A new member with a warning to all other DCC/Hornby members....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Onefunkyman for this very useful topic. I have just got round to chipping my Caerphilly Castle, (having kept in the box for a couple of years) only to find that Railmaster can't read the CVs. I too had run it in successfully on DC before hand.

Thanks also to Matt Roe for the hint about disassembling the plug with the aid of a scalpal. This meant that the fix was quite straight forward which has saved me a lot of faff trying to contact the manufacturer.

With regards to the quality control at the manufacturer, I wonder if the Caerphilly Caste batch may have been on the whole poor - my tender would not come apart because the cab end hand rails was glued to the chassis and when I was finally able to prise it apart the water tank filler flap fell off - is this what is meant by "Special Edition"?

Alas Onefunkyman's sentiments about boycotting the products whilst understandable may be in vain, I have also tried chipping another manufacturer's GWR ROD 3000 2-8-0, which showed the same symptoms - not reading CVs in program mode. A trial in normal mode using the default address resulted in blue smoke and a short circuit.... 

FYI

Now into the eighth week and I'm returning a loco to Messrs Hornby for the third time.

Initial running problems, a replaced tender chassis ( containing the dcc socket ) which doesn't match the original lined chassis.

Returned to me yesterday from their Quality Control dept and placed on DC track. Ran as it should have done eight weeks ago. Happy so far.

Decoder placed in socket and, placed on programming track and ....... Yes blue smoke ! Despite being assured all was fixed by their QC dept. Telephoned the person who's dealt with this straight away and asked me to return it.

It's going back AGAIN first thing Monday and a personal letter to the CEO will follow again. This has become more than fixing faulty goods and I will not let this carry on.

Very, very disappointed.

£30 was for a replacement chip, it was damaged rather than erased Alan - but cheers for the info.

Well it's 2016 now and Hornby still haven't resolved this, i am now boycotting all Hornby hobbies ltd equipment and am solely using Bachmann instead - and some scratch built stuff of course!

How is this so hard? stupid Hornby! John Humphrys is the guy who promised to resolve this, he even phoned me and talked me through what he'd offer - still nothing.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON Hornby PRODUCTS, BUY SECOND HAD OR GO ELSEWHERE - DON'T GET CAUGHT, IT'LL NEVER BE FIX AND WILL PUT YOU OFF FOR LIFE!

Dave

Dave,

Zimo repair at £30?

You may have been overcharged. ZIMO has a fixed price of £15 for repairs not covered by their warranty which should include the sound project.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived