Trainspotting in California?

Richard320

Saturday night/Sunday morning 20/2 thereabouts, there was a derailment and quite a fire inside the tunnel at the Tehachapi Loop itself. A tank car fullof Ethanol burned itself out. Needless to say, that line is closed for the moment, all traffic is rerouted. Most of it will likely go through Los Angeles and up the UP coast line. So if anyone had plans, you'll need to adjust them.

Video

Myself - I'm off today (Monday) so I think I'll make the drive over to Cajon Pass - there ought to be a lot of rail traffic!

27215_331401022832_106139777832_3608463_6836563_n.jpg

19560_331978847832_106139777832_3611001_658669_n.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's quite a blaze. I was only there in January and stood near where the photos were taken. I would imagine that the UP traffic from the South will go up through Denver and over Donner, the coast route is single track for a lot of the way and will not have much capacity. However Cuesta Grade should be fun with helpers from San Luis Obispo. At least Cajon has the capacity now that it's all 3 tracked.

Just on the subject of the fire, when I was there I was talking to the foreman of a UP track gang who had just replaced the rail where the fire was. He said that the rail onlhy lasts a year but it looks like he will be back earlier than he expected to replace it again.

Jamie

Saturday night/Sunday morning 20/2 thereabouts, there was a derailment and quite a fire inside the tunnel at the Tehachapi Loop itself. A tank car fullof Ethanol burned itself out. Needless to say, that line is closed for the moment, all traffic is rerouted. Most of it will likely go through Los Angeles and up the UP coast line. So if anyone had plans, you'll need to adjust them.

Myself - I'm off today (Monday) so I think I'll make the drive over to Cajon Pass - there ought to be a lot of rail traffic!

Hi Richard,

I see Hulcher did their usual trick and got the trains running over Tehachapi again this past Monday. Those boys are amazing what they can do. Evidently the DPU lost radio contact with the head end power. It, the DPU, kept pushing and derailed a bunch of tank cars amongst others. The fires started at the denatured alcohol car which spread to two plastic pellet loaded cov hops, they caught fire and melted everything, ties and all got burnt up.

Cheers, Tony

Archived