Homebrew DCC Controller

I am currently in the process of building a DCC controller for my shunting layout "Pot House Sidings". 

Of course I am well aware that there are commercial options - but I enjoy designing and building.

The controller uses a PIC microcontroller to generate the DCC signal (once the software is finished).  PICs have come on enormously in the past few years since I built my last DCC controller and a controller with a whopping 8k of memory (!) can be had for a couple of Euros.

If all goes according to plan, I will also interface with a Raspberry Pi to produce layout sound, without the cost of buying sound decoders for my Locos.

I produced the front panel a while ago, but as is often the case (too many projects, too litle time) progress stalled.

DSCF0581_zps6ea7b495.jpg

This weekend, I got around to building the electronics.

DSCF1055_zpszbjtvcix.jpg

The large 40 pin chip in the middle is the PIC microcontroller, and the smaller chip to the right is a MAX232 which is an RS232 line-level converter.  This will be used later to interface with the Pi.

As far as software goes, up to now, I have only written some test routines to test the LCD...

DSCF1056_zps8lincau8.jpg

... and the RS232 interface

DSCF1057_zps0bbccs2o.jpg

More to follow, as development progresses.

That was also one of the concerns that I had. The Pi may also be a bit on the slow side, but I haven't got far enough to know one way or another yet.

However A standard RS232 interface will also allow a more powerful PC to be connected if necessary.

• 1 month later...

Take a look at Paco's stuff at http://usuaris.tinet.cat/fmco/main_en.html

He designs dcc control using the Lenz/roco standard.

All of his stuff is simple and tested.  He provides code and schematics too.

He has command stations, boosters, throttles (including wireless) and accessory decoders.  All of his stuff is free to use and he's good at answering questions.  By going with a standard protocol like Lenz, you can use store bought items with it as well.  He even has a computer adapter for Rocrail or JMRI.

Greg

Archived