Railway "in-house" logistics

There's probably an obvious answer to this but just how were operational supplies distributed? How did loco coal get distributed: a block train to a major centre makes sense but how was it split down around the district? Were there depot stores trains tripping coal, sand, fire bricks, brake blocks and the myriad of other essentials out to the lesser depots or were these added to local pick up freight services? Add to this just how were the more esoteric supplies conveyed? Were there other "departmental" wagons besides loco coal, sleeper, ballast and sundry other p-way specialities, or was general revenue stock requisitioned as required? In short....... how the heck did the railway companies keep their various far-flung outposts supplied with everything needed to keep them functioning? (the sub-text is I"m looking for ways to make the stock seen on a small branchline more interesting).

Hard to give a comprehensive answer, but I'd say that in general railways used dedicated wagons and vans for the distribution of essential supplies.  Wagons would usually be identified as being for loco coal (and usually limited to a particular depot or area).  An erstwhile K's kit conferred some degree of fame upon a Great Eastern loco sand wagon (which would have carried a non-standard green livery and had a restricted range).  Other parts were carried in stores vans - again dedicated for the railways' own service.

As to how the supplies were moved - I guess it depended upon volumes.  An isolated outpost that might hand coal its locomotives directly from wagons probably saw those wagons arrive and depart via a regular pick up goods.  Larger depots would have dedicated workings.

I recall reading an account of how drums of oil were stood on the generous front footplate of an LMS crab for local distribution from one shed to a sub shed.

• RMweb Gold

The GWR had a very centralised stores system for general stores based on Swindon.  Thus if a station Porter needed a new broom and there wasn't one in the stores at the station the Station Master would order one from Swindon and it would be delivered the next time the stores van arrived.  The smaller stations were supplied locally from, say, a junction station or whatever as the stores vans (which worked to regular timetables) didn't go everywhere.  I don't know how stationery was distributed back then but in my time BR's central stationery stores were at Crewe and supplies were ordered from there although, again, some locations acted as local stockholding and distribution points.

Consumable loco stores such as brake blocks were distributed from works and I've no doubt the same was done with lubricants and so on.

Overall stores distribution seems to have been very efficient - in fact on the stationery side in my view things got worse after central distribution ended and stuff was on local purchase with niminated suppliers who were a  lot slower moving stuff out from their central depots than Crewe had been.

GWR Stores Van No1. South Wales Winter 1946-47

Monday dep Swindon 07.15

Monday - Bristol for transfer between trains, Swansea (High St)t u

Tuesday - Swansea (H.St), Neyland, Swindon

Wednesday - Loading at Swindon

Thursday - Swindon to Gloucester, Newport, Cardiff (General), Swansea (H.St) - forwarded to Neath overnight

Friday  - Neath, Pontypool Road, Newport, returned to Swindon

Saturday - Loading at Swindon

Archived