I'm having an issue...

peach james

OK, so as the topic says, I'm having an issue.  I built what should work as a DCC stationary decoder as per Myna Bay's instructions, with the opto-isolator between a Arduino Micro and DCC.  The electronics side of this I have working, and I have played around with various sketches in Arduino to generate lighting effects.  The problem I am having is as follows:

In file included from DCC_Monitor.pde:1:0:
C:\Users\James_2\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DCC_Decoder/DCC_Decoder.h:131:11: error: 'prog_char' does not name a type
     const prog_char* ResultString(byte resultCode);
           ^
Multiple libraries were found for "DCC_Decoder.h"
Used: C:\Users\James_2\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DCC_Decoder
Not used: C:\Users\James_2\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DCC_Decoder-master
Error compiling.

When I go to compile the DCC_Monitor file in 1.6.3.  It's not the only error, I find I have to change the <> to " " on the DCC_Decoder.h file before it will work at all.

So, what am I doing wrong?  Any suggestions?

This happens because the Mynabay software has not been updated to work with the latest Arduino development software, where the 'progchar' instruction has been deprecated.

There are 2 possible solutions:

1: Download and install an older version of the Arduino development software. Older versions are still available on their website.

2: Goto my blog, software page, and download a new version of the DCC decoder software:

www.rudysmodelrailway.wordpress.com/software/

One of the problems that really irritate me is the development of the systems moves on but 3rd party libraries not updated.  I have 4 versions of DCC library software.  Wish there was a central "official" storage space.

prog_char data type was removed and PROGMEM is now used to store variables in the program memory space (lots of software using non-updated will not compile because of this).

Really easy to fix this problem yourself.   All you need to do is open the library(ies) and find/replace all instances of prog_char with PROGMEM.  Will now work, well mine did.

Regards,

CFJ

Archived