Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Another picture quiz

Wish I'd spotted this one earlier. Recognised it instantly. I work under it every day. If you walk up Jeffrey street, you can see a short stretch of round bar railings where the bridge joined the road. The bridge part through the roof was ostensively intact until the remodelling work left just the girders. There are other remains dotted throughout the station like the bridge over platform 11 that was accessible by lifts and went over to the sub. There were wall mounted signal cabins on the north and south walls the access gate to one is still visible on the main footbridge above platform 10.

There is a dent in the wall at the west end of the station, just near the old west box, where the shunters bothy used to be, an 08 derailed in its siding there and pushed a stone in.

A place like the Waverley has many old tales.

I think you can see the Jeffrey Street end of the footbridge in the 1972 BBC documentary that Martin Wynne alerted us to in this thread.  Around the 26 minute mark there's a slow panning shot of the east end of the station which seems to include the footbridge, just visible as a dark linear feature above the corner of the station roof, running roughly ten o'clock to four o'clock and aligning with the darker section of the roof under which the walkway ran:

gallery_23983_3473_10553.jpeg

Archived