Peco Collett 0-6-0s - reliability of early models?

orcadian

I bought one of these little locos when first released (? July 2007) and immediately put it into storage for a planned future layout - without testing it. (My fault- I now know I should always test within the guarantee lifetime!!!)

It has just now been tested for me by someone else. From the start it was very slow, and after a few minutes of gentle running-in, it has died completely. Did many of the early ones have an issue with chip or motor reliability, please?

Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

A happy ending! Although this unused loco was well out of guarantee, Peco have fitted a new chip and, I think, a complete new mechanism, all free of charge. It now behaves perfectly. So well done, and thank you, Peco!

The moral of the tale remains valid - even if you intend to put a brand-new model into long-term storage, test it as soon as possible after purchase! Then any problems will be found within the guarantee/SoGA time-frame and can be addressed. Probably in the present era of short run and batch production, more of us will be buying soon after an item is released, even if it is being bought for a 'future project'.

Richard

Archived