N6 Horse Box

At the recent Epsom and Ewell show, I acquired an etch of the said horse box from Nbrass, whose owner is having a clearout of ancient 2mm etches. It's shot down from the old PC 4mm etch, now available from 51L/Wizard Models.

The NRM has some drawings, which I intend to get, but I haven't yet located a photograph I could reliably identify as a N6.

Does anyone know of any photographs, either in collections or books of these, preferably in the late '20s.

Mark A

At the recent Epsom and Ewell show, I acquired an etch of the said horse box from Nbrass, whose owner is having a clearout of ancient 2mm etches. It's shot down from the old PC 4mm etch, now available from 51L/Wizard Models.

The NRM has some drawings, which I intend to get, but I haven't yet located a photograph I could reliably identify as a N6.

Does anyone know of any photographs, either in collections or books of these, preferably in the late '20s.

Mark A

Great Western Journal five part Horsebox articles

GWR Horse Traffic and Horseboxes - Part 2 icon_feedback.gif

John Lewis

Issue 78 (2011)

p.339

John Lewis introduces the second part of his horsebox study by considering the individual vehicles, starting with those older 'boxes built between 1870 and 1901 (Diagrams N1 to 9). None of these survived beyond the Second World War, but, as we shall see, they set out the standards to which the later diagrams largely conformed.

Mike Wiltshire

He also says the N6 boxes were incredibly camera shy and knows of only one picture. This is as converted after passing into departmental use. There is a diagram in the GWRJ, which I happened to have open on the table as I read this thread.

Are you sure it's an N6?

He also says the N6 boxes were incredibly camera shy and knows of only one picture. This is as converted after passing into departmental use. There is a diagram in the GWRJ, which I happened to have open on the table as I read this thread.

Are you sure it's an N6?

This photograph is in the Russell Coaches book No 1: Fig 62 on Pg 5 as a Tunnel Inspection Van (thanks to John Lewis on the GER elist). What is it about the Russell books? Brilliant sources of information, let down by rubbish indexing.

Mark A

Archived