus Zeiss lens.

The buildings were hacked about Peco kits, the station was a conversion from the Peco goods shed.  Scenery is very much of its time, various flavours of Woodland Scenics. The trees are a bit naff, they were "Jack Kine" bottle brush style. I remember my wife-to-be and myself making a whole load of trees, keeping the best for the layout and selling off the remainder at an exhibition. Beverley was quite chuffed with how many we sold.

Track was phosphor-bronze rail onto PCB sleepers. Eventually I got bored with the layout and gave it away. A solid week of operating it at IMREX took the shine off it. It wasn't a bad start, all things considered. The fiddle yard sector plate still exists and is in use on my current layout Burwell Fen.

post-7249-0-34588400-1430560891_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-29483800-1430560894_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-70582400-1430560897_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-24933900-1430560900_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-74330100-1430560903_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-21863500-1430560907_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-60960900-1430560910_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-86303200-1430560913_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-38148700-1430560917_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-64274200-1430560887_thumb.jpg

Mark

• RMweb Gold

As someone who was a member in those days. I can remember the poor quality of much N gauge stuff so I think it must have required quite a bit of work from you.

Don

Allowing for the lack of colour (I am used to the lack of colour in magazines of the period!) that would pass as a 4mm layout for the scenic detailing (of its time - not meant as any sort of criticism: it looks good!) - but the thing that DOES stand out is the track!

Edited to say: when I say it stands out, it doesn't - it looks like real track: I'd bet if you showed a close-up of the track no-one would be able to state the gauge with any certainty!

The third picture up from the bottom shows what I mean about the track...

And the one below it! That makes the N gauge of the period (and even now!) look like oversize girders

• RMweb Gold

But at least if it was replicated today, there are better track options, the locomotives/units have all been updated and scale length fish vans can also be obtained.

Yes indeed, things have vastly improved. I took a lot of short cuts in my early 2mm days and tolerated quite a lot of inaccuracies in the stock. 

The track options at the time were PCB sleepers with or without chairplates, cast whitemetal chairpins and the newly introduced moulded trackbase with very thin sleepers. Rail was the plain strip code 40, available in somewhat recalcitrant 10 yard coils. I chose PCB without chairplates as it was simple & quick, plus the newly available plain track soldering jig meant less need to straighten the rail.  Bullhead rail came a bit later.

The turnouts were built with interlaced sleepers as it was supposed to be a Scottish layout.  What I think I got right was the ballasting (fine grey beach sand) and weathering of the track.

What I really wanted was more a light railway feel but I got seduced by the easy conversion and very acceptable running of Farish diesels.

The photos were taken with a view to writing an article for MRJ which I never got around to.  Colour was still a long way in MRJ's future then. Ilford FP4 was the medium of choice.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

The plain code 40 strip dirst onto PCB sleepers did give a fairly lightweight looking track. I still have the track jig and some bits and pieces from those days.

Don

The plain code 40 strip dirst onto PCB sleepers did give a fairly lightweight looking track. I still have the track jig and some bits and pieces from those days.

Don

Connerburn was all laid with that, albeit with chairplates.  When I added an extra siding I did that in plain rail also so that it would look the same as the rest.

Jim

Archived