Loksound v4 - Linking function outputs to prime-mover sounds.

D400

Hello,

Another "is it possible to?" thread! Bit of a challenge this one and I'm not sure it is possible... I want to link the output of AUX2 to the "notch up" element of a sound set so when the locomotive notches up it actives said function.

So far I've managed to get it to work only when moving, but ideally it should only be when the engine is ramped up, illuminating for a few seconds then turning off again.

Any thoughts?

Bruce

Bruce,

With the Loksound v4 you can map Auxiliary outputs (and many other physical outputs and 'logical' functions) to any individual sound clip(s) in the entire project. So yes, linking it to the rev rise before moving off would be possible, if set up by the programmer. Similarly, ESU's new smoke unit can have its fan and heater independantly linked to each and every sound clip in this way, making claggy start-ups and even claggier departures possible. All I need is an extra 80 hours a week to add this capability to my projects!

The user could enable similar functionality by mapping the Auxilary output to the notch up function via CV's. As always the Lokprogrammer (or a Sprog?) makes this task a lot easier.

What's your plan for this, flames coming out of your Class 37 exhausts on take-off?! If you linked it to a lighting output you could use a red LED and the firebox flicker effect for this! You read it here first.

Bif

Bif,

You've rumbled me! Flames out of the exhaust is exactly what I'm planning on doing, using the method you suggested. And yes, it is one of your chips that I am trying to add this function to.

37906 had/has a wonderful habit of through flames out of the exhaust when "thrashed", so ideally I want AUX2 (with firebox flicker) to come on during the higher end notch up, so when its "given the full beans" you get a brief flash of fire before it settles down.

Next question then is can I achieve this by changing CVs? I have a Sprog of sorts (actually a Roco Multimaus Pro with USB link) but didn't know where to start in the architecture. Any hints?

Cheers,

Bruce

P.S.: Not too bothered about smoke, as it is impossible to recreate the thick black smoke that 37906 chucks out anyway!

Bruce,

If you are daft enough to try this by doing the hardware mods I am daft enough to help you by setting up the chip to set Aux2 at just the right times! Better to do it in the sound project than via the notch-up function. Have a think about exactly when you want it to happen and let me know. I'll make the necessary amendments to the sound project and reblow your chip (free of charge). Should be an interesting demonstration if what is possible.

Years ago in our office we experimented with a Class 26 with a tiny 'vibrate' motor out of a mobile phone blu-tacked on top, to see if we could simulate the rocking from side to side they do on start-up. I don't recall it being that successful though.

Bif

Archived